• The KillerFrogs

Your under rated TCU sports moments

Goodnight

Of course there are good moments like the Rose Bowl, CWS, and such, but what are some TCU moments you remember well that are not frequently discussed?

Mine is probably our double overtime win against Tulsa in 1998 in basketball. Bill Self brought a good game plan that day but if I can remember correctly(I was only 9 at the time) we won the game at the buzzer on a Christian Lattener like baseball pass across the court to a guy under the basket who laid it in as time expired. It kept our perfect conference record in tact.

Another one is our win over UTEP in football in 1999 on LT's senior day. I remember how much crap UTEP fans talked leading up to the game, and blowing them out was enjoyable.

It wasn't a good moment, but Lee Nailon's ejection seconds into the game against UNLV in 1999 is one that sticks out for me. The sold out DMC booed non stop all game and we lost in overtime. Who knew that a bad decision by the refs would wreck our season. If that doesn't happen, we are in the NCAA tournament that year.

Houston Frog

Sneaking 8 beers into the stadium. I feel like that was very impressive and underrated amongst my peers.

Snuck 4 tall-boys and a 20 oz redbull vodka into the AFA game last year.

My sophomore year I took a Tri-Delt back to my dorm room from the tailgate, made it into the game by the 3rd quarter.... great moments in hookup history

My sophomore year I took a Tri-Delt back to my dorm room from the tailgate, made it into the game by the 3rd quarter.... great moments in hookup history
How does she rate it?
tongue.gif

Tom Brown

Basketball: beating Oliver miller's Arkansas teams at DMC with John Lewis dunks and Stick Strickland 3's. Destroying a ranked UNM team with Charles Smith. Killers Frogs sweeping the All College and beating Tubbs top ten OU team.

Football:
Stephen Shipley's game winning grab against UH. Jimmy Oliver torching Tech. LaMarcus McDonald pwning Louisville two years in a row.

Buck

TCU 78, Houston 77 in 4 OTs, 1980 when UH was really good--Jeff Baker led with 24 pts and Darrell Browder played all 60 minutes of the game.

It was one of the first college basketball games on ESPN and they replayed it dozens of times.

MTfrog5

When the basketball team beat Louisville in I think 2004 since it was the last time DMC was loud. Never forget Neil telling the students to stop chanting over-rated

TCU2012

I didn't become a TCU fan til I started applying for colleges (did I just hear maniac have an aneurysm?) so mine ranges from 07-11. However, it would have to be Tank Carder batting down that silly conversion pass.

But seriously, Nick Sander's two INTs, and TJ's bat down in the endzone against BYU my freshman year (08).

PurpleBlood87

Football: A win at Baylor when one of the Bears defensive players made the statement that by the end of the third quarter the Beas would be winning by so much that the starters would be on the bench and the second and third teamers would be playing. TCU won by about 20 points, can't remember the year.

Basketball: TCU's semifinal win at the SWC Tournament at Reunion Arena over Arkansas in 1983. I was a freshman working in the SID office and had a pass for the tournament. Was sitting in the stands for the game and hopped the rail using my pass to get on the field and celebrate. TCU lost to Houston the next day. Also drove to Tulsa that for the NIT game against Tulsa at ORU.

Also use to love when the TCU band played "Hey Baby" and made up there own words. After Texas play Dexter Cambridge was accused of getting paid to come from Lon Morris to Texas, the lyrics "Hey, Hey Dexter, we want to know, did you get your check?" Then when TCU played at Baylor after A&M players suffered carbon monoxide poisoning from Baylor official not leaving anydoors open during a shootout at the Ferrell Center, a lot of TCU band members were there and sang when the Baylor band played "Hey Baby." Lyrics were "Hey Baylor, we want to know, do you smell some gas?"

Baseball: The Houston Regional aka "The Wayne Graham Invitational". After a day of rain TCU plays Rice in a winner's bracket game. The outfield is a swamp. I'm sitting in the wooden bleachers down the third-base line with NormlFrog and Austin Adams makes a sliding catch on the first or second hitter of the game. He gets up and his uniform is covered in mad. What a sight.

Same series, TCU rallies in the nine to beat Baylor in an elimination game. The final blow was a pinch-hit grand slam by Matt McGuirk. Man were the Baylor fans and players depressed.

SoonerFrogs

Mike Jones breaking the single game scoring record, I think they put up 170+ points that night or something ridiculous. Then a few days later Lee Nailon broke his record. Those were good times. 4 of the top 5 individual scoring records were set in one season.

53 Lee Nailon vs. Mississippi Valley State December 12, 1997
51 Mike Jones vs. Delaware State December 3, 1997
49 Dick O’Neal vs. Rice February 15, 1955
46 Lee Nailon vs. Hawaii February 12, 1998
45 Mike Jones vs. Texas-Pan American November 29, 1997

2314@work

Contributor
Basketball: TCU's semifinal win at the SWC Tournament at Reunion Arena over Arkansas in 1983. I was a freshman working in the SID office and had a pass for the tournament. Was sitting in the stands for the game and hopped the rail using my pass to get on the field and celebrate. TCU lost to Houston the next day. Also drove to Tulsa that for the NIT game against Tulsa at ORU.

Yes, the Arkansas game at Reunion when Browder sealed it with a pair of FTs.
PB, I was at that NIT game at Oral Bob. There was one section of us. Man, I drove by myself to that game (it was spring break and no one was left in town to go with me). Doug Arnold hit a buzzer-beating jumper from the right baseline to win it, and it was also in front of the TCU section.
Love the KIller years.
Which brings me to the below:

Basketball
Can be
Good again at TCU

Boston Frog (in Paris)

Still on the ledge
The '91 win over Houston at ACS in the last game for Coach Wacker and the flying T. Actually one of my favorite TCU memories of all time even though I wasn't in the stadium that day.

Beating A&M in basketball in '95(?) in the game where Dario Quesada clobbered Jeff Jacobs(?) on the final inbound pass of the game. Jacobs hit two free throws with no time left on the clock, and we won by a point. That's how I remember it, anyway. I listened on the radio at work at Bag 'n Baggage downtown (RIP).

A win over Kansas in '94 at ACS. Kansas ended up something like 6-5 that year but was ranked and favored coming into the game. The win was a sign that we might actually have a decent team that season.

Beating Rice in football in 2000. Sure, it was only Rice, but we had lost four in a row to the Owls coming into that game.

The win over SMU at ACS in '95. Clinched a winning season and was a great game. Rick LaFavers is welcome to come drink at my house any time.

Houston Frog

The Clemson weekend was awesome, very underrated trip. Great setting, great tailgate, great nailbiting win in the rain (which always makes it more memorable).