• The KillerFrogs

The "I can"/"no you can't" thread on becoming a world class sprinter

FROGDADDY

You can get faster. Always told in old days, you could either run or you couldn't..

Watched that myth explode with a close friend. 4.7 to 4.38 in 4 years. Hope folks will tell young people this.
Can you get faster? Sure. How often does it happen? Just slightly more than never.

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
Can you get faster? Sure. How often does it happen? Just slightly more than never.

Not sure I agree with that. When my son was rehabbing in HS he worked out at the Michael Johson training facility at Craig Ranch in McKinney. Several TCU players were also training there and it was interesting to hear their comments and also see some of the posted improvements in time.

A lot of the improvements were simply due to better mechanics, but speed specific training does work.

FROGDADDY

Not sure I agree with that. When my son was rehabbing in HS he worked out at the Michael Johson training facility at Craig Ranch in McKinney. Several TCU players were also training there and it was interesting to hear their comments and also see some of the posted improvements in time.

A lot of the improvements were simply due to better mechanics, but speed specific training does work.
My point being that if you're fast you're fast and if you're slow you're slow. I agree that slight improvements can be made, but someone who runs a 4.8 isn't going to become a track star all of a sudden at age 20.

Seriously, what is the greatest speed enhancement you have seen through the TCU program?

Do you honestly not believe Patterson recruits speed? You think the staff looks at a kid and says he could become a 4.5 guy or 4.4 so lets get him over a kid already running 4.4 and 4.5s?

*facepalm*

I never said CGP doesn't recruit speed. It is nice if the guy is already fast and ready to go and most likely will be able to maintain speed or even get better. If the kid is already fast he probably already disciplined or has great genes/talent that is hard to find in kids.

You can teach speed. A kid CAN get from a 5 flat to a 4.5 forty as an example. You can and I've seen it happen. CGP is one of the best at developing players and one aspect he works on is speed. That is why in the off season CGP puts his kids through intense circuit training. Lets just look at the NFL and the combine, what do you think those hopefuls train for (by that time your not going to make huge strides, however you can increase your forty by point something - but in 4 years at TCU you can make huge strides especially in that freshmen year, thus one reason why coaches red shirt players).

Their is flexibility training, plyometrics, mechanics training (acceleration and top speed work), abdominal training, training to get your body composition to the right weight, circuit training, endurance training, strength & power training, agility training, etc. All these are used to increase speed and if you think a kid can't increase speed and only has what he has for the rest of their life by senior year in high school is ignorant on your part.

You might be able to look up kids on the internet and know when they are coming or who is interested in TCU but you have a lot to learn about the development of players.

Would it be nice if Fuller had incredible speed, yes, but he is a QB. Can he get faster once in the TCU program, 100% he can. I expect if he is 4.7 or 4.8 forty as a senior in high school, I think he could get to a 4.6 or 4.5 forty or better later in his development in TCU's program. If things come more natural for him, if he has the "it" factor it will be a lot easier than if he is an average football player.

You go and get speed because they are most likely not going to get worse so then you have a load of really fast players on your team. A kid that runs a 4.7 forty can get better but that is up to the program and kid if that is going to happen or not (and it takes a lot of time and determination).

Dogfrog

I remember GP saying that AD improved his 40 time by 0.2 through training. I'm sure this is combination of improved technique in the timing process, mechanics, conditioning.

FROGDADDY

I never said CGP doesn't recruit speed. It is nice if the guy is already fast and ready to go and most likely will be able to maintain speed or even get better. If the kid is already fast he probably already disciplined or has great genes/talent that is hard to find in kids.

You can teach speed. A kid CAN get from a 5 flat to a 4.5 forty as an example. You can and I've seen it happen. CGP is one of the best at developing players and one aspect he works on is speed. That is why in the off season CGP puts his kids through intense circuit training. Lets just look at the NFL and the combine, what do you think those hopefuls train for (by that time your not going to make huge strides, however you can increase your forty by point something - but in 4 years at TCU you can make huge strides especially in that freshmen year, thus one reason why coaches red shirt players).

Their is flexibility training, plyometrics, mechanics training (acceleration and top speed work), abdominal training, training to get your body composition to the right weight, circuit training, endurance training, strength & power training, agility training, etc. All these are used to increase speed and if you think a kid can't increase speed and only has what he has for the rest of their life by senior year in high school is ignorant on your part.

You might be able to look up kids on the internet and know when they are coming or who is interested in TCU but you have a lot to learn about the development of players.

Would it be nice if Fuller had incredible speed, yes, but he is a QB. Can he get faster once in the TCU program, 100% he can. I expect if he is 4.7 or 4.8 forty as a senior in high school, I think he could get to a 4.6 or 4.5 forty or better later in his development in TCU's program. If things come more natural for him, if he has the "it" factor it will be a lot easier than if he is an average football player.

You go and get speed because they are most likely not going to get worse so then you have a load of really fast players on your team. A kid that runs a 4.7 forty can get better but that is up to the program and kid if that is going to happen or not (and it takes a lot of time and determination).
Unless it's an overweight kid who loses a bunch of weight I'd say the odds of a kid taking half of a second off a 40 time are extremely low.

FrogCoach84

That's incorrect. The good strength and speed coaches can refine running form and emphasize certain explosive lifts and help a kid make significant gains in speed.

As an example, our program has seen a great improvement in team speed since a D1 strength coach took a high school job to be around his boys. Now the 5.0 kids aren't running 4.3s....but they are running 4.8s. The 4.6 kids....one of them has gone from a 16 year old running a 4.68 to an 18 year old running a 4.43. You can't teach pure speed....but you can improve on it. Most kids have no idea how to run....they just use whatever natural talent they have.

FROGDADDY

That's incorrect. The good strength and speed coaches can refine running form and emphasize certain explosive lifts and help a kid make significant gains in speed.

As an example, our program has seen a great improvement in team speed since a D1 strength coach took a high school job to be around his boys. Now the 5.0 kids aren't running 4.3s....but they are running 4.8s. The 4.6 kids....one of them has gone from a 16 year old running a 4.68 to an 18 year old running a 4.43. You can't teach pure speed....but you can improve on it. Most kids have no idea how to run....they just use whatever natural talent they have.
My post following that one explains what I meant by that statement, the original statement wasn't stated very well. You can teach a kid to get faster, but you can't teach a kid to be FAST. Same concept as not being able to teach kids to throw hard.

maximilian

This is all a moot point. Fuller DOES NOT RUN A 4.8. He is a 4.5-4.6 guy. One camp 40 time is not changing that.

UT LB recruit Tim Cole ran a 5.0 40 at an event. This was a 6'2, 220 lb LB. Would Gary Patterson have offered him if he ran that speed regularly? Hell no.

helcap

Don't know anything about "plyometrics" and the like. I do know that Colin Jones based on his Rivals recruiting profile ran a 4.65 at 187 lbs when entering TCU. At his pro day he ran a 4.34 at 201 lbs.(4.38 ave. on his second run). Don't think Rivals was that far off, but according to some posters on this thread they must have been since speed can't improve that much.

OmniscienceFrog

I can buy this. I don't doubt you can improve a 4.85 kid to a 4.65 kid, but I don't believe you can turn a 4.85 kid into a 4.45 kid. Also there is the law of diminishing returns. The faster a kid is to start with, the less improvement in speed he is going to be able to pick up. You can't knock .2 off of everybody, no matter how hard they work at it.