• The KillerFrogs

Who would be the Coach?

Why is it crazy to talk about a coaching change. Most great coaches grow stale over time. No one will argue CGP has not done great things for TCU but at the end of the day you are who your record says you are. Over the past 2 years TCU seems to be getting worse across the board and doesn’t look like a well coached team. This year is shaping up to be one of if not the worst of CGP era. A likely 4-8 finish to this season on top of a 6-6 season last year and god forbid a similar result next year will result in TCU sharing the cellar with Kansas for foreseeable future.

Big Frog II

Last time we got stale we hired new OCs and it turned out pretty well. Probably need to look at our assistants and bring in some new blood.

Christcu

A bunch of negative ninnies... we'll go to a Bowl, where GP has a great record the past decade. Get over that we're one of the very smallest of 130 D1 programs, and that we are out of the picture for an NY6 Bowl game. Get over it; support and pull this group through the next game with a win !!!
Post of the day......

cheese83

I sincerely doubt any of them would even make our preliminary list. And there won't be a list until we have a more established AD. Donati cannot touch GP.

Get Joe Brady in here as an OC. He is making $400k at LSU. Bump him to $1mil, and for the love of God, do not meddle in the offense.

Hahaha, you think LSU won't pay him a million? Why would he leave LSU to come here with less talent?

cheese83

Also isn't the reason old blue bloods aren't as good anymore more to do with scholarship limits? Thought Nebraska and those big programs were famous for having tons of players on scholarship including scout team guys that could play at other schools?

LSU Game Attendee

Also isn't the reason old blue bloods aren't as good anymore more to do with scholarship limits? Thought Nebraska and those big programs were famous for having tons of players on scholarship including scout team guys that could play at other schools?
The scholarship limit has brought more parity, but it's bypassed to an extent by over-signing and running off players who don't contribute enough to winning games (Saban's secret sauce).

I'll be curious to see if "THE PORTAL" ultimately leads to further parity or makes small programs farms for blue bloods.

Billy Clyde

One aspect of the coaching game I wonder about is the networking. You have to give props to Stoops for knowing about and recruiting Riley to OU, and to Riley for upgrading his DC. I don't have a clue how well Gary knows the ranks of young bright assistants across the country. The young guys he has hired have done very well with recruiting, IMHO, but the coaching is leaving a lot to be desired.
What makes for consistent winners in football would seem to be constant innovation. Gary for sure hasn't done that. He developed a revolutionary scheme, but that was 2 decades ago, and now the world has caught up with him and in many cases, passed him by.
I don't know where or how a HC goes about finding the next big thing before his rivals do. I'm not sure Gary does, either.

steelfrog

Tier 1
Networking may be one thing; another thing may be reputation. Do you think that GP's reputation as someone to work for is positive? Would a worthwhile candidate be eager to be screamed at in public on the sidelines, by someone other than Saban? Much less whatever goes on behind the scenes?

Billy Clyde

Networking may be one thing; another thing may be reputation. Do you think that GP's reputation as someone to work for is positive? Would a worthwhile candidate be eager to be screamed at in public on the sidelines, by someone other than Saban? Much less whatever goes on behind the scenes?

Agree, I've made that point before. Other than St. Nick, I can't really think of another elite coach in the game who I'd expect that from. Dabo? Nope. Lincoln? Nope. Kirby? Don't think so. The guy at tOSU? No. You could probably go down the list of this year's Top 10, and not find another one of those, "Old-School" guys who think it's a good idea to humiliate their assistants.
Probably plays a big part in why some of Gary's assistants have been around forever- He can do them like that and not get his ass kicked for it.

asleep003

There is a lot of nonsense on this thread... ie. Kirby Smart is screaming all over the place, all game long, along with Saban. Players get yelled at all over the country for not executing what they spent all Spring/Fall camp, plus week of the game, learning and practicing.

You don't have to like it, but that is the way it is. They know he can get that way, emotional during games, 3 hours a week/12 weeks a year... and that's it.

Last edited:

Froggish

There is a lot out nonsense on this thread... ie. Kirby Smart is screaming all over the place, all game long, along with Saban. Players get yelled at all over the country for not executing what they spent all Spring/Fall camp, plus week of the game, learning and practicing.

You don't have to like it, but that is the way it is. They know he can get that way, emotional during games, 3 hours a week/12 weeks a year... and that's it.

GP isn't unlike a lot of head coaches who get mad and pout I think what we all have a hard time understanding is why if he's so completely put out with the offense is why does he continue to allow those coaches to wear purple? Rather than rant rave and throw temper tantrums just fire the guys and move on. That offensive staff l;ed by Cumbie is now going in its 3-4 season..it is who it is and if he doesn't like its productions, then be a boss

Billy Clyde

There is a lot out nonsense on this thread... ie. Kirby Smart is screaming all over the place, all game long, along with Saban. Players get yelled at all over the country for not executing what they spent all Spring/Fall camp, plus week of the game, learning and practicing.

Lol if you think Gary is d

Can you find and post one pic of Kirby screaming at a coach on the sidelines during a game? Or putting him up to speak post-game to humiliate him, when he has never let him do press before? Should be easy, if he does it, "all game long, all over the place." Just one pic.

cheese83

$1 million to their WR coach?

He's their passing game coordinator and came from the Saints. Basically he's taking a dumbed down version of their offense and has turned Joe Burrow into a top QB. No way they let him leave. Right now Aranda gets $2.5mil as their DC and hell their RB coach even gets $600k.

Chico Dusty

Lol if you think Gary is d

Can you find and post one pic of Kirby screaming at a coach on the sidelines during a game? Or putting him up to speak post-game to humiliate him, when he has never let him do press before? Should be easy, if he does it, "all game long, all over the place." Just one pic.