• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU fans lose big in schedule change

OLjtl61

All while pissing off the most important customer. The fans. Love CDC but this is one decision I can't praise him for.

Why even build the stadium. Just move all home games to Arlington. That would have saved time and effort.

Ive been to jerry world more than I care for to watch TCU play. After sitting in the top rungs at the LSU game I told myself no more. Sorry, but I don't see that as a pleasurable college venue. I'd take the decrepit Rose Bowl without all the fancy trimmings over Jerry World any day of the week. I'll sit out the opportunity to pay $150 for a fourth level nose bleed seat - Or upwards of $500 for a seat where you aren't watching the tv screen. darn jerry and that stadium. Its not a college venue.
At what point do you not prostitute yourself out for another $$? Maybe its just me- but I've passed on a lot of job opportunites promising more money as I would be giving up on other things. Given the choice, I and probably everyone else would pay another $100 a seat at AGC to watch the game- which would have made up the difference in the two venues.

OLjtl61

Taking Jerry's money is just like accepting a bowl game invite and their money. . THe bowl offers up $x dollars to the school, BUT the bowl also requires the school to buy $x + 50% to be in the bowl game. Jerry isn't dumb- he will charge ticket prices to more than make up for the money TCU will make. I expect ticket prices to be $150-$500 a seat. But money should not be everything
As mentioned before, TCU should have presented the facts to their season ticket holders and asked for our input. Hands down I'd pay Jerry's prices to see the game in AGC vs. a neutral venue.
CDC- Please don't Briles TCU out at every opportunity- that diminishes the brand! Sadly however, he'll have this decision as part of his yearly achievements which brought in more money to the school, and that's all that matters. Another decision on TCU's part which makes me slide toward a tv fan, vs. a loyal must sit in a seat at the stadium fan. But as Mack stated, these decisions won't take roost for decades long after CDC and GP are gone. There was a time when TCU appreciated me and the 15,000 other loyal season ticket holders. Many Ohio State fans benefits by the move, TCU fans don't.

Nick Danger

Ive been to jerry world more than I care for to watch TCU play. After sitting in the top rungs at the LSU game I told myself no more. Sorry, but I don't see that as a pleasurable college venue. I'd take the decrepit Rose Bowl without all the fancy trimmings over Jerry World any day of the week. I'll sit out the opportunity to pay $150 for a fourth level nose bleed seat - Or upwards of $500 for a seat where you aren't watching the tv screen. darn jerry and that stadium. Its not a college venue.
On top of that, hasn't playing in "Jerry World" lost most of its' allure and luster by now? I just don't see playing there as a big deal anymore, certainly not enough to generate "two weeks of ESPN wall-to-wall coverage" as someone proposed above. Doesn't "familiarity breeds contempt" apply here since I doubt there's a single high school football player in the State of Texas, in any of its' dozen classifications that hasn't played there at least once!

punter9

yea it sucks it is in Jerry World I hate our games there against big box schools. We are no longer the home team, we don't even have enough alumni alive to fill the place. Which is probably part of the deal.

Anyways, on CDC there is no mention of any leverage he may have had or had placed against him. Even though this isn't an ideal venue for a small private school his next best option may have been worse. It's business and it's negotiating position. Faced with the dollars of ESPN and tOSU it's a losing battle. If we didn't agree they may possibly have said fine we'll cancel, deal with the lawsuit, and schedule somebody else where we will make the same or more money. NBD. To us it would be the game that will make or break our season in the eyes of the comittee if we end up with a good amount of wins since the national rhetoric is the b12 sucks

OLjtl61

Won't go. My home theatre has a much better viewing experience than wherever TCU will get in Jerry World for a reasonable price.

Recruiting would have been better to have a packed Carter.
Agreed-
Recruits seeing a packed Carter filled with Purple taking on Ohio state would be epic-
Vs. playing Ohio state at Jerry World, full of Ohio State fans? Further negative recruiting when the big U schools tell the kids how TCU has to play the big dogs as "road games"...vs. the big venue games in their own stadiums.

tcumaniac

There's a fine line between making the best financial decision for your institution, and simply exploiting your fan base.

TCU continually errs on the side of exploiting its fan base.

TCU may not see the repercussions of these decisions right away, but fast forward a few years when Patterson is no longer the coach, or when TCU football has had a few back to back losing seasons, and they’re going to be VERY sorry they took for granted their loyal fan.. because even your most loyal fans have a breaking point.

texas_sicilian

TCU sold out on this one, plain and simple. Jerry cut a big check because why would he pass up an opportunity to make money from tOSU coming to town, and we caved for the almighty dollar.

Spin it how you want, this stinks. Basically means our big ticket OOC games w/TCU home stadium advantage (and fan experience) can get poached whenever JJ pleases.

Last edited:
There's a fine line between making the best financial decision for your institution, and simply exploiting your fan base.

TCU continually errs on the side of exploiting its fan base.

TCU may not see the repercussions of these decisions right away, but fast forward a few years when Patterson is no longer the coach, or when TCU football has had a few back to back losing seasons, and they’re going to be VERY sorry they took for granted their loyal fan.. because even your most loyal fans have a breaking point.
You still upset that you're no longer allowed into the student section ... some "loyal fan"

texas_sicilian

I keep thinking that maybe OSU had a lot to do with the decision and it wasn't totally up to CDC.
“The Cowboys approached TCU probably a year ago and wanted to move their home game to Jerry World,” Martin Jarmond, Ohio State's Deputy Athletic Director, Gene Smith's right-hand man and football scheduling guru said on Thursday at the Fawcett Center. “At the time they approached us and we weren't interested. They came back again and came back again and finally, we entertained it because TCU, mutually we agreed to go there. And they were going to pay us to go there.”

AroundWorldFrog

“The Cowboys approached TCU probably a year ago and wanted to move their home game to Jerry World,” Martin Jarmond, Ohio State's Deputy Athletic Director, Gene Smith's right-hand man and football scheduling guru said on Thursday at the Fawcett Center. “At the time they approached us and we weren't interested. They came back again and came back again and finally, we entertained it because TCU, mutually we agreed to go there. And they were going to pay us to go there.”
LOL. And you believe that 100%?

texas_sicilian

You want big time football? Here it is. Deal.
Getting tailwhio
LOL. And you believe that 100%?
They now have a crappy OOC schedule the following year because of it.

Which is harder to believe, we cashed in on tOSU coming to town because Jerry wanted to poach the opportunity, or tOSU preferred to collapse the series to a single game, in Texas, and weaken their 2019 schedule?

Last edited:

OmniscienceFrog

But he sold way too short. Suppose he offered it to the season ticket holders that there would be a $200 upcharge to keep the game in Fort Worth as opposed to losing the home game outright? He would have made an additional $6 to $8 mill or potentially $4 mill more than the JerryWorld offer.

How many season ticket holders would have gone for that? Almost all if not all.
Ohio State had no intentions of ever coming to Fort Worth for a game at ACS. It was going to be played at Cowboy Stadium or it wasn't going to be played at all.

Latest posts