• The KillerFrogs

This stat tells a different story than the gurus on my TV

PO Frog

Expect to see some wheel routes. TCU has been vulnerable to them historically and vs UT was no different
You ain’t kiddin. On the big 4th down conversion by UT, Evans got totally lost and we are lucky it didn’t go for 6. On another one, we had Banogu in coverage and luckily the throw wasn’t great...
Could be 14 points if we get caught like that against OU instead of UT’s inept offense.

Oh, and Darn Baker Mayfield.

W

Way of the Frog

Why?

Great sometimes, horrendous once, average other times. Seems about average to me. Really slightly above average.

Just curious, what is the benchmark for an average offense?

The lowest statistical ranking the Frogs offense has this year is 55th in passing yards per game. Frogs are in the top third of the country in 4 of the 6 team offensive categories.

Here is the link to the NCAA stats:

http://stats.ncaa.org/teams/113629

hindry

First, we are better than last year because our front four are miles better than last year and probably any other year ever at TCU. They are holding opponents to the second lowest yards per carry of any CFB team in the last decade. Just fantastic at stopping the run, which allows GP to use his genius with the rest of the D either in coverage or blitzing.

Secondly, they are better because they are on the field less. Whatever you want to say about our offense, they are top five in the country in converting third downs, so they stay on the field waaaaay better than last year. GP even commented on this yesterday. Works wonders when you have to defend fewer plays, often with a lead...

Last year, the offense couldn't stay on the field and the defense couldn't get off, as both units were awful on third down. Both have reversed that problem and are top five in the country in that aspect.
good point. one of the differences last week was in the 4th our D still had gas and UT offense didn't . hence several bad throws by QB. i think the run game gives our D time to R&R so in the 4th they still have hustle.

cdsfrog

Just curious, what is the benchmark for an average offense?

The lowest statistical ranking the Frogs offense has this year is 55th in passing yards per game. Frogs are in the top third of the country in 4 of the 6 team offensive categories.

Here is the link to the NCAA stats:

http://stats.ncaa.org/teams/113629

Has to do more with what your worst is.

Iowa State does not have that great of a defense. Our offense scored zero points against that defense.

Peak is top 25 offense. Bottom is one of the worst in the country. That's where I get slightly above average.

4 Oaks Frog

How many points did our common opponents score against our D vs Oklahoma’s D is a good question to ask.
GO FROGS!!
BEAT ou!!
Spit Blood~~<~< and [Baylor asshoe]!!

W

Way of the Frog

Has to do more with what your worst is.

Iowa State does not have that great of a defense. Our offense scored zero points against that defense.

Peak is top 25 offense. Bottom is one of the worst in the country. That's where I get slightly above average.

So by your definition a PEAK defense is a top 25 unit.

Huh.......so were do you rank an Iowa State defense that ranks 20th in scoring defense in the country? Granted they have padded those stats a bit by playing an average TCU offense, that plodding Big 10 Iowa group that dropped 55 on THE Ohio State, and then who was that other ranked team they beat. Damn I can't remember, but I think they were pretty decent offensively as well. I mean at least average right?

Sebastian S

We play that ISU team 10 times, I am confident we win 8/10.

That was just a bad and odd day. We were moving the ball and just couldn't get it done in the red zone.

I'd like to gauge our offense on what it did to the Texas defense, that's probably a more accurate comparison.

OU put 518 yards on Texas, 289 over the air and 139 rushing.
TCU put 343 yards on Texas 166 over the air and 177 rushing.

Given our game was more in control.

The Oklahoma State game was weird, like our ISU game.
OSU put 428 yards on Texas, 241 over the air and 146 rushing but only scored 10 points in regulation.

W

Way of the Frog

Absolutely. Stats aside, all that actually matters is how well both teams play Saturday night.

CAN'T WAIT!

th

cdsfrog

So by your definition a PEAK defense is a top 25 unit.

Huh.......so were do you rank an Iowa State defense that ranks 20th in scoring defense in the country? Granted they have padded those stats a bit by playing an average TCU offense, that plodding Big 10 Iowa group that dropped 55 on THE Ohio State, and then who was that other ranked team they beat. Damn I can't remember, but I think they were pretty decent offensively as well. I mean at least average right?

