• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU fans lose big in schedule change

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
FWST: TCU fans lose big in schedule change

BY BIG STEAMING PILE
tengel@star-telegram.com

The vision of watching the Ohio State Buckeyes at Amon G. Carter Stadium in Fort Worth was always for sale. It was a question of how much.

The answer is $5 million.

When TCU announced a home-and-home football series against the State University of Ohio back in 2012, the series was so far down the calendar it was hard to get excited about this home game. We are now one year away from Ohio State’s originally scheduled visit to Fort Worth in 2018. TCU was to return the visit in 2019 at the Horseshoe in Columbus, Ohio.

This is all past-tense, of course. On Thursday, it was announced that the home-and-home is now a one-gamer at Jerry World on Sept. 15, 2018.

Read more at http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/the-big-mac-blog/article147306564.html

PurplFrawg

Administrator
All while pissing off the most important customer. The fans. Love CDC but this is one decision I can't praise him for.

Why even build the stadium. Just move all home games to Arlington. That would have saved time and effort.

godfather-its-not-personal-its-just-business.jpg

TRF51

Wonder how much Season Ticket holders will have to pat to get a ticket and if those tickets will be in the nose bleeds? It sucks for us but I guess it is a good recruiting nugget. I think the series with Purdue is flat out not a good thing, especially having to go there. I thought we were trying to get something lined up with ND?

StinnettFrog

Will season ticket holders get comparable seats for this game in their season ticket package. i hate going to that stadium, but I have to watch the Frogs a few times now. Just can't remember how the tickets worked before.

Shorty

Will season ticket holders get comparable seats for this game in their season ticket package. i hate going to that stadium, but I have to watch the Frogs a few times now. Just can't remember how the tickets worked before.
They already said tickets will not be included in the season ticket package.

cdsfrog

Definitely not part of season ticket. Seating assignment will be based on priority.

Terrible seats will be $100 (worse than 400 right corner in Lupton)
Average to not so good
10 yard to 30 yard line lower deck, and even better seats higher up will be $300

Just a guess, but thats the prices for the 2017 advocare Classic.

So now instead of $300 to 500 for season tickets for most people next year, it wil be $400 to 800 with the same amount of games as previously scheduled.

HoustonHornedFrog

Wonder how much Season Ticket holders will have to pat to get a ticket and if those tickets will be in the nose bleeds? It sucks for us but I guess it is a good recruiting nugget. I think the series with Purdue is flat out not a good thing, especially having to go there. I thought we were trying to get something lined up with ND?

I don't see how taking what would have been the biggest out of conference home game in years or decades and moving it to the abomination that is Jerry World is a plus for recruiting. Maybe scheduling a one game neutral site meeting with tOSU is good if you are looking at it in a vacuum but going from a home and home series with them to this is a net minus for recruiting (and everything else except the $) in my book.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
By the time this game is played, ESPN (assuming they still exist) will have been pimping it non-stop for two months. We get tons of free mentions and lots of talk directed our way.

As to "they screwed the Season Ticket holders!" Well, guess what? It's increasingly a business, and loyalty takes a back-seat to money in such a scenario. You surely remember Tennessee and A&M trading lawsuits with their Alumni over broken promises regarding donations and ticketing, right? Why shouldn't you think that such things would eventually show up in Fort Worth? I am still furious over the re-seating, +4, StubHub nonsense, but there is a cold, calculating part of me that says it was simply inevitable. You can't ever go back.

Oh, and with that in mind, all this whining about "Oh! JerryWorld will be 60-40 tOSU fans!" Well, guess what!?! ACS would have been that way too, and maybe worse! The StubHub Brigade would have cashed in on that circus, and half the place would be choked with tOSU loons, including that fat clown with his face painted.

Quit yer whinin...

ScottPatrick

If this game generates five times the revenue of a single TCU home game....then Del Conte would have

been derelict in his duty as a Athletic Director to not agree to have it moved to Arlington. $$$$

But he sold way too short. Suppose he offered it to the season ticket holders that there would be a $200 upcharge to keep the game in Fort Worth as opposed to losing the home game outright? He would have made an additional $6 to $8 mill or potentially $4 mill more than the JerryWorld offer.

How many season ticket holders would have gone for that? Almost all if not all.

Last edited:

Salfrog

Tier 1
Obviously the fans don't matter anymore except for the big money donors. This is what college football has become. It is what it is I guess. This is why I haven't purchased bowl tickets through the ticket office anymore for the last 3 bowl games. If they can make a business decision, so can I.