• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU fans lose big in schedule change

FrogbyChoice

All bitching aside really love cdc not hiding behind this. He took a lot of flak for this but it means a lot to so many that he's willing to be transparent about it and communicate so openly on Twitter about it.
Taking responsibility for bad decisions does not clear the reality of bad decisions. There has to be impact for these decisions.

I hate that I have thoughts of taking my 16 years of season tickets and making it the last year. I hate that I had to not renew my parking garage spot because it took and hour to free myself from the structure. I hate to have stopped buying Bowl game seats from the school because how pathetic my seat assignments had become. I hate that each game I sit beside opposing fans that should be instead being used by season ticket owners who bought them +4 going on years now. I hate that I will be going to Arlington to watch a game in person on a huge TV because my brain can't keep me attention on the same reality much smaller many decks below.

Yes we can look at the positive affects of how far we have come, but if we don't act and behave like those who we have become we are just acting the part. We are important in college football. Behave like it and have expectations that decisions will be equal or part in this world.

cdsfrog

Taking responsibility for bad decisions does not clear the reality of bad decisions. There has to be impact for these decisions.

I hate that I have thoughts of taking my 16 years of season tickets and making it the last year. I hate that I had to not renew my parking garage spot because it took and hour to free myself from the structure. I hate to have stopped buying Bowl game seats from the school because how pathetic my seat assignments had become. I hate that each game I sit beside opposing fans that should be instead being used by season ticket owners who bought them +4 going on years now. I hate that I will be going to Arlington to watch a game in person on a huge TV because my brain can't keep me attention on the same reality much smaller many decks below.

Yes we can look at the positive affects of how far we have come, but if we don't act and behave like those who we have become we are just acting the part. We are important in college football. Behave like it and have expectations that decisions will be equal or part in this world.

Very harsh but I get it. I'm pissed too but not much we can do now.

Realtorfrog

Who does this truly benefit?? Jerry and Jerry's Ward. Instead of a home game that would be at least 80-20 fan split in our favor.... we now open it up to being closer to 50-50 and have lost the home field advantage. I don't think recruits care about where the game is played, just who you are playing.

Our bonus extra home game year was taken away...... I wonder what would have happened if this had been announced before we had to renew.

TCU is a national brand and power, we need to act like it!!!

Frog-in-law1995

Who does this truly benefit?? Jerry and Jerry's Ward. Instead of a home game that would be at least 80-20 fan split in our favor.... we now open it up to being closer to 50-50 and have lost the home field advantage. I don't think recruits care about where the game is played, just who you are playing.

Our bonus extra home game year was taken away...... I wonder what would have happened if this had been announced before we had to renew.

The game is in 2018.

Nick Danger

The game is in 2018.
I believe he was referring to a growing ill-will towards the TCU Athletic decision-makers for their increasing number of poorly received decisions, that have been highlighted numerous times on here, that some/many TCU fans view as, at best, "wrong-headed" and ill-conceived. Realtorfrog (not his real name ;)) seemed to be saying that you could have witnessed the start of a backlash had this announcement been made a month earlier . . . at least that's the way I viewed his statement!

Last edited:

FrogbyChoice

Not too many folks can turn down a deal that adds $4 million to do a deal.
I propose we move UT and OU games to Jerry World. I assume we can negotiate an extra $1mil minimum in revenue with 50k more opposing fans in a stadium. Extra profits sometimes have detrimental effects on your brand and this decision was unwise for the message it delivered.

It sucks, but we are not Big State U. receiving millions in taxpayer support to offset athletics spending. TCU is making business decisions in order to play and win at the highest levels.

This. However you are fooling yourself if you do not think the powers that be are not doing things with the best interest of their blue blood jewel Ohio State. I guarantee OSU knew the plan before CDC called them. Their reach is far and wide and it's universities like Ohio State that are deciding the direction of college football. But why put Ohio State in the negotiations? Keep them looking like a jewel.

Thinking about the game itself, officiating is bad with OU and UT, wait till you get a load of Ohio State bias on a big stage as in Cowboy stadium. TCU is really going to have to get points preferably touchdowns on every offensive series. With half of OSU's star kids being from Texas who want to show off their skill in front of their whole families it is going to be tough match up. TCU is going to have to have a game like it did with Ole Miss at the Peach bowl to win this one (playing with a huge chip on its shoulder - respect emotional game). TCU has the talent, the coaching, it will need it's fans to win this one. Beating Ohio State would be HUGE for the continued progression of this program. A win versus Ohio State in this setting at Cowboy stadium would be near the same level, but not quite (however maybe), as the Rose Bowl win. I'll be at AT&T Stadium in Arlington to cheer my Frogs. I love TCU football and it's success is big for me as pro sports are nothing like watching TCU football. I want to see my team be a competitor with the big boys for generations to come.

PS. This is the type of game why we need to recruit big boys up front on OL. Little fast OL is not going to beat the talent and size of Ohio State's DL and LBers. For TCU to win this game they are going to have to have size to get in the way of their beasts. Hopefully TCU can dominate the line but if not they need to give our QB seconds to safely throw the ball without a man in his face 85% of the time. Bottom line TCU need this recruiting class to continue to grab big OL athletes.

Last edited:

smufrogger

Ohio state benefits- bigly. They have a game in DFW for area recruiting but don't have to play it at an opposing stadium. Plus their alumi will be able to attend

AroundWorldFrog

I propose we move UT and OU games to Jerry World. I assume we can negotiate an extra $1mil minimum in revenue with 50k more opposing fans in a stadium. Extra profits sometimes have detrimental effects on your brand and this decision was unwise for the message it delivered.
Good idea. At the least the Carter wouldn't show on National TV as being empty for the first and third quarters.

