• The KillerFrogs

World Cup Thread

cdsfrog

Great game by Costa Rica but it's about time the Dutch stop choking.

What a clutch performance by the young keeper

MrMcgibblets said:
You are such an annoying little [ Finebaum ]. You question everything yet you know nothing.

LOL I'm one of the best keepers I've ever met. I once took the ball up the pitch and scored a goal myself because my team was playing like [ Finebaum ]

Hemingway

Purp said:
When he's standing still he looks 50, but when he runs he looks 23. The dude can flat burn.
That's what I'm not understanding. How fast are these guys? What do you think Robben could do in the 40?

Purp

Hemingway said:
That's what I'm not understanding. How fast are these guys? What do you think Robben could do in the 40?
I think Robben would run a 40 in the low 4.3s. I think he could challenge Dutch track athletes for spots in the 100, 200, and 400 at the Olympics. He's as fast as anyone playing an organized team sport anywhere in the world. He runs by guys known for their speed while he's dribbling the ball (usually slows you down).

Robben looks really fast out there, but looks can be deceiving. I'd say he is good at sustaining his speed deep into a game. If you timed him on a 40 it would be 4.45+ IMO

Tom Brown

I'm finally caught up on the games from my DVR.
Thoughts:
Brazil without Neymar Jr. is not going to be able to handle Germany.
This looks like its the Dutch's year IMO. I predict Two Euoro sides in the final with a Dutch victory.

Purp

Hemingway said:
To answer your question generally I think you'd be hard pressed to find a slow defender over a 5.0 forty. Most of your outside midfielders and strikers will be in the 4.4 - 4.5 range. Your bigger target forwards will usually be in the 4.6 - 4.7 range, but some of them are amazing athletes like a D Wash and are as fast as most in the sport.

geefrogs

Pretty salty final four.  Everyone is saying the Germans are going to walk over Brazil but I dont see that happening on their home turf.  Im more concerned with Brazil playing without Thiago Silva, arguably the best defender in the world right now.  Still dont understand how he gets himself a card, what a bonehead play from a superstar.

My heart says Brazil, my head says Germany 2-1.

Argentina vs Holland is a sportsboner for mankind.  The Mess-iah will get them through....I think this game opens up early....3-1  

Holland v. Germany?  The rivalry between these countries is historical.  And a potential Argentina v. Brazil final would force the whole continent to pick sides.  Even a 3rd place match between Argentina v. Brazil would be watched by everyone in that region.

cdsfrog

Brazil is without their best offensive and defensive player while looking overrated all tournament.

Should be Germany 3-0. But playing at home. 2-1 Germany

DMFWTX

Against Spain, on the breakaway play, they ran the numbers, robben was running 23 mph, that would put him near the top in the nfl.

Hemingway

Purp said:
I think Robben would run a 40 in the low 4.3s. I think he could challenge Dutch track athletes for spots in the 100, 200, and 400 at the Olympics. He's as fast as anyone playing an organized team sport anywhere in the world. He runs by guys known for their speed while he's dribbling the ball (usually slows you down).

DMFWTX said:
Against Spain, on the breakaway play, they ran the numbers, robben was running 23 mph, that would put him near the top in the nfl.

Really believe that the USA will emerge with soccer being one of the 4 major sports in the next couple of years. I don't know if it isn't already.    Especially with the concussion issue hindering the NFL.  My kids are playing baseball and/soccer, not signing a waiver for football. 

I would be real interested to see him run a 40 against a devin hester or chris johnson.  then again, they are running for over 90 minutes

cdsfrog

MLS needs to improve but I'm not sure why our best athletes don't consider EPL more. Hopefully that changes in the future, I think it would help interest in the soccer considerably.

For the record Robben runs a lot faster than a 4.45. I ran 4.6 in highschool and was slow as crap in comparison to scholarship track athletes. His top speed is 23 pmh, Chris Johnson's top speed is 23.9. I'd gather to say Robben actually accelerates faster and no question would win in 200 meters or farther.

Purp

geefrogs said:
Pretty salty final four.  Everyone is saying the Germans are going to walk over Brazil but I dont see that happening on their home turf.  Im more concerned with Brazil playing without Thiago Silva, arguably the best defender in the world right now.  Still dont understand how he gets himself a card, what a bonehead play from a superstar.

My heart says Brazil, my head says Germany 2-1.

Argentina vs Holland is a sportsboner for mankind.  The Mess-iah will get them through....I think this game opens up early....3-1  

Holland v. Germany?  The rivalry between these countries is historical.  And a potential Argentina v. Brazil final would force the whole continent to pick sides.  Even a 3rd place match between Argentina v. Brazil would be watched by everyone in that region.
I liked this, but I think the Dutch take this one. Arjen Robben is the best player in the tournament right now and I think Argentina have a tougher time with him than the Dutch do with Messi. If he could just stop the Greg Louganis gymnastic dives I might buy Robben's shirt.

f_399

Purp said:
Robben is the best player in the tournament right now

As much as I don't like the guy, I agree. 

He has been the most impressive player so far. 

In soccer, its hard to have 1 person dominate the game like a Lebron James or Adrian Peterson.

Messi, Neymar, Ronaldo... haven't done it.