• The KillerFrogs

Which will be the best Non AQ Conference

joejordan

Will the MWC continue to hold the title because of BSU?

CUSA is probably slightly deeper with quality teams, by current evaluation.

Will the clamor for inclusion to the party continue or die out now that Utah and TCU are through the ropes and BYU decided they didn't want to party?

BSU can continue to play the Cinderella role, but how long can that last?

Any burgeoning programs at CUSA?

Was this a concession-game ender tacitly approved by the suits at BCS?

While we'll be heading in, it's still a sleazy party.

froginaustin

I think that there's a liklihood that SDSU will be better than anyone in C-USA or any other non-MWC outsider conference. There's hope that Fresno, Hawai'i and Nevada will be, too, because of their recent histories. Maybe UNLV will turn the corner with their new coach. Of course Boise is still likely to the best of the rest. If all these wishes come true, then the MWC is a pretty salty conference compared to C-USA and everyone else.

And the whole system is still corrupt, Fiesta Bowl corrupt. :ph34r:

Cougar/Frog

CUSA will stay pretty far behind the MWC for some time to come. Even without TCU, BYU, and Utah, the MWC with BSU, Fresno, Hawaii, Nevada, AFA, and SDSU is a pretty deep football conference. Plus even losing programs in the conference have had big wins the last 4 years (UNLV--@ No. 15 ASU, Iowa St, Wyoming @ Tenn, UVA, NM over Arizona, CSU over CU).

With the old MWC, the bottom 6 times basically started with 3 conference losses to the Big Three.

CUSA has some nice programs (UCF, East Carolina, Houston, SMU, Tulsa) but also has a bunch of bad programs that make Sun Belt schools look good. It will remain the 8th best conference for the duration and the MWC will likely have BCS busters almost every year. If the Big East grabs 3 CUSA schools to go to 12, then CUSA will be in big trouble.

CUSA will stay pretty far behind the MWC for some time to come. Even without TCU, BYU, and Utah, the MWC with BSU, Fresno, Hawaii, Nevada, AFA, and SDSU is a pretty deep football conference. Plus even losing programs in the conference have had big wins the last 4 years (UNLV--@ No. 15 ASU, Iowa St, Wyoming @ Tenn, UVA, NM over Arizona, CSU over CU).

With the old MWC, the bottom 6 times basically started with 3 conference losses to the Big Three.

CUSA has some nice programs (UCF, East Carolina, Houston, SMU, Tulsa) but also has a bunch of bad programs that make Sun Belt schools look good. It will remain the 8th best conference for the duration and the MWC will likely have BCS busters almost every year. If the Big East grabs 3 CUSA schools to go to 12, then CUSA will be in big trouble.

Largely agree. In hindsight, I think the MWC has a really big competitive advantage over CUSA in that it sits in between the Big 12 and PAC 10 and can compete more effectively for good local talent. CUSA sits right smack in the heart of SEC, ACC, and Big 12 country, in addition to fighting with the Big 10 and Big East for recruits out of the south. Kids who want to stay close to home have lots of options other than CUSA ...

I do think C-USA will jump the WAC in terms of conference strength. I know the bottom of C-USA (Tulane, Rice) is definitely lacking, but those programs are still much better than Texas State or UTSA. If some combination of Houston, UCF, ECU go to the Big East, then there are plenty of options for the C-USA to fill their ranks without pillaging the FCS. La. Tech would probably jump at the opportunity to go to a more stable conference especially because the travel costs would be drastically reduced. Also, C-USA could make a play for Troy, FIU, etc...

Stiff Arm Frog

Actually, I think the MWC will overall still be a stronger conference than the Big East.
ph34r.gif

The MWC vs. C-USA will depend on a lot of things, but mostly whether some of those MWC schools can maintain their momentum, and whether some of those C-USA schools can break that glass ceiling.

Best MWC Teams:
-Boise
-Nevada
-SDSU
-Fresno State
-Hawaii

Air Force can be pretty salty, but no one expects them to be be elite in football, they have more important things to worry about. CSU, Wyoming, and NMU are currently punchlines.

Best C-USA Teams:
-CFU
-SMU
-Southern Miss.
-Eastern Carolina
-Houston

The rest of the conference is dregs, like UTEP, UAB, and Memphis. CFU may leave for the Big East at any moment, SMU hasn't proven it can win anything consistently, and Houston is only good as long as Case Keenum is there. The best hope for C-USA right now is for UCF and SMU to get to BCS games, but with Boise being Boise that seems incredibly unlikely, and even if one does it will get an immediate invite from the Big East.