PO Frog

This. However you are fooling yourself if you do not think the powers that be are not doing things with the best interest of their blue blood jewel Ohio State. I guarantee OSU knew the plan before CDC called them. Their reach is far and wide and it's universities like Ohio State that are deciding the direction of college football. But why put Ohio State in the negotiations? Keep them looking like a jewel.

Thinking about the game itself, officiating is bad with OU and UT, wait till you get a load of Ohio State bias on a big stage as in Cowboy stadium. TCU is really going to have to get points preferably touchdowns on every offensive series. With half of OSU's star kids being from Texas who want to show off their skill in front of their whole families it is going to be tough match up. TCU is going to have to have a game like it did with Ole Miss at the Peach bowl to win this one (playing with a huge chip on its shoulder - respect emotional game). TCU has the talent, the coaching, it will need it's fans to win this one. Beating Ohio State would be HUGE for the continued progression of this program. A win versus Ohio State in this setting at Cowboy stadium would be near the same level, but not quite (however maybe), as the Rose Bowl win. I'll be at AT&T Stadium in Arlington to cheer my Frogs. I love TCU football and it's success is big for me as pro sports are nothing like watching TCU football. I want to see my team be a competitor with the big boys for generations to come.

PS. This is the type of game why we need to recruit big boys up front on OL. Little fast OL is not going to beat the talent and size of Ohio State's DL and LBers. For TCU to win this game they are going to have to have size to get in the way of their beasts. Hopefully TCU can dominate the line but if not they need to give our QB seconds to safely throw the ball without a man in his face 85% of the time. Bottom line TCU need this recruiting class to continue to grab big OL athletes.
Weird comments with regard to our OL. We've had one of the biggest in college football the last few years so it seems odd to worry about "little fast OL". I actually think a little smaller and quicker than the last few years may be needed. At least morensthletic. There's only so much you can do at 6'7" 350 lbs.

Weird comments with regard to our OL. We've had one of the biggest in college football the last few years so it seems odd to worry about "little fast OL". I actually think a little smaller and quicker than the last few years may be needed. At least morensthletic. There's only so much you can do at 6'7" 350 lbs.

I disagree on smaller and faster. The comments were to what I like to see TCU continue to recruit, big OL. Its the only way to defeat OSU and a comment not looking at the current roster. I was just thinking about the game and teams competitive versus the blue bloods are ones who tame the DL, not really saying anything about TCU, just general comment about OL success on the big state U teams. TCU has a number of guys graduating. Just like to see some big OT this recruiting class.

Last edited:

tcumaniac

This is my most recent theory based on reading between the lines of what CDC said, and other things I've heard from dependable sources.

• This decision was initiated by TCU. Not by Ohio State.
  • More specifically, this decision was made by Gary Patterson. Let's be real guys. Patterson makes the ultimate decisions. Not CDC.
  • Money played a role, but was not the leading motivator.
  • Patterson has continually hinted that his career may be coming to a close in the next 5 years or so.
  • Patterson wants to win a National Championship more than anyone knows. Knowing his future opportunities are limited, he wants to make sure he's giving himself the best opportunities possible.
  • Let's not kid ourselves... walking into the Horseshoe and coming out with a win is VERY difficult, no matter who you are.
  • Sure. Pulling out a win there would be HUGE for our program, but the risk heavily outweighs the reward. We no longer need a marquee win like that to make the CFP. We need to win all our out of conference games, and then win the big 12 outright. Having an out of conference game with a high possibility of losing does not help our CFP chances.
  • Ultimately, this decision was made with the goal of maximizing our chances of making the CFP. Playing a game in Columbus, Ohio does not do that.
  • As pissed as I am by this as a fan and a season ticket holder, this may be more favorable of a deal than even I want to admit.
  • We trade a possible loss in Columbus for a likely win in West Lafayette, IN. We get OSU in our backyard next year and a nice lump sum of cash. And we increase our CFP chances in 2019.
This to me is the most reasonable logic behind this decision being made.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Once upon a time, UT played a home-and-home with tOSU. Their game in Austin, was a crushing defeat. The next year, with a mobile QB, they won. The win propelled them to an MNC.

Casey T

This is my most recent theory based on reading between the lines of what CDC said, and other things I've heard from dependable sources.

• This decision was initiated by TCU. Not by Ohio State.
  • More specifically, this decision was made by Gary Patterson. Let's be real guys. Patterson makes the ultimate decisions. Not CDC.
  • Money played a role, but was not the leading motivator.
  • Patterson has continually hinted that his career may be coming to a close in the next 5 years or so.
  • Patterson wants to win a National Championship more than anyone knows. Knowing his future opportunities are limited, he wants to make sure he's giving himself the best opportunities possible.
  • Let's not kid ourselves... walking into the Horseshoe and coming out with a win is VERY difficult, no matter who you are.
  • Sure. Pulling out a win there would be HUGE for our program, but the risk heavily outweighs the reward. We no longer need a marquee win like that to make the CFP. We need to win all our out of conference games, and then win the big 12 outright. Having an out of conference game with a high possibility of losing does not help our CFP chances.
  • Ultimately, this decision was made with the goal of maximizing our chances of making the CFP. Playing a game in Columbus, Ohio does not do that.
  • As pissed as I am by this as a fan and a season ticket holder, this may be more favorable of a deal than even I want to admit.
  • We trade a possible loss in Columbus for a likely win in West Lafayette, IN. We get OSU in our backyard next year and a nice lump sum of cash. And we increase our CFP chances in 2019.
This to me is the most reasonable logic behind this decision being made.

This makes sense to me. It is a bummer but it is logical