• The KillerFrogs

Who is the best Texas h.s. player you ever saw?

jrawson

ESPN actually did a cool little writeup on Kyler and other legendary Texas high school QBs.

I know most of yall are from the Lone Star State. You can say QB or just player. Who is the best player you saw LIVE?

In high school. So not a guy who became a stud in the NFL but was a great high school player.

Mine was Jacquizz Rodgers at Lamar down in Rosenberg. My late father was enamored with him. And his brother. But Quizz was amazing.

Runner-up for me was Quentin Jammar down in the Angleton area.

View attachment 10429
Earl Campbell, no contest.

TemCatFrog71

That was 1963. What made it an even bigger deal was the nation was in shock over the assassination of JFK. It was over the Thanksgiving holiday. I was visiting relatives in San Antonio, and they kept talking about McVea and Baer. The game was on TV so I watched it and could not believe my eyes as far as McVea was regarded. Gained over 200 yards playing under center. Lee with Baer had a much better team.

In the video I attached with my first reply they show a few runs of McVea in that game. There is also a long run in the video, against Michigan State, who was ranked #1 and was the defending national champ. 155 yards in 14 carries.
O' Limped One, you are correct, it was "63!! Our new head coach at Temple who came in in the Spring of '64 was from SA and managed to get the coach at Lee to send us the film to watch. It was quite a display of talent.

AroundWorldFrog

Ronnie Littleton Wichita Falls. In our district.
The only guy that has ever played for TCU that I thought should have gone somewhere else. Totally misused incredible HS talent
The 1970 playoff game between Permian and Wichita Falls had some great players from both sides. How Littleton ended up at TCU? Who knows except he supposedly showed up in a brand new truck. That game had Littleton, Joey Aboussie, Job Bob Bizzell, Daniel Justice. Permian won 22-19.

1. Odessa Permian 22, WFHS 19 (Nov. 21, 1970)​

It was the second playoff game ever played at Memorial Stadium, and many believed it could be the de facto Class 4A state title game despite occurring in the first round.

WFHS coach Donnell Crosslin called tails to win the coin flip and set the game up at Memorial Stadium. The Coyotes had been ranked No. 1 the entire season. Permian opened the season ranked 10th, but the Panthers ran the table and finished the regular season at No. 2.

Permian led 22-7 heading into the fourth quarter, but the Coyotes rallied behind TD runs of 27 and 62 yards by Ronnie Littleton. Coyote kicker Vaughn Robertson missed a potential game-tying 37-yard field in the final minute. The Coyotes would have advanced on penetrations if the game ended in a tie.

Former TRN sports editor Ted Buss captured Robertson’s disappointment beautifully.

Wichita Falls High and Odessa Permian play a bi-district playoff game before a capacity crowd a Memorial Stadium on Nov. 21, 1970.

“When the gun sounded and the jubilant Odessa fans raced onto the field, one young man in a red shirt walked alone toward the scoreboard that showed 22-19. Vaughn Robertson was alone for just a moment … soon his shoulder was embraced by a gentleman wearing a Stetson … Donnell Crosslin.”

Permian advanced to the state title game, falling to Austin Reagan, 21-14. This was the final game for Coyote legend Joey Aboussie and many other seniors who helped the program claim its final state title in 1969.

First-hand account: Joey Aboussie, WFHS All-American running back

“It was an exciting game. The stadium was certainly packed.

“There was a 40-mile-an-hour wind coming from the south. It impacted a lot of strategy. For the most part, it didn’t work in our favor.

“Permian was a great team. They were starting some of their dynasty. But we felt like we were the better team. We thought we could win another state title.

“I have a DVD of the game and watched it the other day for the first time in a few years.

“There are a lot of interesting facts about the game when I went back and looked at it. Most of it had to do with plain old field position. Permian started drives in our territory five times, as close as the 24-yard line. We started in their territory once at the 43. We started six consecutive drives inside our own 20, three were inside the 5-yard line.

“I was the punter. I think I had one punt for 12 yards. But I had another for 70 yards. It just depended on the wind.

“We made an odd decision in the second half when we decided to kickoff to start the second half instead of receive. We wanted the wind at our back in the fourth quarter.

