• The KillerFrogs

Whole position group knocked out at OU

Moose Stuff

Absolutely agree just making the point that for universities it’s selling point. They are treating COVID tracking like it’s an amenity on a cruise ship

Sad statement on society when tracking misery and fear is a selling point. In the grand scheme of things I guess I can look at the positive side of things... my kids are gonna absolutely dominate life competing with the pathetic cesspool of pansies that they're growing up with.

Hemingway

i think there’s approx 170k americans who would disagree with your last sentence.

Correct and those deaths are unfortunate. However, do we shut down all shipping in the country when a truck driver has a fatal crash? That hypothetical death would be unfortunate and shutdown of all logistics would catastrophic for the country.

that’s essentially what’s happening right now. The truck driver is at higher risk btw.

Wexahu

Correct and those deaths are unfortunate. However, do we shut down all shipping in the country when a truck driver has a fatal crash? That hypothetical death would be unfortunate and shutdown of all logistics would catastrophic for the country.

that’s essentially what’s happening right now. The truck driver is at higher risk btw.

I think a better analogy is the traffic fatality one. We lose between 30,000 - 40,000 people on roads every single year, have since the mid-1940's. So we basically accept that many people are going to lose their life in this country by allowing cars on the road. And it's not 35,000 old, sick people since those people aren't usually doing a lot of driving. It's primarily younger, healthy people with an entire life ahead of them. And yet we've deemed the positive of having that kind of mobility greater on a whole than the negativity of losing that many lives. 35,000 lives!!! Young, healthy people! We could lower that number to basically zero just by shutting down our roads, but we don't. The reason why we don't is obvious.

That kind of cost/benefit analysis is completely missing from COVID.

Last edited:

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I think a better analogy is the traffic fatality one. We lose between 30,000 - 40,000 people on roads every single year, have since the mid-1940's. So we basically accept that many people are going to lose their life in this country by allowing cars on the road. And it's not 35,000 old, sick people since those people aren't usually doing a lot of driving. It's primarily younger, healthy people with an entire life ahead of them. And yet we've deemed the positive of having that kind of mobility greater on a whole than the negativity of losing that many lives. 35,000 lives!!! Young, healthy people! We could lower that number is basically zero just by shutting down our roads, but we don't. The reason why we don't is obvious.

Critical reasoning is difficult.

Punter1

I've got 3 kids and a wife at 4 different schools. I haven't spent one second worrying about any of them getting COVID. Literally doesn't even register as even the slightest concern for me. I feel bad for the parent who wakes up every day and immediately needs to check the COVID tracker at their kid's school.

I agree, not a worry in the world...got a daughter at Texas State and almost all of her friends have had Covid and zero have had any symptoms...gotta think now many were false positives. They all got tested because their employers needed to see a negative test to go back to work.

The overreaction to college kids getting Covid is beyond ridiculous. Hangovers affect college kids 100x more than Covid...

InstaFrog

What about all those kids in Lubbock getting syphiliis?
Let’s not demean a fellow Big 12 institution without some scientific benefit: What about those kids in Lubbock that are immune to Raider Rash? Those antibodies will eat the Rona for lunch.

froginmn

I agree, not a worry in the world...got a daughter at Texas State and almost all of her friends have had Covid and zero have had any symptoms...gotta think now many were false positives. They all got tested because their employers needed to see a negative test to go back to work.

The overreaction to college kids getting Covid is beyond ridiculous. Hangovers affect college kids 100x more than Covid...

Send 'em home...

https://www.startribune.com/covid-is-spreading-on-college-campuses/572221202/

toadallytexan

ToadallyTexan
I think a better analogy is the traffic fatality one. We lose between 30,000 - 40,000 people on roads every single year, have since the mid-1940's. So we basically accept that many people are going to lose their life in this country by allowing cars on the road. And it's not 35,000 old, sick people since those people aren't usually doing a lot of driving. It's primarily younger, healthy people with an entire life ahead of them. And yet we've deemed the positive of having that kind of mobility greater on a whole than the negativity of losing that many lives. 35,000 lives!!! Young, healthy people! We could lower that number to basically zero just by shutting down our roads, but we don't. The reason why we don't is obvious.

"COST BENEFIT ANALYSIS"...what's a human life worth to you?

JockO de Frog

No, the question is, what is YOUR life worth to YOU? Are you going to get in your car on those dangerous roads to go to work every day? Are you going to drive your car on those dangerous roads to take your family on vacation? We make choices of cost - benefit like that everyday for ourselves and families.

CountryFrog

Just such a tired and useless argument. Wex is absolutely guilty at times imo of coming across pretty cold and indifferent with a lot of this stuff. But the idea that anyone who looks at the very real and very damaging economic impact of a lot of this stuff doesn't also care about human life is absurd, insulting, and doesn't actually help in moving anything forward.

toadallytexan

ToadallyTexan
Just such a tired and useless argument. Wex is absolutely guilty at times imo of coming across pretty cold and indifferent with a lot of this stuff. But the idea that anyone who looks at the very real and very damaging economic impact of a lot of this stuff doesn't also care about human life is absurd, insulting, and doesn't actually help in moving anything forward.
Lives vs. livelihoods -- which has priority in today's times?

Guess the core value is: Lives versus Livelihoods -- which has priority, here and now.

Last edited:

CountryFrog

Lives vs. livelihoods -- which has priority in today's times?

Guess the core value is: Lives versus Livelihoods -- which has priority, here and now.
Lives are obviously the priority but that doesn't mean the economics involved are a total non issue. Both things have to be considered and people who bring up the economic issues are not guilty of a crime against humanity.

Wexahu

Well, I've been called worse.

Lives are obviously the priority but that doesn't mean the economics involved are a total non issue. Both things have to be considered and people who bring up the economic issues are not guilty of a crime against humanity.

It’s far more than just the economic impact. It’s the effect on the overall well-being of people. Just quality of life in general.

Moose Stuff

Well, I've been called worse.

It’s far more than just the economic impact. It’s the effect on the overall well-being of people. Just quality of life in general.

Totally agree. Quality of life sucks ass right now. With all the people wearing masks it was kinda hard for me to tell which moms were really hot at the 7th grade cheerleading parents meeting tonight.