Iowa State has a good defense, They are not Alabama. Iowa put up 44, UNI 24, OU 31, WVU 20. I bet Oklahoma State puts up 21+

We got 7 points, offense total was zero. Again you are splitting hears and welcome to do so. When Hill plays really good, our offense is top 25, probably top 10. When he doesn't its one of the worst. When Hill plays safe and doesnt commit turnovers (last week) its slightly above average.

Slightly above average. If you want to say good Im fine with that too. While the last 2 games are not indicative of the whole season they are the only 2 good defenses we faced. If we played like we did against Texas I imagine we win and thats not even the best we are capable of on offense.

I'll end with this. Elite offenses dont score zero points and 17 less overall than UNI

W

Way of the Frog

I am splitting hairs?

You give me a bench mark of a PEAK unit is Top 25 and then you don't accept the standard when I show that ISU is #20 in scoring defense.

You measure the merit of this offense off their worst day of the year and not the body of work. You must be a blast with peer reviews.

It truly is amazing how so many look for the rain clouds instead of enjoying the sunshine.

cdsfrog

We play that ISU team 10 times, I am confident we win 8/10.

That was just a bad and odd day. We were moving the ball and just couldn't get it done in the red zone.

I'd like to gauge our offense on what it did to the Texas defense, that's probably a more accurate comparison.

OU put 518 yards on Texas, 289 over the air and 139 rushing.
TCU put 343 yards on Texas 166 over the air and 177 rushing.

Given our game was more in control.

The Oklahoma State game was weird, like our ISU game.
OSU put 428 yards on Texas, 241 over the air and 146 rushing but only scored 10 points in regulation.

Agreed I think we win 8/10 as well. And I agree that elite defensive teams usually prevail over elite offensive teams. But that game did happen and it shows just how bad the offense can be. We have seen just how good it can be too. Hopefully the good one shows up. Defense and Special teams I am confident will show up.

cdsfrog

I am splitting hairs?

You give me a bench mark of a PEAK unit is Top 25 and then you don't accept the standard when I show that ISU is #20 in scoring defense.

You measure the merit of this offense off their worst day of the year and not the body of work. You must be a blast with peer reviews.

It truly is amazing how so many look for the rain clouds instead of enjoying the sunshine.

What I am saying is our offense scored zero points against a team they gave up 44 to Iowa and 24 to UNI. While they are good they are not world beaters. That bad of a performance to me indicates at the very least our offense isnt consistently elite.

Where you are splitting hairs is in regards to good vs above average. Great is off the table. Offense is not great.

Sebastian S

Whats crazy is that I think we have more playmakers on offense that can really change games than our defense.

Defense is great as a unit but not that one dominant player like a Jason Verrett or Jerry Hughes.

A lot of potential on offense to be great.

H0RNEDFR0G

We gave up 23 ppg less. They scored about 17ppg more. It's gonna be a very interesting game. Obviously Kenny hill played awesome in some of those and horrendous vs ISU. Needs to at least be consistent and turnover free like week. We don't need him to be great, just solid and turnover free.

But it's worth noting, we had comfortable leads in those games, and cruised to victory. Could we have scored more points in those games? I believe we absolutely could have. But we were in situations where there was no need to take risks. Baylor, UT, KSU, and OSU were in those games with OU until the very last minute.

cdsfrog

But it's worth noting, we had comfortable leads in those games, and cruised to victory. Could we have scored more points in those games? I believe we absolutely could have. But we were in situations where there was no need to take risks. Baylor, UT, KSU, and OSU were in those games with OU until the very last minute.

100% true especially last week

Sebastian S

Baker Mayfield is in the heisman talk because his teams defense is so bad(Reminds me of RG3.... they may have ran up his stats,)

He should be able to sit out the 4Q but his defense keeps the other teams in the game.

cdsfrog

Baker Mayfield is in the heisman talk because his teams defense is so bad(Reminds me of RG3.... they may have ran up his stats,)

He should be able to sit out the 4Q but his defense keeps the other teams in the game.

That and what other QB is in the mix? Lamar Jackson has 4 losses, he just outdueled the #3 QBR last week (hes #2), and #1 Khalil Tate just got crushed by USC and had 3 turnovers.

Hopefully he gets dominated Saturday and that would permanently end his Heisman talk. Such an arrogant cocky little [ Finebaum ].