• The KillerFrogs

Whole position group knocked out at OU

CountryFrog

Well, I've been called worse.

It’s far more than just the economic impact. It’s the effect on the overall well-being of people. Just quality of life in general.
Absolutely. I was only focusing on economics since the comment was made about how much money is a human life worth. There are a whole shopping list of other things too.

And you've definitely been called worse. By me. We'll get back to that around the second week of September I'm sure.

bleedpurple

“You don’t destroy the social fabric to save individuals, you have to pay attention and take care of society as much as you take care of individuals and people who are sick,” said Trägårdh.

And any word on which group?
Makes me rethink my idolizing of ayn rand in high school. I’m rethinking a lot of stuff these days

HG73

Died with Covid is tons different than died cuz of Covid. Because of the way hospitals are incentivized to list Covid as a cause in order to get federal dollars....the true number of true covid fatalities is probably half of what is reported....many many experts agree.
Hospitals get an extra $29000 in federal money every time they put someone on a ventilator.

06DallasFrog

Hospitals get an extra $29000 in federal money every time they put someone on a ventilator.

I’ve seen this comment a number of times. It’s pretty ridiculous and quite insulting to doctors and nurses to think that is in their minds when putting someone on a ventilator. If you’re put on a ventilator, you’re in really bad shape. I guarantee medical professionals would rather see you walk out of the hospital.

froginmn

I’ve seen this comment a number of times. It’s pretty ridiculous and quite insulting to doctors and nurses to think that is in their minds when putting someone on a ventilator. If you’re put on a ventilator, you’re in really bad shape. I guarantee medical professionals would rather see you walk out of the hospital.
Lord knows there aren't any unethical doctors and hospital administrators out there.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Sure sure. I forgot the exception is the rule here. Won't happen again. Proceed.
You do know that how things are "coded" makes all the difference nowadays, right? You also know that when there is a financial incentive to do something, it generally gets done, right? You also can probably figure out from there that if there is a financial incentive to Hospitals to list deceased as Chinese virus victims, they're probably going to list as many as they possibly can as Chinese virus victims. Hell, the Texas DSHS guidelines allow them to do exactly that.

And no, I don't think doctors are evil, money grubbing maggots. I believe they truly wish to help every patient they have under their care. I think Hospital Management is encouraging such judgements as a way of recouping expenses thanks to the imbecile shutdown. Again, when money is offered for a particular COD, I think it is unsurprising that there would be quite a lot of fudging to reach that conclusion.

06DallasFrog

You do know that how things are "coded" makes all the difference nowadays, right? You also know that when there is a financial incentive to do something, it generally gets done, right? You also can probably figure out from there that if there is a financial incentive to Hospitals to list deceased as Chinese virus victims, they're probably going to list as many as they possibly can as Chinese virus victims. Hell, the Texas DSHS guidelines allow them to do exactly that.

And no, I don't think doctors are evil, money grubbing maggots. I believe they truly wish to help every patient they have under their care. I think Hospital Management is encouraging such judgements as a way of recouping expenses thanks to the imbecile shutdown. Again, when money is offered for a particular COD, I think it is unsurprising that there would be quite a lot of fudging to reach that conclusion.

I won't argue with anything you said here. I do think there is an issue, but I don't believe this responds to my original point. Doctors and nurses will decide who is put on a ventilator, and they are not concerned with their hospital getting $29,000 when making this decision. The post I responded to suggests that putting people on a ventilator is a profit center of some sort. It's a slap in the face of people who are working countless hours to help others.

Wexahu

Totally agree. Quality of life sucks ass right now. With all the people wearing masks it was kinda hard for me to tell which moms were really hot at the 7th grade cheerleading parents meeting tonight.

I hear ya.

Seriously though, to me it seems like everyone kind of has this dour, almost half-zombie look about them. It's amazing how much we use facial expressions to communicate, people seem so much more unapproachable when they are wearing a mask.

It's as if most of the personality has been ripped away from people.

Froggish

Totally agree. Quality of life sucks ass right now. With all the people wearing masks it was kinda hard for me to tell which moms were really hot at the 7th grade cheerleading parents meeting tonight.
Interesting that the face plays such a big roll for you in evaluating hotness.

Bob Sugar

image-2-696x622.png

froginmn

Sure sure. I forgot the exception is the rule here. Won't happen again. Proceed.
My dad was a doctor, and a very ethical one. But toward the end of his career, he wanted to get out because of how socialized the practice of medicine was becoming. And through his career, as a prominent physician and chief of staff at his hospital, he encountered a variety of doctors who were human, and had human shortcomings. I personally know people in that profession who:

Swindled money from partners
Were alcoholics
Falsified records and practiced after license was revoked

Just wanting to make sure we don't pretend that every single doctor is ethical, and that money doesn't impact decisions those humans make.

Mean Purple

I won't argue with anything you said here. I do think there is an issue, but I don't believe this responds to my original point. Doctors and nurses will decide who is put on a ventilator, and they are not concerned with their hospital getting $29,000 when making this decision. The post I responded to suggests that putting people on a ventilator is a profit center of some sort. It's a slap in the face of people who are working countless hours to help others.
I think there should be a legit concern about pressure they may feel from hospital administrators and even the AMA types. And I have had medical workers tell me that pressure is real. Happened with the hdrxy issue as well. Probably time to start auditing to make sure the money is not leaded to needless and damaging pressure. We are way past overreaction being productive. We have evolved enough of the strategy in this pandemic that it is probably best to not put a set price on an action that gets funds from the government. Get more wholistic, so to speak.

Mean Purple

My dad was a doctor, and a very ethical one. But toward the end of his career, he wanted to get out because of how socialized the practice of medicine was becoming. And through his career, as a prominent physician and chief of staff at his hospital, he encountered a variety of doctors who were human, and had human shortcomings. I personally know people in that profession who:

Swindled money from partners
Were alcoholics
Falsified records and practiced after license was revoked

Just wanting to make sure we don't pretend that every single doctor is ethical, and that money doesn't impact decisions those humans make.

The issue of being forced to practice "defensive medicine" has not helped matters either.