• The KillerFrogs

Who is the best Texas h.s. player you ever saw?

Froginbedford

By far the greatest I ever saw was Wonderous Warren McVea. Took what was a mediocre team and made it one of the best in Texas: San Antonio Brackenridge. Their 1963 Thanksgiving holiday bi-district matchup, won by SA Lee was considered the best HS game ever for a long time.
He injured his knee at the Texas All-Star Game at Amon Carter (I was at that game) but recovered enough to star in college and play some meaningful time for the Kansas City Chiefs, but comparatively was a step off what he could have been.
I saw Deerinwater play against Bell, I think it was, and he was a great HS player, big with really low pad levels, but didn't make it at the next level (TCU). Tried him at linebacker, but he did not play all that much. Probably not enough speed.

Bub Deerinwater broke hearts of Bell fans two years in a row....

Limp Lizard

Tyler John Tyler’s Tyler Rose…
EARL CAMPBELL
Hands down…
I did not see him in HS. I saw him in college. I think he played wishbone fullback his first year. By his senior year he was a very, very deserving Heisman winner.

But when he really impressed was his first few years in the NFL. He is the most unstoppable back I have ever seen. Hard to tackle, breakaway speed, plus one thing I always set him apart: balance. You could not knock him off his feet. Whenever a tackler tried to cut him, he would take one long step, then catch his balance somehow, and was gone. Unfortunately, he was the entire offense at Houston and the poor guy was overused and beaten-up way, way before his time. If he had gone to a team with a legitimate passing game...at that time, Dallas for instance...he might have had a few more good years and set unbeatable records.

4 Oaks Frog

I did not see him in HS. I saw him in college. I think he played wishbone fullback his first year. By his senior year he was a very, very deserving Heisman winner.

But when he really impressed was his first few years in the NFL. He is the most unstoppable back I have ever seen. Hard to tackle, breakaway speed, plus one thing I always set him apart: balance. You could not knock him off his feet. Whenever a tackler tried to cut him, he would take one long step, then catch his balance somehow, and was gone. Unfortunately, he was the entire offense at Houston and the poor guy was overused and beaten-up way, way before his time. If he had gone to a team with a legitimate passing game...at that time, Dallas for instance...he might have had a few more good years and set unbeatable records.
He ran with his knees high in high school, as well. He was pretty much unstoppable. A man among my boys.
GO FROGS!
Welcome SMFD!
Spit Blood ~~<~<and fornicate baylor!!

WIN

Reminds me off the "tear away" jerseys that used to be allowed.

4 Oaks Frog

Our own Charlie Davis was pretty amazing in high school. He didn’t get much publicity because of the tiny class B high school we both attended. Charlie could burst through the opposing teams O line and tackle everyone in the backfield…and did on numerous occasions. He was a 4/5 star player if he had played at a large school. And don’t forget, he had to play both ways in Wortham. He was a formidable blocker when he was out in front of our Full Back, Hugh Poindexter…
GO FROGS!
Welcome SMFD!
Spit Blood ~~<~<and fornicate baylor!!?

Rabidfrog

Zach whats-his-name who played for Tech and later pro (still may be playing). PLayed in semis for Canyon, I think, against Snyder h. s. Or maybe the game was played in Canyon. Don't remember.

westoverhillbilly

Earl Campbell in the Tyler John Tyler v Arlington Heights game at Farrington Field in 1973. He looked like an offensive lineman in warmups wearing #20. Then, either the 1st or one of the very early plays he hits the line of scrimmage and swats off all the AH defensive linemen like nats, runs around defensive back Mike Renfro like he's standing still for an 80 yard score. His brothers Tim and Steve were juniors and awesome on defense on that team and both played at Texas too. A buddy of mine at Palestine was a defensive end at 175# and got a concussion trying (operative word- trying) to tackle him in a District game.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I was able to watch Earl Campbell when he was playing for UT. He was truly a special talent, and just blew through tacklers like they were children.

Earl Campbell in the Tyler John Tyler v Arlington Heights game at Farrington Field in 1973. He looked like an offensive lineman in warmups wearing #20. Then, either the 1st or one of the very early plays he hits the line of scrimmage and swats off all the AH defensive linemen like nats, runs around defensive back Mike Renfro like he's standing still for an 80 yard score. His brothers Tim and Steve were juniors and awesome on defense on that team and both played at Texas too. A buddy of mine at Palestine was a defensive end at 175# and got a concussion trying (operative word- trying) to tackle him in a District game.
The news before that game was that Campbell was just a LB that was pressed in to service as a RB late in the season due to injury. Legend has it that Campbell was only listed in that year’s Dave Cambell’s magazine only as a LB. As you described, Earl was simply a better player than a number of future NFL and SWC players on the field that day. The next Fall he should have won the Heisman at UT but the old sports writers back then would never vote for a freshman.

Eight

The news before that game was that Campbell was just a LB that was pressed in to service as a RB late in the season due to injury. Legend has it that Campbell was only listed in that year’s Dave Cambell’s magazine only as a LB. As you described, Earl was simply a better player than a number of future NFL and SWC players on the field that day. The next Fall he should have won the Heisman at UT but the old sports writers back then would never vote for a freshman.

maybe not, but if i recall correctly freshman had only been eligible to play varsity for a few years and they named a junior the winner in 74 which was pretty ground breaking at the time

maybe not, but if i recall correctly freshman had only been eligible to play varsity for a few years and they named a junior the winner in 74 which was pretty ground breaking at the time
That is correct. If the papers were right and Earl only played RB for 6 or 7 games in HS, no one really knew what UT had until he exploded on to the SWC. He looked like a man among boys at UT as a freshman. You can imagine what he looked like the prior year against HS kids, even talented kids like Mike Renfro.

Eight

That is correct. If the papers were right and Earl only played RB for 6 or 7 games in HS, no one really knew what UT had until he exploded on to the SWC. He looked like a man among boys at UT as a freshman. You can imagine what he looked like the prior year against HS kids, even talented kids like Mike Renfro.

friend tells a story that at the end of his senior season early was pretty much playing running back and linebacker when needed

they were able to move the ball up and down the field until they got to the 10 or so and in came earl and no more offense. said earl was the best middle linebacker he has ever seen and that includes the kid from yates when they just beat the [ Finebaum ] out of everyone and armstead at carter

friend tells a story that at the end of his senior season early was pretty much playing running back and linebacker when needed

they were able to move the ball up and down the field until they got to the 10 or so and in came earl and no more offense. said earl was the best middle linebacker he has ever seen and that includes the kid from yates when they just beat the [ #2020 ] out of everyone and armstead at carter
We need to find that 1973 Dave Campbell’s and see if they listed him as a LB, RB or both.

Sangria Wine

Football: Shawn Walters. That guy was an absolute freak. I fully expected him to win the Heisman Trophy at USC.

Basketball: Ryan Mendez. He made me feel like I was playing against Larry Bird.

Baseball: Overall I can’t wrap my head around who was the best. Saw a load of really special players during my time at Pro-Line Cap Company (‘99 to ‘07) attending various national type HS All-Star Games. Todd Van Poppel was definitely the best I saw while coming up through school though.

Latest posts