• The KillerFrogs

Your under rated TCU sports moments

pastorfrog

BB: I think it was the 95 basketball game against A$M where Juan Brag hit two free throws after Billy ran the defender into him on the baseline.

FB: Beating OU in Normon my Jr. year when we were a sorry 4-7 was pretty cool. I was at the game and about lost my voice. Great way to start the season. The Air Force game in 98- that is when I knew something special was around the corner. I loved the SMU in Dallas in 2000. It was cold, LT ran wild and we ran up the score. Great way to end the season.

Beating Tech in 94 was amazing. Knake to Oliver was the play legends are made of.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Long ago in Wacker's first season, the Frogs went down to Austin to play the #2 ranked 'Horns. The Frogs were given no chance and the Longhorn faithful were looking for another 70 point blowout. But, Coach Jim Wacker had other plans...

The Frogs had managed only one win that season, along with a couple of ties. However, the record does not tell the difference in the play or the spirit of the Frogs. There was a sea change from the dismal '82 season to the exuberance of the Wacker era. No matter what, Coach Wacker had his kids believing in themselves, and this day he had them believing that they had an upset in their hands.

Beautiful day. Noon kickoff on Raycom Sports. The Frogs came out hitting. The defense was magnificent, stuffing the Horns on series after series. They forced two fumbles right up into the air which were returned for TDs, which was important. At that time, a fumble recovered on the ground was a dead-ball, and the TCU offense was still getting the timing of Wacker's Veer offense down and we couldn't do much on the ground either.

The officials gave UT a couple of calls that put them in field goal range right before the half. With the kick, it was TCU 14- UT 3 at halftime. The UT faithful were muttering things about "...cockroaches..." and reaching for their Tums. The TCU Showgirls made the famous "HORNED FROG PREID" spelling in front of the Band during the halftime show. I carried a Tuba.

In the second half, TCU was running out of steam. We couldn't get a drive going and the Defense was staying on the field way too long. UT scored again, and again. Late in the 4th, it was TCU 14- UT 17. The Frogs got the ball back with just under 2 minutes.

It was there that the Wacker Era began. The Offense began to methodically move the ball. it was seemingly inexorable. With every first down the UT folk groaned just a little louder. There was desperation in many eyes. With under a minute, TCU had a first and goal at the UT 1.

The Longhorn faithful had put down the Tums and were reaching for the nitro tablets...

First down, no gain. Second down, we got in but the officials didn't give it to us. Third down, sweep left, no gain. Now came the decisive moment.

Wacker had gone for the tie twice previously. This time, he had #2 UT on the ropes. In a classy decision, he went for it. We were stuffed. Final score TCU 14- UT 17.

Yeah, we lost. But even in losing, we played toe-to-toe with probably the best team in the land. The UT bench cleared and their guys were out hugging our guys. To say it was a great football game is to damn the effort with faint praise. This was a example of the game at its best, from a team which had been left for dead for 20 years.

The kids now believed in Jim Wacker, and in themselves. The next season, 1984, was one of the best in TCU history simply because the Frogs literally rose from the long sleep of the dead and put themselves back on the map. Like Liverlips said of the Sun Bowl, it is good to be there at the beginning, and this was one of those beginnings, if not the beginning.

bronco

TCU 78, Houston 77 in 4 OTs, 1980 when UH was really good--Jeff Baker led with 24 pts and Darrell Browder played all 60 minutes of the game.

It was one of the first college basketball games on ESPN and they replayed it dozens of times.

I concur.

Houston Frog

It's so weird reading all of these comments about great TCU basketball memories. I became a TCU fan in 2000 and have never really had anything to cheer for in regards to the basketball team. The NIT run with the Santee group in 2003 (?) was fun, but that's about it.

Frog89

The outcome of this wasn't good, but my first year after graduation from TCU, I went to the Independence Bowl (1994). When TCU ran out on the field before the game and 85% of the stadium roared for the Horned Frogs, I couldn't believe what I was seeing or hearing. I just assume Virginia would have at least as many fans and hoped we didn't embarrass ourselves. After years of miserable football and dispassionate fans, the sound of 30K+ Frog fans roaring as the team ran out on the field and the band played, was an absollute dream for me. We rarely got 30,000 in ACS back then. The game is another story, but that's the first time I really felt pride not only in my football team, but also in our alumni base.

As a side note, I've only returned home from a gambling trips 2 times in my life where it paid for the entire trip. And this was one of those times.. so TCU loss aside, I still won.

It's so weird reading all of these comments about great TCU basketball memories. I became a TCU fan in 2000 and have never really had anything to cheer for in regards to the basketball team. The NIT run with the Santee group in 2003 (?) was fun, but that's about it.

True. I've been a fan since arriving on campus in 2006, but I have several "under rated" (or at least under-the-radar) basketball moments. Given the attendance at these events, I'm guessing they are also mostly unknown.
The first was my freshman year - we played UT Arlington on the same day as a football game, so it served as a good way to waste time before the real event - the Frogs won in double OT (kinda sad, but still) and got me amped for the eventual beatdown of SDSU(?) in the afternoon.

The second underrated B-ball moment from that season - Coming off an epic conference losing streak, TCU welcomed a highly ranked (#10?) Air Force team to the DMC, fully expecting to make that streak continue. Frogs pulled off the upset, and Neil P. told us to rush the court - about 4 people did.

The underrated, rarely mentioned highlight of the next season was when OU played at DMC with a little known freshman playing under the shadow of his older brother. You may have heard of him, he jumped over a Kia the other day. I'll never forget the show Blake Griffin put on that day, but if you weren't there - watch this poor quality video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkBzeo-VSw0

Houston Frog

Jeff Ballard's incredible play in 2005 to snag us the win over BYU in Provo.. 51-50

Awesome moment, good call.

That was the weekend of Hurricane Rita in Houston, the hurricane that everyone evacuated from and all the local businesses closed down for, but then nothing happened in Houston at all. Well, I stayed in town and then the morning of the game, I had to call around every sports bar in town to find one that hadn't shut down. I finally found this tiny "sports bar" with like 3 TVs called Roeder's Pub off of Shepherd and got them to put the game on. A group of us went up there at like 11:00AM, and made friends with all the regulars.... by the 4th quarter, we had swung the entire bar to cheering for TCU, and the whole place was going nuts watching Ballard's comeback.

I think that actually might win my most underrated TCU sports moment

Frog DJ

Beating Utah in overtime - 2005. The utes were on an 18 game winning streak at the time.
That was a good 'un, WCJ - especially on the heels of the SMU debacle.

The wife and I were on an anniversary trip to Boston, and I watched it on TV in the hotel. I don't think the people in the next room liked me very much. Afterward, I told her we were never going to take an anniversary trip during football season again - even if we did get married in October.

However, one of my favorite underrated moments of all time was in 1961. TCU was not very good that year, but they had upset a John Hadl-led Kansas 17-16 on Opening Day, tied Ohio State 7-7 in the Horseshoe the next weekend and eventually beat UT 6-0 in Austin to ruin the Horns perfect season and throttle their national title hopes. None of those were my favorite underrated moment.

It was October 21, 1961 at ACS when the Frogs came back to defeat A&M 15-14. The reason it was so special for me was I sat on the east side with one of my best friends, who was a huge Aggie fan. Beating the Farmers was always great, but that day it was especially sweet, and the next day was my 13th birthday.

Memories sweet...

Go Frogs!

SnoSki

That was the weekend of Hurricane Rita in Houston, the hurricane that everyone evacuated from and all the local businesses closed down for, but then nothing happened in Houston at all. Well, I stayed in town and then the morning of the game, I had to call around every sports bar in town to find one that hadn't shut down. I finally found this tiny "sports bar" with like 3 TVs called Roeder's Pub off of Shepherd and got them to put the game on. A group of us went up there at like 11:00AM, and made friends with all the regulars.... by the 4th quarter, we had swung the entire bar to cheering for TCU, and the whole place was going nuts watching Ballard's comeback.

Aside from the Rose Bowl, perhaps, this might've been my most nervous game as a Frog football fan. Glad you liked the suggestion.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
We saw that game (BYU 2005) conclusion from the Wanna-Wanna Beach Bar on South Padre Isalnd, where we had fled the Hurricane. Since they had originally predicted the impact zone as being in south Texas, the place was darned near deserted.

The regulars were all rooting for us because the Bongodogs (house band) t-bone player is a Frog, too. She has a Fiesta Bowl purple frog croaker she will play from time to time...

We watched the Sun Bowl of Glorious Memory down there and the Nebraska game in 2001, trying to recapture a little of that magic.

Good times...

Limp Lizard

Once again (and not for the last time, I'll wager) was the great comeback victory in '90 over Oky State at ACS. Leon Clay came of age that evening. Pitty he could not stay healthy, or he would have been one of the TCU greats at QB, IMO.

InterestedObserver

The outcome of this wasn't good, but my first year after graduation from TCU, I went to the Independence Bowl (1994). When TCU ran out on the field before the game and 85% of the stadium roared for the Horned Frogs, I couldn't believe what I was seeing or hearing. I just assume Virginia would have at least as many fans and hoped we didn't embarrass ourselves. After years of miserable football and dispassionate fans, the sound of 30K+ Frog fans roaring as the team ran out on the field and the band played, was an absollute dream for me. We rarely got 30,000 in ACS back then. The game is another story, but that's the first time I really felt pride not only in my football team, but also in our alumni base.

As a side note, I've only returned home from a gambling trips 2 times in my life where it paid for the entire trip. And this was one of those times.. so TCU loss aside, I still won.

It was pretty amazing that many people got in the stands. That was the coldest/wettest game I ever attended. TCU's colors that day could have been purple, white, and camo since everyone seemed to be dressed for duck hunting rather than a football game.

You and I had the same luck that weekend. I've only had a handful of winning gambling trips in my lifetime, but two of them were in Shreveport and one of them was that trip. I never play slot machines, but happened to be sitting at one waiting on friends before the game. The attendent told me I couldn't sit there if I wasn't playing, so I shoved in a few quarters. Hit a jackpot on the first spin and thanked the lady. Wasn't a ton of money, but more than enough to get me through that weekend.

Dogfrog

Somehow I missed the game and I'm trying to remember why. What network televised it? MTN? We had fled Houston up to Cedar Creek Lake (Tool, TX) and apparently couldn't find a bar that had access.

Houston Frog

Somehow I missed the game and I'm trying to remember why. What network televised it? MTN? We had fled Houston up to Cedar Creek Lake (Tool, TX) and apparently couldn't find a bar that had access.

I don't remember which network televised it, but I know it was a channel that was available on DirecTV and not Time Warner (otherwise I would've been able to watch it at my house). So it was likely The MTN I guess.

Latest posts