So yeah, I'd say MWC is definitely the stronger of the two.

Cougar/Frog

Largely agree. In hindsight, I think the MWC has a really big competitive advantage over CUSA in that it sits in between the Big 12 and PAC 10 and can compete more effectively for good local talent. CUSA sits right smack in the heart of SEC, ACC, and Big 12 country, in addition to fighting with the Big 10 and Big East for recruits out of the south. Kids who want to stay close to home have lots of options other than CUSA ...

Great point, I should have made it. The MWC was largely in its one region, dominant in that region. It will be less so in the new MWC and the Pac-12 is claiming the Mountain Time zone based upon Utah and CU, but that is a joke.

CUSA will always be second fiddle to the Big 12, SEC, ACC, and Big East in its home region. Tulsa is the 3rd team in Oklahoma, Memphis is the 2nd or 3rd team in Tennessee, SMU, Rice, and Houston are below TCU and the Big 12 schools, UCF is behind UF, FSU, Miami, and USF, Tulane is far behind LSU, UAB is far behind Bama and Auburn, etc.

CUSA might have some good programs and some reasonably well-supported programs (ECU, UCF, Tulsa, and Houston fit there and maybe SMU too), but it was never going to be a top-tier conference due to geography as much as anything.

Just like the MAC is doomed to behind the Big Ten (even when there are periods when the MAC has 4 or more really good programs in like 10 years ago when Bowling Green, Toledo, Miami of Ohio, and Marshall were pretty good and the Big Ten had only 1 or 2 good teams). The MAC will never progress given the current system.

The MWC was a very good home for TCU and will continue to be a near-AQ conference. It has large schools, most of which have pretty good rankings (lots of Tier 1) which can stand their own against the Pac-12 schools for control of the MWC markets.

joejordan

Interesting point on MWC vs. BE. How close is it? Will Hair make additional moves to strengthen the national perception?

I guess big diff is AQ, and that is HUGE.

Dr. Coach Haus

Y'all are giving SDSU a lot of credit. Remember the coach that brought them up is gone! Rocky Long did a solid job at NM but never was at the same level the Fran brought them to plus put NM on probation.
Hawaii is not that good either. Plus we will see what Nevada is like after graduating Kapernick.

MWC will still be the best non AQ, but the BE top is much better than MWC after TCU leaves.

mtmedlin

Actually, I think the MWC will overall still be a stronger conference than the Big East.
ph34r.gif

The MWC vs. C-USA will depend on a lot of things, but mostly whether some of those MWC schools can maintain their momentum, and whether some of those C-USA schools can break that glass ceiling.

Best MWC Teams:
-Boise
-Nevada
-SDSU
-Fresno State
-Hawaii

Air Force can be pretty salty, but no one expects them to be be elite in football, they have more important things to worry about. CSU, Wyoming, and NMU are currently punchlines.

Best C-USA Teams:
-CFU
-SMU
-Southern Miss.
-Eastern Carolina
-Houston

The rest of the conference is dregs, like UTEP, UAB, and Memphis. CFU may leave for the Big East at any moment, SMU hasn't proven it can win anything consistently, and Houston is only good as long as Case Keenum is there. The best hope for C-USA right now is for UCF and SMU to get to BCS games, but with Boise being Boise that seems incredibly unlikely, and even if one does it will get an immediate invite from the Big East.

So yeah, I'd say MWC is definitely the stronger of the two.

If you add Air Force to your MWC list and maybe memphis to the CUSA side...THEN MERGE THEM. I never understand why you would keep two crappy conferences. WHy not just make 1 that is better. Yes, its a ton of travel but theres a marginal increase. I can fly from Orlando to Houston for about $250. It only costs me $320 to go to California. Half their games would be local and maybe some could be staged neutral. Either way, those 12 teams make a "decent" conference that would be solidly a second tier and could become an AQ... as is...they both kinda are sucky!

btw...as far as UCF (not CFU) They are about to get nailed to the wall for a second round of Major Violations of the NCAA code....their not getting into the BE anytime soon. THe Media loves to report it but it was never going to happen anyhow. USF would vote against them. Lville doenst like them and prefers Houston. West Virginias AD Oliver Luck is a fan of Houston. Rutgers and Pitt do not want anybody else recruiting in Florida. Cinci AD said an extra trip to Texas would be "advantageous". If just 3 football teams vote no, then its dead...and I gurantee that USF and Louisville would be joined by at least 1.