• The KillerFrogs

Zach Line is impressive

micahjh

one of the best ever rushing performances by an opposing RB against a Coach P defense. Came as a complete suprise im sure.

Burner1

Tier 1
Utah's backs must be licking their chops tonight. But the defense obviously was set against the pass, with linebackers dropping deep, and that draw play was our weakness. SMU made the most of it.

Genbukan

The guy might be good but we play AWFUL against the run. The LB's constantly got sucked up into the middle and Line broke off to the outside --- I've gotta believe this was by design as it happened over and over again. Add to that the fact that our secondary tried to tackle ankles rather than around the waist.

Really disappointed in this aspect of the game.

Goodnight

Every one of his carries came off of a delayed belly draw trap play that worked nearly every time. I doubt he gets half the yards if the handoff wasn't a delayed belly. By the time he got the ball our entire defensive line was behind him

Slomo37

"Zach Line is impressive "

Yea, kind of, but our ability to overrun the play is even more more impressive. Good thing Line is more fullback material than fast and elusive.

Gameplan for every team to test TCU after this game: 1st down: counter run. 2nd: counter run 3rd: draw hand-off; 1st down: counter 2nd down: draw 3rd: pass/counter. Too bad Oregon State didn't know this or Rodgers would have ran all over us. Line and his O-line owned us for the better part of the game, just imagine a faster, better back.

Luckily this will be fixed by next week.

Young and Horned

Wow, you are comparing this guy to a Heisman candidate who had ridiculous numbers in a year? Come on, give me a break. Yes, they found a whole in our defense, but to say this guy is going to be the next Gerhart is absurd. It was more us leaving wide open holes for him to hit.

back_in_black

Moderators
We were split wide which gave the openings he needed. That coupled with not preparing and sloppy tackling explains his numbers. If there's one thing I'm not concerned with it's Gary's ability to resolve that issue going forward.

bbell

Our linebackers inablility to stay at home on the draw play made Line look good. We also did a poor job of tackling him even though he does run tough. Can't believe they gained so many yards on that play tonight. It didn't look like a GP defense.

FDW

Line is no Gerhart, he runs out of 4 wide sets and probably doesn't get gameplanned for since Jones teams are known for rarely running the ball. Some competent play by our front 7 and his production would have been severely diminished.

Cougar/Frog

Line is no Gerhart, he runs out of 4 wide sets and probably doesn't get gameplanned for since Jones teams are known for rarely running the ball. Some competent play by our front 7 and his production would have been severely diminished.

Exactly. Line is a good back, especially for the run-and-shoot, because he can both stay behind and block or get a draw play. Line has gotten decent yardage this season and will continue to be a good player in Jones' system.

pcf

SMU was pretty impressive overall. Fast and physical. Sure, some of Line's running success was due to scheme, but he was hard to bring down. Kudos to SMU. They are going to be one of the better teams we play, IMO.

SMU always plays TCU tougher than anyone else they play, but they'll do well in Cusa.

We finally get to conference play.

TCUSA

Line's story was that he wasn't heavily recruited by FBS schools. Somebody called June Jones and told him about Line (from outside Detroit, I think), and Jones gave him a chance. He's the kind of kid we built our team on--not well known, but a lot of heart.

Latest posts