• The KillerFrogs

You Make The Call - 2019

Atomic Frawg

Question #2:
First and goal at the B-5. A12 scrambles out of the pocket and is looking for a receiver in the end zone. A12 is at the B-10 and no one is open and he legally grounds the ball by throwing it out of bounds at the goal line. However, when the pass is released, A55 is standing at the B-1. 4 yards beyond the line of scrimmage.
a. Foul for Ineligible Receiver downfield. A, second and goal at the B-10, loss of down at the spot of the foul.
b. No foul for Ineligible Receiver downfield.
c. Foul for Ineligible Receiver downfield. A, first and goal at the B-10, replay the down from the spot of the foul.
d. Foul for Ineligible Receiver downfield. A, first and goal at the B-15, replay the down with a 5 yd. penalty from the spot of the foul.
There's a lot going on here, much of it fluff. No penalty. Keep it moving. B

Pharm Frog

Irrelevant rule. Everyone knows that 1st and goal from the 5 yard line or closer will be the fade pass to the shortest receiver on the field with no time for any ineligible receiver to do much more than retrieve the ball long after the incomplete attempt.

Pharm Frog

Question #1
Runner A44 carries the ball near the sideline, and strides out of bounds. The ball should be spotted:
a. At the location of the ball when the runner’s foot touches out of bounds.
b. At the position of the ball as it crossed the sideline.
c. At the location of the ball when the runner’s las foot was inbounds.
d. At the spot the ball carrier’s foot last touched down inbounds.

If the answer is B, what’s to stop a runner from striding out of bounds for 25 yards while holding the ball inside the field of play? And what’s the penalty for blasting the ever-loving [ Finebaum ] out of him while he’s striding out of bounds doing that?

Question #2:
First and goal at the B-5. A12 scrambles out of the pocket and is looking for a receiver in the end zone. A12 is at the B-10 and no one is open and he legally grounds the ball by throwing it out of bounds at the goal line. However, when the pass is released, A55 is standing at the B-1. 4 yards beyond the line of scrimmage.
a. Foul for Ineligible Receiver downfield. A, second and goal at the B-10, loss of down at the spot of the foul.
c. Foul for Ineligible Receiver downfield. A, first and goal at the B-10, replay the down from the spot of the foul.
d. Foul for Ineligible Receiver downfield. A, first and goal at the B-15, replay the down with a 5 yd. penalty from the spot of the foul.
Is A Baylor under satan and his spawn? If so no call as lineman being downfield is apparently not against the rules.

Frog-in-law1995

If the answer is B, what’s to stop a runner from striding out of bounds for 25 yards while holding the ball inside the field of play? And what’s the penalty for blasting the ever-loving [ steaming pile of Orgeron ] out of him while he’s striding out of bounds doing that?

A different part of the rule covers where to spot the ball when it is declared out of bounds without crossing a boundary.

Pharm Frog

A different part of the rule covers where to spot the ball when it is declared out of bounds without crossing a boundary.

So when do you consider it OOB if the ball can continue to advance (or move backward) after a ball carrier has crossed the line with a stride? Is a "stride" considered to be before anything touches OOB? I still don't see how a runner can "stride" OOB and continue to advance the ball until such time as the ball crosses the sideline. If the runner can do that (even by one stride), I think they should be more than fair game for getting their ass blown up until such time as that ball crosses the boundary.

So when do you consider it OOB if the ball can continue to advance (or move backward) after a ball carrier has crossed the line with a stride? Is a "stride" considered to be before anything touches OOB? I still don't see how a runner can "stride" OOB and continue to advance the ball until such time as the ball crosses the sideline. If the runner can do that (even by one stride), I think they should be more than fair game for getting their ass blown up until such time as that ball crosses the boundary.
Will try to explain this. There are rules that define a player/ball being out of bounds. In your scenario are you saying he can “stride OOB and as long as the ball hasn't crossed the sideline then he can continue to advance the ball forward? The rule that says “a ball in player possession is OOB. When either the ball or any part of the ball carrier touches the ground or anything else that is OOB, or is on or outside a boundary line, except another player or game official.” So, if he steps on the line, ball is OOB, etc. The question I posed is a rule change this year that “includes” the words striding runner that was not there last year. They just cleaned it up and made it easier for the official to call. It is NOT a major rule change, unlike blind-side blocks.

Pharm Frog

Will try to explain this. There are rules that define a player/ball being out of bounds. In your scenario are you saying he can “stride OOB and as long as the ball hasn't crossed the sideline then he can continue to advance the ball forward? The rule that says “a ball in player possession is OOB. When either the ball or any part of the ball carrier touches the ground or anything else that is OOB, or is on or outside a boundary line, except another player or game official.” So, if he steps on the line, ball is OOB, etc. The question I posed is a rule change this year that “includes” the words striding runner that was not there last year. They just cleaned it up and made it easier for the official to call. It is NOT a major rule change, unlike blind-side blocks.

I don't see that as cleaning up anything unless there's a real definitive definition of the word "stride". A "stride" in my vernacular is defined primarily by feet touching the ground as in a "step". When I hear the phrase, "strides out of bounds", I immediately think that at least one foot has touched something OOB that makes it a stride...but whatever. If "stride" means something like leaping or something short of an incomplete step I can see the need for clarification. I fully expect that spotting the ball will remain largely a best guess situation anyway since even textbook positioning of officials makes it impossible to have an excellent angle at things like that.

And blind-side blocking should be delicious for some controversy. I can envision loads of "pick sixes" and fumble returns being called back. I think it may also play havoc with some of the screen games. Need to look for sure but it may mean the elimination of the hook-and-lateral. Will certainly eliminate the peel back block.

Question #2:

Answer Question #2:
B

There can not be a foul for Ineligible Receiver downfield if the passer is legally throwing the ball away. It is not a foul for an illegal forward pass if the passer is or has been outside the tackle box and throws the ball so that it crosses or lands beyond the neutral zone or neutral zone extended. Remember, it can only be legal if the pass is thrown by a player that controls the snap or the resulting backward pass. For example: QB takes the snap and under a heavy rush throws a backward pass to A22 who carries the ball out of the tackle box and throws a forward pass that crosses the neutral zone and lands in an area 20 yards away from an eligible receiver. This is a foul for intentional grounding and it is loss of down at the spot of the foul (where the pass was thrown from).

Question #3

Free kick from the A-35. B21 signals for a fair catch and catches the ball at the B-3 with one foot in the field of play and one foot out of bounds.
a. Team B can take the ball at the B-25 since a fair catch was made.
b. Team B must take the ball at the B-3.
c. Foul for a free kick out of bounds.

Frog-in-law1995

Agree. Not only did we see this a couple of times last season but if the ball is declared OOB when possessed by a player who is also OOB, I don't see how this could be any other way. Unless....they changed something.

I don’t think we’ve seen it with the player calling for a fair catch, but could be wrong. But I don’t think that changes the ruling anyway.

Pharm Frog

I don’t think we’ve seen it with the player calling for a fair catch, but could be wrong. But I don’t think that changes the ruling anyway.

It did happen last year. I think it was just barely outside the end zone and the player signaled at the last moment. I can’t recall as certainly but I think it happened in another game but the signal came from a player who did not make the catch