• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU fans lose big in schedule change

OLjtl61

There's a fine line between making the best financial decision for your institution, and simply exploiting your fan base.

TCU continually errs on the side of exploiting its fan base.

TCU may not see the repercussions of these decisions right away, but fast forward a few years when Patterson is no longer the coach, or when TCU football has had a few back to back losing seasons, and they’re going to be VERY sorry they took for granted their loyal fan.. because even your most loyal fans have a breaking point.

There was a time when I showed up, rain or shine, at the old stadium because if I felt I HAD to be there, and be among the 10-15K or so fans that would show up. But these days I don't have a hint of regret of not showing up and/or seeing everyone else not showing up. Heck for three years I wrote letters to the Chancellor about the dumb policy not allowing water to be brought in. How many fans had to be treated for heat stroke due to lack of water?
I still would like for Frog fans to attend the games but clearly TCU doesn't feel they need me, or my kids for that matter- considering how high they have raised their tuition rates. I hope it never happens, but I do fear there will be a time - most likely post GP, where a future AD and Chancellor will long for my participation at TCU. I know they won't stop calling me for donations! Im glad the university is growing right now, but what will the alumni base look like 20- 30 years from now? TCU will always be a small private University, not a diploma mill with millions of alumni. The student population is more and more the 1%ers and from a broad geographical base. It appears that they want to cater to the visitors to see their school while in DFW.
TCU is not a broke school by any stretch, and they shouldn't act like one. But they also shouldn't act like a big school and only care about their elite donors either.
Jerry will now get all the publicity in this game. Had CDC held firm, it could have been all about TCU and its wonderful, but small, stadium. What kind of publicity is that worth, when they are showing TCU for three hours to a National audience? Think of how many California students TCU gained by playing in the Rose Bowl!

ScottPatrick

Ohio State had no intentions of ever coming to Fort Worth for a game at ACS. It was going to be played at Cowboy Stadium or it wasn't going to be played at all.

That was the rumor but people are now saying that was not true, interesting that it started about the time JerryWorld contacted TCU.

AroundWorldFrog

Getting tailwhio

They now have a crappy OOC schedule the following year because of it.

Which is harder to believe, we cashed in on tOSU coming to town because Jerry wanted to poach the opportunity, or tOSU preferred to collapse the series to a single game, in Texas, and weaken their 2019 schedule?
They had a crap OOC in 2014 and lost to a .500 team. Didn't matter then.

Chico Dusty

This "big dog" schools do this too. I can't think of a huge, consistent matchup that is home and home from the blue bloods. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but this one of games at NFL stadium are the norm. FSU plays Bama in the opener at the new Falcons stadium in Atlanta. For example, I follow UGA some and I can't think the last time they had a huge, marque matchup in Athens that wasn't SEC. Its all good yo!!!

Last edited:

Bob

DelConte

Del Conte: 'I understand angst' on TCU-Ohio State football change

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article147401554.html

OmniscienceFrog

“The Cowboys approached TCU probably a year ago and wanted to move their home game to Jerry World,” Martin Jarmond, Ohio State's Deputy Athletic Director, Gene Smith's right-hand man and football scheduling guru said on Thursday at the Fawcett Center. “At the time they approached us and we weren't interested. They came back again and came back again and finally, we entertained it because TCU, mutually we agreed to go there. And they were going to pay us to go there.”
Yeah right. Don't know where that quote came from, but it is complete BS.

PO Frog

Yeah right. Don't know where that quote came from, but it is complete BS.
It says right there in the article where it came from. If that was a lie, don't you think CDC would have said so, considering the amount of flack he is taking from the faithful. I love how everyone is willing to overlook what both parties are openly saying and instead searching for ways to somehow make it look like OSU initiated this or were going to walk if we didn't agree to it. You have to assume both athletic departments are lying in order to believe that story.