• The KillerFrogs

This stat tells a different story than the gurus on my TV

FrogLifeYo

I think we'll be fine against the run..we've been excellent all year..I'm curious if we can consistently get pressure on Baker without having to blitz to death. The match up that concerns me the most is their TE on our LBs..They are very creative at getting the ball in his hands and he can kill you. Howard will have to have his best coverage game yet. LBs will be tested big time with crossing routs by the TE and RBs who they also seem to throw to more then most teams..This game Is a football nerds dream

Sebastian S

I think it's fairly obvious, the star on that offense is Bakey Mayfield and his ability to extend plays.

We need to get pressure on him to make a stupid decision. Even if we don't get to him, make him run for his life.

We need Ben Banogu to eloquently and respectfully smack talk Mayfield, tell him it's going to be a long night.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I think it's fairly obvious that we have a GMFP defense that will be at their peak level of performance in an important road game. What is a question mark is whether we have an offense that can perform at the level seen at Ark. or OSU. What we saw at ISU won't cut it.

PO Frog

Impressive.

What's the biggest difference on why our defense is playing better than last year?

Combination of age, new personel and getting more rest due to the change in the offense?

Is this OU offense better than last year? They Graduated some key players, we should be able to defend them better than last year right?
First, we are better than last year because our front four are miles better than last year and probably any other year ever at TCU. They are holding opponents to the second lowest yards per carry of any CFB team in the last decade. Just fantastic at stopping the run, which allows GP to use his genius with the rest of the D either in coverage or blitzing.

Secondly, they are better because they are on the field less. Whatever you want to say about our offense, they are top five in the country in converting third downs, so they stay on the field waaaaay better than last year. GP even commented on this yesterday. Works wonders when you have to defend fewer plays, often with a lead...

Last year, the offense couldn't stay on the field and the defense couldn't get off, as both units were awful on third down. Both have reversed that problem and are top five in the country in that aspect.

cdsfrog

We gave up 23 ppg less. They scored about 17ppg more. It's gonna be a very interesting game. Obviously Kenny hill played awesome in some of those and horrendous vs ISU. Needs to at least be consistent and turnover free like week. We don't need him to be great, just solid and turnover free.

Last edited:
W

Way of the Frog

First, we are better than last year because our front four are miles better than last year and probably any other year ever at TCU. They are holding opponents to the second lowest yards per carry of any CFB team in the last decade. Just fantastic at stopping the run, which allows GP to use his genius with the rest of the D either in coverage or blitzing.

Secondly, they are better because they are on the field less. Whatever you want to say about our offense, they are top five in the country in converting third downs, so they stay on the field waaaaay better than last year. GP even commented on this yesterday. Works wonders when you have to defend fewer plays, often with a lead...

Last year, the offense couldn't stay on the field and the defense couldn't get off, as both units were awful on third down. Both have reversed that problem and are top five in the country in that aspect.

The depth of the defense this year has been a big factor and I think this is the deepest defense TCU has ever had under Patterson.

Frogs are legitimately rotating 8 defensive linemen and multiple players in the secondary. Result is that most of the players are not going 60-70-80 snaps and you can see it in how the defense moves for the entire game.

cdsfrog

The depth of the defense this year has been a big factor and I think this is the deepest defense TCU has ever had under Patterson.

Frogs are legitimately rotating 8 defensive linemen and multiple players in the secondary. Result is that most of the players are not going 60-70-80 snaps and you can see it in how the defense moves for the entire game.

No doubt. Defense was still finding it's footing early on especially versus SMU. Now it's pretty impressive for the entire 2 deep. Gives a ton of flexibility. Often seems like defense gets stronger as the game goes on, opposite of last year.

CountryFrog

We gave up 23 ppg less. They scored about 17ppg more. It's gonna be a very interesting game. Obviously Kenny hill played awesome in some of those and horrendous vs ISU. Needs to at least be consistent and turnover free like week. We don't need him to be great, just solid and turnover free.
This is a better way of looking at it than just taking points scored or points allowed, but even this is a bit misleading in favor of OU I think. Because the OU defense was giving up so many points in those games their offense was forced to score as many points as possible for 60 minutes. For TCU, the Texas and KSU games were essentially over midway through the 3rd quarter and the offense was just in protect the ball and run out the clock mode.

So basically, the fact that the TCU defense is so good results in a few games where the offense doesn't score as much as they could have otherwise because it's not what is needed to win the game. Whereas, for OU, almost every game they've been in has required their offense to spend 60 minutes on the gas pedal and their offense has been scoring at maximum capacity as a result.

jake102

Yep. Only guys who don't rotate are Texada, Gladney, Howard and Small

FrogCop19

Great offense; bad defense vs. Average offense; great defense

Took me a second read to get this, but I get where you're heading. I would have put it as:

Great Defense vs. Great Offense; Average Offense vs. Bad Defense

But the concept still holds true. To use your analogy, I would much rather be in the Average/Great camp than Great/Bad. We've been there before, and it's no fun.

I think we'll be fine against the run..we've been excellent all year..I'm curious if we can consistently get pressure on Baker without having to blitz to death. The match up that concerns me the most is their TE on our LBs..They are very creative at getting the ball in his hands and he can kill you. Howard will have to have his best coverage game yet. LBs will be tested big time with crossing routs by the TE and RBs who they also seem to throw to more then most teams..This game Is a football nerds dream
Expect to see some wheel routes. TCU has been vulnerable to them historically and vs UT was no different

W

Way of the Frog

Took me a second read to get this, but I get where you're heading. I would have put it as:

Great Defense vs. Great Offense; Average Offense vs. Bad Defense

But the concept still holds true. To use your analogy, I would much rather be in the Average/Great camp than Great/Bad. We've been there before, and it's no fun.

I don't understand the idea we are average offensively.

hindry

KH may have a great game, a real world beater, baker mayfied , TTU #'s kind of day but OU defense will never have a great game, nor a good game , nor a mediocre game

OU Defense will have a [ Finebaum ]ty game to go with all their other [ Finebaum ]ty games.

the question will be, what kind of day does our Offense need to outscore OU?

that's is the question.

cdsfrog

This is a better way of looking at it than just taking points scored or points allowed, but even this is a bit misleading in favor of OU I think. Because the OU defense was giving up so many points in those games their offense was forced to score as many points as possible for 60 minutes. For TCU, the Texas and KSU games were essentially over midway through the 3rd quarter and the offense was just in protect the ball and run out the clock mode.

So basically, the fact that the TCU defense is so good results in a few games where the offense doesn't score as much as they could have otherwise because it's not what is needed to win the game. Whereas, for OU, almost every game they've been in has required their offense to spend 60 minutes on the gas pedal and their offense has been scoring at maximum capacity as a result.

Agreed with all of this. Stats favor us IF we play well IMO