• The KillerFrogs

World Cup Thread

TCUFrogs said:
What a stupid rule the off-sides penalty is.  Cherry picking is one thing, but.  When it is applied in all cases doesn't make sense.  What about when players are not off sides, and then move quickly to advance the ball or receive a pass from a play. Doesn't it penalize a player for beating his defender??

Argentina scored a goal that was disallowed, right?
I don't think you understand the rule.  A player is only offsides when the ball is passed, either by kicking or heading.  If the player is onsides when the ball is passed, then he beats the defender, its no foul.

TCUFrogs

Frognosticator said:
I don't think you understand the rule.  A player is only offsides when the ball is passed, either by kicking or heading.  If the player is onsides when the ball is passed, then he beats the defender, its no foul.

Ok.  It seems arbitrary when that dude throws out the offsides flag.  Like it depends who is playing.  In my limited viewing of the game, it seems inconsistent.

And yes, you'd think if you beat the defender it wouldn't be called.

Am I still seeing these plays wrong?  You suggesting they are called correctly each time?

Purp

TCUFrogs said:

Ok.  It seems arbitrary when that dude throws out the offsides flag.  Like it depends who is playing.  In my limited viewing of the game, it seems inconsistent.

And yes, you'd think if you beat the defender it wouldn't be called.

Am I still seeing these plays wrong?  You suggesting they are called correctly each time?
For the most part they're called correctly.  There are certainly times where it is not as clear cut and even a borderline call when viewed on replay.  I'd prefer to see the rule go back to the way it was called 15 or so years ago when I was in middle and high school where if a portion of the offensive player's body is even with a portion of the last defender's body then he should be considered onside.  That would increase offensive chances and also make it a little easier on linesmen to make better calls.  Even then you'd see difficult calls to make, similar to balls and strikes in baseball, but it'd be a little less common that one is controversial.

One other caveat to the rule requires the player in offsides position to be involved in the play.  If an offensive player was humping the corner flag while his team crossed the ball behind the defense and scored the play would not be ruled offsides b/c the player humping the corner flag was not involved in the play.  If a defender were drawn away from the play to defend him, however, he would be deemed a part of the play.

I think a few offsides calls were made by mistake and a couple others missed in the tournament, but I don't believe it was called incorrectly; it's a judgement call that, at full speed, can't be perfect every time.  The offsides that negated an Argentina goal yesterday was very clearly correct.  Two offensive players were behind the last field defender by a couple yards when the cross was made.

TCUFrogs

So, the player(s) should "wait" until the ball is kicked past them to run ahead toward the goal, and thus avoid advancing past a defender until the ball goes by?

Ron Swanson

TCUFrogs said:
So, the player(s) should "wait" until the ball is kicked past them to run ahead toward the goal, and thus avoid advancing past a defender until the ball goes by?

No part of your body can be past all of the opposing team's defenders (with the exception of the goalie) when the pass is kicked.

Frog-in-law1995

TCUFrogs said:
The only point in time when a player has to worry about being offsides is the instant the pass is kicked. The player only has to wait until the pass is kicked (or headed) and then he can run past any defenders. The ball doesn't have to cross any imaginary lines first.

SwissArmyFrog

These days, they do slow-mo replays with line drawings to show whether the correct call was made or not.  One of the better ways to learn the rule, I think.

Purp

TCUFrogs said:
Sorta.  Your description made it sound like offsides position was determined by the location of the ball rather than the timing of the pass, but you may understand it.

Just to be clear, a player cannot advance past the last defender until a ball leaves the passer's foot.  He can advance past the last defender before the ball goes by the last defender as long as the ball has already been passed.  For example, a ball may be passed from midfield to a player on top of the 18 yard box so the player passing the final defender would take less time than the ball traveling 40 yards through the air.

This rule does not apply when the offensive player receiving the pass is behind the ball when it is passed to him.  In other words, if the player crossing the ball crosses it from the corner near the flag to a player at the penalty spot it doesn't matter if the last defender is at midfield; the player receiving the pass is onside.  This caveat does not apply on corner kicks.

One final caveat that you may never see in a game occurs when the goal keeper is caught too far up field.  The offsides rule actually requires that an offensive player be behind the last TWO defenders, but since the keeper is nearly always one of those defenders it is usually taught as the relationship between the attacker and the last defender.  In the event that the goal keeper is caught up field, the attacking player must be behind the final two defenders when the pass is kicked to him.  As I said, though, I've only seen this called a half dozen times in my life so if you don't watch soccer often you'll likely never see it.

TCUFrogs

So, that ball that was headed back towards the goal over all the defenders.....and the Argentina player had it land in front of him in the wide open - for a wide open shot (with just the Goalie to beat who was not in great position), but couldn't kick it close or into the net would have counted?  If he hadn't missed it so poorly? 

Ron Swanson

TCUFrogs said:
So, that ball that was headed back towards the goal over all the defenders.....and the Argentina player had it land in front of him in the wide open - for a wide open shot (with just the Goalie to beat who was not in great position), but couldn't kick it close or into the net would have counted?  If he hadn't missed it so poorly? 

Yes

SwissArmyFrog

Ron Swanson said:

Guess if the opposing team "passes" you the ball, the offsides rule is "off".

I played soccer for about 16 years as an adult, and never ran into that situation (that I recall...perhaps being on the field, w/out a birds-eye view, and in that particular situation, you just chase the ball and kick and hope it all turns out ok).

Purp

SwissArmyFrog said:

Guess if the opposing team "passes" you the ball, the offsides rule is "off".

I played soccer for about 16 years as an adult, and never ran into that situation (that I recall...perhaps being on the field, w/out a birds-eye view, and in that particular situation, you just chase the ball and kick and hope it all turns out ok).
Correct. If a ball is merely deflected by a defender offsides still applies bc it's based on position when the ball is passed.

steelfrog said:
Swanson--or anybody--why was the FIFA guy sitting in between the Greman lady and Putin at that game?  Why was Putin even there?
Hey Stupid.  Quit asking stupid questions and annoying everybody.  Stick with wrassling.  

You're fat too.