“I guess when you call something memorable, you think of good memories and bad memories. We were No. 1 for 10 straight games. Most people felt like we would win state. There was a lot of attention for this game statewide.

“It’s certainly a memorable game for me.”

tetonfrog

Football: 1) Trevor Cobb, RB, Pasadena Dobie. Fast, quick & strong. Watched him score on runs, passes & a punt return. Incredible player both in high school & at Rice.

2) Doug Womack, QB, Aldine. Dude was a wizard on the veer option. Play would be set up for a right-side option & he would see an opening in the left & hit it back. Led Aldine to the state title game, but lost to Permian. He would have been the next great wishbone QB for Boomer, but Switzer got busted. Went to Syracuse, but got beat out by some guy named McNabb. Last I saw if him was as a CB trying to stay with the U’s great WRs.

Baseball: Andy Pettite, Deer Park HS. He got a no decision & the Deer actually lost to my alma mater, Clear Lake HS, that day in extra innings.

HToady

The 1970 playoff game between Permian and Wichita Falls had some great players from both sides. How Littleton ended up at TCU? Who knows except he supposedly showed up in a brand new truck. That game had Littleton, Joey Aboussie, Job Bob Bizzell, Daniel Justice. Permian won 22-19.
It was a black cutless,,,,poor price to pay to be out of your element.

I watched Wichita Falls v San Antonio Lee 1972 State Finals ay Texas Stadium, Littleton led WF to the lead with about 1;25 to play but missed the extra point. SA Lee led by Tommy Kramer (future MN Viking) threw a pass to mid field and a pass to the endzone and made the extra point. Quite a game.

Limp Lizard

in 1967 the state championship between Austin Reagan and Abilene Cooper was played at ACS on a cold cloudy day. I stayed indoors and warm but my roommate went to the game. Reagan won 20-19 with Cooper close to the goal line, but ran out of time. Jack Mildren was the Cooper QB. I never saw Mildren play In HS but he was apparently something special.
Mildren lost that game but was an All American at OU. Looked awfully good running the wishbone!

FrogByBirth

Ticket Exchange Pass
Earl Campbell

Best QB ever was Ted Costanzo. Pure QB talent. Then like a D.A. he went to U of Texas where they ran the triple option and was never heard of again.

Had he gone to Notre Dame or USC or Penn St or Stanford, etc..... He had offers from all of them.
He could have won a Heisman in a Pro style offense. His old man had something to do with UT and the rest is history

Eight

Earl Campbell

Best QB ever was Ted Costanzo. Pure QB talent. Then like a D.A. he went to U of Texas where they ran the triple option and was never heard of again.

Had he gone to Notre Dame or USC or Penn St or Stanford, etc..... He had offers from all of them.
He could have won a Heisman in a Pro style offense. His old man had something to do with UT and the rest is history

think when someone posted the voting for quaterback and the winner was murray it reminds me of all the players such as costanzo, mildred, needham etc.... who were great high school players, dominated their time in high school, but didn't post the numbers because of the offenses they ran or the eras they played in

BleedNPurple

I can’t stand LeBron James because of his ignorance but when he was in high school they actually televised his games in FW. He was a man amongst boys.

Frozen Frog

Steve Needham - Plano late 80’s. QB, led team to 16-0 State Championship when only two teams in each district made the playoffs. No big school/small school bs.

Marcus Stiggers - Lake Highlands early 90’s. QB who ran the wishbone to perfection. Played at Colorado when they were pretty good.

William Cole - Cedar Hill 2000’s. QB, State champion. Probably the best athlete that decade to come out of DFW.

Stiggers might have been the fastest player I ever saw. He was a human highlight reel. You had one chance to try to contain him otherwise he was gone! I think he is back in the LH area.

Cedric Benson was a beast. It wasn't fair with him in the backfield.

stadiumfrog

ESPN actually did a cool little writeup on Kyler and other legendary Texas high school QBs.

I know most of yall are from the Lone Star State. You can say QB or just player. Who is the best player you saw LIVE?

In high school. So not a guy who became a stud in the NFL but was a great high school player.

Mine was Jacquizz Rodgers at Lamar down in Rosenberg. My late father was enamored with him. And his brother. But Quizz was amazing.

Runner-up for me was Quentin Jammar down in the Angleton area.

View attachment 10429
Earl