• The KillerFrogs

Who would be the Coach?

ECoastFrog

I don’t really understand the question. It’s like 100x easier/less risk to hire within, you have had access to them every day for years. A coaching search and you get some interviews and references. Obviously it needs to be a positive relationship (Cumbie isn’t becoming our HC if GP retires).

It is just that OU is such a storied program. It seems they were taking a huge risk hiring someone who has only been an assistant-- even if they knew him personally from being on the OU staff. And then Riley steps in, and OU doesn't miss a beat... they are still doing quite well. I'm just curious how OU's 'crystal ball' was so clear that they knew Riley could do the job.

Froggish

L
Dumb question, maybe. How did OU know it was going to be great to hand the keys from Stoops to Riley? It seems they did not even do a search. Rarely, it seems, does that heralded, new coach end up being all he was cracked up to be. But Riley is just incredible. How did OU have such great insight and confidence? Just curious.

He came to OU from East Carolina and was the OC for several years before Stoops retired...They didn’t bring him to be a successor to Stoops..They brought him in because he had emerged as a great OC and inventive mind at EC..After getting to OU and spending a few seasons as the OC, he impressed everyone in Norman. He was a player favorite, Stoops new how smart he was, and he destroyed it on the recruiting trail...Almost a no brainer hire for OU..

I half way think GP thought the qualities SC has would have made him a successor at TCU...We are now that’s likely not the case

Klaw

Crazy, I also lived there for 8 years. His last two seasons there when he came in for Chang and I led after Hawaii made it to the Sugar bowl. I use to see Rolovich at Red Lion drinking beers. Talked with him a few times, down to earth dude.
As for our alumnus and fans, we should now face reality after this weekend of watching the OU/TX and LSU/Fla. games and realize that without another brief Boykin era, we ain't going to get there. It's not necessarily the coaches or talent level, it's just a great big jump to that level. Our Peach Bowl team could compete, but it seems as though that was an outlier era. I thought we could replicate it going forward but now it seems like that was just wishful thinking.

Texas is only going to get better going forward and if Riley doesn't leave, we slug it out for 3rd. in conference with maybe a really good year where we beat either one. In one spring ball, Grinch has made the OU defense play like the old GP defenses of years past - 9 sacks against a good Texas team with basically the same talent as last year for the Sooners. 9, yep, that's what we have so far in 5 games.

hopefully, the cowboys will fire Red Jesus and hire Lincoln Riley to be their new HC. Win win for Cowboys and Frog fans

netty2424

hopefully, the cowboys will fire Red Jesus and hire Lincoln Riley to be their new HC. Win win for Cowboys and Frog fans
I don’t see any reason LR leaves to go anywhere. He is on top right now at OU. Outside of UT, I don’t think there’s much that stands in their way of CFP year after year. Oh, and he’s makes $6.5 million/year.

And as long as LR continues to win Conference championships, he has no pressure. Playoffs are a bonus.

The timing worked out well for them in their transition to LR alongside the first few years of the CFP. The playoffs have propelled that program equally as much as LR has imo.

I don’t see any reason LR leaves to go anywhere. He is on top right now at OU. Outside of UT, I don’t think there’s much that stands in their way of CFP year after year. Oh, and he’s makes $6.5 million/year.

And as long as LR continues to win Conference championships, he has no pressure. Playoffs are a bonus.

The timing worked out well for them in their transition to LR alongside the first few years of the CFP. The playoffs have propelled that program equally as much as LR has imo.
I'm not convinced he wants to go to the NFL but there's enough Jerry Jones loves Lincoln Riley talk that he's probably going to have to make a choice. If he does have the desire to do it, that's obviously about as high a profile job as there is in the business so...

netty2424

I'm not convinced he wants to go to the NFL but there's enough Jerry Jones loves Lincoln Riley talk that he's probably going to have to make a choice. If he does have the desire to do it, that's obviously about as high a profile job as there is in the business so...
Jerry wants a yes man. Jason Garrett is a yes man.

Lincoln Riley is not a yes man.

Why would he give up not answering to anyone in Oklahoma, to get hamstrung by Jerry Jones.

Raw Frog

Not necessarily recommending it, but Chad Morris is a very good OC. Not a HC.
His record as an OC speaks for itself. Pretty good contacts and recruiter.
Maybe he could be another consultant to learn Gary's signals when he gets canned at Arky.

Eight

Not necessarily recommending it, but Chad Morris is a very good OC. Not a HC.
His record as an OC speaks for itself. Pretty good contacts and recruiter.
Maybe he could be another consultant to learn Gary's signals when he gets canned at Arky.

morris still has 4-years on his contract at arkansas and they have winnable games versus mississippi state in fayetteville and missouri in little rock?

i don't see him being an option as an oc if a move were to be made in the off season.

4th. down

I don't think Riley would leave, OU would match $$ and he's God in Oklahoma.

What GP needs to do is go hire Grinch from OU as his DC and let GP retire as HC only - no more defense and no more offense. Pay Grinch a $mil and see what happens. Maybe this was just a defensive outlier game for the OU defense against Texas but damn, they were impressive. Better defense than LSU, it would be a shootout.

NewFrogFan

I don't think Riley would leave, OU would match $$ and he's God in Oklahoma.

What GP needs to do is go hire Grinch from OU as his DC and let GP retire as HC only - no more defense and no more offense. Pay Grinch a $mil and see what happens. Maybe this was just a defensive outlier game for the OU defense against Texas but damn, they were impressive. Better defense than LSU, it would be a shootout.

I think if LR leaves it is not about money which either side could equal. He is young enough he may have other ideas on his career. Personally I would NEVER leave a great college job for the NFL. However, college landscape may change significantly over next few years for multiple reasons with new TV contracts and paying players at the top of the list. I always understood Sabans motive for going pro from LSU and I understand how fast he figured out he made a bad move.

M

mkel43

By taking GP away from calling defensive plays your really destroying the thing he does best..What makes GP special is his feel for calling a game..
I agree and who would even step in and call? The only coach that GP has ever had on staff that knew the defense like he did and wasn't afraid to challenge Gary instead of just being "yes men" was Dick Bumpus. I can't think of any of his other defensive hires that might have actually tried to challenge Gary or at least told him what he thought and tried to contribute to the gameplan. Meacham was never a defensive guy right?

nwlafrog

I agree and who would even step in and call? The only coach that GP has ever had on staff that knew the defense like he did and wasn't afraid to challenge Gary instead of just being "yes men" was Dick Bumpus. I can't think of any of his other defensive hires that might have actually tried to challenge Gary or at least told him what he thought and tried to contribute to the gameplan. Meacham was never a defensive guy right?

I liked this because I agree and not because the thread is about replacing the coach.

Meach was a solid OC that had plenty of blunders as well as bright spots similar to Cumbie.

you’re spot on, imo. And that’s just my opinion. Gary has way too many yes men who are afraid to tell him “no”

nwlafrog

Also, I was one of the demote or fire Cumbie posters.... let the man do his job. Let sonny run the offense at the tempo that he wants to run it and let GP’s historically great defense match it. If that doesn't work, well, we will be right back at square one with pointing fingers.

you can’t tell an air raid .... spread/ run heavy/ hybrid guy (that he’s turned into) that he can’t run tempo. Awful hire if that’s where Gary is heading. I think Cumbie would work out well somewhere that he has more freedom.

I have no insider info. But I think Cumbie needs to have free reign and let them run wild at whatever tempo he decides on.

Last edited: