• The KillerFrogs

Who is the best Texas h.s. player you ever saw?

geefrogs

Football: Jonathon Gray - kid was pretty amazing to watch
Basketball: Rashard Lewis out of Elsik, saw him play when I was in high school, unreal, men amongst boys

Was about to post a photo of Rashard. I knew Coach Hartfiel and was good buddies with his youngest.

Those Elsik-Hastings games were a spectacle.

If Rashard played in today's NBA?? Ohh man!

images (2).jpeg

HornyWartyToad

Earl Campbell and it's not close. Much stronger opinion in hindsight than at the time, having seen him in HS, college and NFL. Suspect he would be even more of a freak today, with modern training regimens and more-open offenses to get him the ball in space. Even though he was physically absurd, his greatest feature, again in hindsight, was having the heart of a lion.

Bonus points for remaining culturally relevant: For fans of Archer, I saw an episode the other day where Ray told Pam, "Earl Campbell called. He wants his thighs back."

TemCatFrog71

Warren McVea
State Bi-district playoff game between San Antonio Breckenridge and San Antonio Robt E. Lee in the Fall of 1964 ... may have showcased the best two Texas RB on the fieldin the same game. Warren McVea (Breckenridge) and Linus Baer (Lee) Epic game that showcased two great high school RBs.

Chongo94

Cool question, I’ve seen lots due to location and numerous family members and friends being coaches so it’s hard to pick.

Stoney Case
Lloyd Hill
Shea Morenz
Roy Williams
Shawn Crow (little TCU reference there)…he was a beast in high school
James Battle (another TCU nugget)

Saw Cedric Benson play against Derrick Johnson, which was awesome. Benson had over 200 yards and Johnson had something like 24 tackles.

Edit: forgot about Shaud Williams too. Dude was great in high school.

Last edited:

Limp Lizard

State Bi-district playoff game between San Antonio Breckenridge and San Antonio Robt E. Lee in the Fall of 1964 ... may have showcased the best two Texas RB on the fieldin the same game. Warren McVea (Breckenridge) and Linus Baer (Lee) Epic game that showcased two great high school RBs.
That was 1963. What made it an even bigger deal was the nation was in shock over the assassination of JFK. It was over the Thanksgiving holiday. I was visiting relatives in San Antonio, and they kept talking about McVea and Baer. The game was on TV so I watched it and could not believe my eyes as far as McVea was regarded. Gained over 200 yards playing under center. Lee with Baer had a much better team.

In the video I attached with my first reply they show a few runs of McVea in that game. There is also a long run in the video, against Michigan State, who was ranked #1 and was the defending national champ. 155 yards in 14 carries.

PineyWoodsFrog

Reggie McNeal - Lufkin QB (and safety if you needed a late interception to close out a 7-pt game in the 3rd of the playoffs)

Dude would have been a present-day Kyler Murray. 2001 was right at the onset of the boom of the spread offenses trickling down to the high school level. Down 20 at halftime to Euless Trinity in the state semifinals, completed the comeback with a last-minute touchdown and almost a repeat the next week in the state final vs. Austin Westlake (who knocked out Vince Young's Houston Madison team in the semis, I believe), coming back from 18 pts down after injuring his ankle early in the game.

At that time, there was a bit of a debate about who was the better QB recruit in Texas between him and Vince Young. Many people were clamoring to see them face off in the state title game, but Madison got knocked out. Obviously, Vince had the better career post high-school, but Reggie was definitely quicker and faster as a runner along more arm strength. He just didn't have the measurables that Vince did. Reggie ended up at A&M and upset #1 ranked OU after coming off the bench in the 2nd quarter as a true freshman.

Dude was just money. He was elected to the Texas High School Hall of Fame last year.

Frog Brother

Some who stood out to me were Jonathan Gray, Kevin Kolb, Jevan Snead and Shawn Robinson.

Shawn was physically ready for college as a sophomore in high school. He was a man among boys.

There were two offensive left tackles who stood out but I don't remember their names. One play for Joey McGuire at Cedar Hill in the early 20-teens. The other played for St. Marks around 2002, he was also the punter and when he kicked the ball I felt the Shockwave 15 feet away. They both signed and play with UT.

PineyWoodsFrog

Reggie McNeal - Lufkin QB (and safety if you needed a late interception to close out a 7-pt game in the 3rd of the playoffs)

Dude would have been a present-day Kyler Murray. 2001 was right at the onset of the boom of the spread offenses trickling down to the high school level. Down 20 at halftime to Euless Trinity in the state semifinals, completed the comeback with a last-minute touchdown and almost a repeat the next week in the state final vs. Austin Westlake (who knocked out Vince Young's Houston Madison team in the semis, I believe), coming back from 18 pts down after injuring his ankle early in the game.

At that time, there was a bit of a debate about who was the better QB recruit in Texas between him and Vince Young. Many people were clamoring to see them face off in the state title game, but Madison got knocked out. Obviously, Vince had the better career post high-school, but Reggie was definitely quicker and faster as a runner along more arm strength. He just didn't have the measurables that Vince did. Reggie ended up at A&M and upset #1 ranked OU after coming off the bench in the 2nd quarter as a true freshman.

Dude was just money. He was elected to the Texas High School Hall of Fame last year.
I believe he would have had a much better career had RC Slocum had the chance to stay or at least someone who ran the same type of offense as Reggie ran under RC. They were not that great as a team, but that offense suited him better. He never repeated that same success under Francione.

Horned Toad

Turner Gill, Fort Worth Arlington Heights, 76-80. Started as a freshman at Nebraska and ended up with a 28-2 record. Almost won a national championship losing to Miami. Great teammate. I was on the scout team defense in high school with him.

GoFrog Yourself

Ty Montgomery - Dallas (St. Marks)
Watched him torch us his sophomore year as a wide receiver then played quarterback the next season just because he was the best athlete they had. Fast, quick, and wasn’t afraid to run your ass over

oldfrog71

Steve Worster from Bridge City. In 1966 I saw him single handedly beat McKinney for the state 3A championship. He was highly recruited and I had heard he was good. But, after seeing him, I thought he was under rated. Threw all that talent and opportunity away at UT. The night before Texas played Notre Dame in the Cotton Bowl he senior year, he stayed out all night drinking and smoking pot. Got back to the hotel just as the team was leaving for the stadium. He played a terrible game and fumbled several times. Never made it in the NFL.

By far the greatest I ever saw was Wonderous Warren McVea. Took what was a mediocre team and made it one of the best in Texas: San Antonio Brackenridge. Their 1963 Thanksgiving holiday bi-district matchup, won by SA Lee was considered the best HS game ever for a long time.
He injured his knee at the Texas All-Star Game at Amon Carter (I was at that game) but recovered enough to star in college and play some meaningful time for the Kansas City Chiefs, but comparatively was a step off what he could have been.
I saw Deerinwater play against Bell, I think it was, and he was a great HS player, big with really low pad levels, but didn't make it at the next level (TCU). Tried him at linebacker, but he did not play all that much. Probably not enough speed.

I saw the game with my father. Never saw another game to compare with it.
By far the greatest I ever saw was Wonderous Warren McVea. Took what was a mediocre team and made it one of the best in Texas: San Antonio Brackenridge. Their 1963 Thanksgiving holiday bi-district matchup, won by SA Lee was considered the best HS game ever for a long time.
He injured his knee at the Texas All-Star Game at Amon Carter (I was at that game) but recovered enough to star in college and play some meaningful time for the Kansas City Chiefs, but comparatively was a step off what he could have been.
I saw Deerinwater play against Bell, I think it was, and he was a great HS player, big with really low pad levels, but didn't make it at the next level (TCU). Tried him at linebacker, but he did not play all that much. Probably not enough speed.

I saw the game with my father. Agree with Limp—but I think it was Lee’s Linus Baer who was injured at the all star game in Ft. Worth.

asleep003

Abilene Cooper's QB Jack Mildren... not only saw him, but unfortunately had to play against him too... on his way to Oklahoma.

Last edited: