• The KillerFrogs

" Where have you gone Bryan Holaday, a Frog Nation turns its lonely eyes towards you"

we should never expect anything like that ever. And should always be happy and cheer gleefully. Even if we lose 25 games, we can still do it! :rolleyes:

Gee, I sure wish I were as hip and cool as you so I wouldn't ever be considered a homer. I'll bet everyone wishes they were as jaded as you. Dang, maybe I should start whining that Purke doesn't have a 0.00 ERA, or that we're not undefeated. Yeah, that'll show how cool I am. Just like cdsfrog!

cdsfrog

Gee, I sure wish I were as hip and cool as you so I wouldn't ever be considered a homer. I'll bet everyone wishes they were as jaded as you. Dang, maybe I should start whining that Purke doesn't have a 0.00 ERA, or that we're not undefeated. Yeah, that'll show how cool I am. Just like cdsfrog!

lol I guess in your case ignorance is bliss. You must be feeling very blissful

ftwfrog

I think the problem is that coming into the season expectations were to host a super regional. Those chances are all but gone now. That's disappointing in my opinion.
Agreed that our expectations were high, but I don't think that hosting a super regional is out of the question. We've had some bad loses...BAD LOSES, but all it takes is us beating the teams we should. Meaning we go on about a 15 game winning streak(Not at all out of the question) and we'd be 27-7. I know it's baseball and winning 15 in a row is a lot to ask. But if you look at the top 10 there are 3 teams with 5 loses already; and 9 teams in front of us with 4+ loses, including Stanford who is 6-5. Other than the top 3 teams(UF,Vandy,UVA) there isn't a whole lot of teams just running away from the field.

A few side notes: We still play OU twice, Baylor once more, A&M,(all of who are ranked). I also noticed where Texas State was receiving votes as well as UNLV and Oklahoma State in the USA Today poll(which I'm not sure if anyone looks at this one)

Long story short: I wouldn't bet on it, but don't count this team out. We lost a lot of close ones early, and if we can get on a roll, just like losing; winning is contageous.

Houston Frog

Agreed that our expectations were high, but I don't think that hosting a super regional is out of the question. We've had some bad loses...BAD LOSES, but all it takes is us beating the teams we should. Meaning we go on about a 15 game winning streak(Not at all out of the question) and we'd be 27-7. I know it's baseball and winning 15 in a row is a lot to ask. But if you look at the top 10 there are 3 teams with 5 loses already; and 9 teams in front of us with 4+ loses, including Stanford who is 6-5. Other than the top 3 teams(UF,Vandy,UVA) there isn't a whole lot of teams just running away from the field.

A few side notes: We still play OU twice, Baylor once more, A&M,(all of who are ranked). I also noticed where Texas State was receiving votes as well as UNLV and Oklahoma State in the USA Today poll(which I'm not sure if anyone looks at this one)

Long story short: I wouldn't bet on it, but don't count this team out. We lost a lot of close ones early, and if we can get on a roll, just like losing; winning is contageous.

Agree

- Would I put money on us hosting a Super Regional? No
- Has our performance so far this season made it impossible for us to host a Super Regional? Also no

If I'm counting correctly, say we finish the year on a 31-6 run (likely no, but not impossible), then we end up with a 43-13 record on the season coming off a year where we finished 3rd in the nation, made a huge name for ourself, and return all 3 weekend starters. We got a lot of street cred last year, and even though the selection committee wouldn't admit it, they tend to favor programs that have done it in the postseason before.

cdsfrog

Agree

- Would I put money on us hosting a Super Regional? No
- Has our performance so far this season made it impossible for us to host a Super Regional? Also no

If I'm counting correctly, say we finish the year on a 31-6 run (likely no, but not impossible), then we end up with a 43-13 record on the season coming off a year where we finished 3rd in the nation, made a huge name for ourself, and return all 3 weekend starters. We got a lot of street cred last year, and even though the selection committee wouldn't admit it, they tend to favor programs that have done it in the postseason before.

it has to do with the ranking system too. had we had a bad year last year we wouldn't be ranked right now, instead we are 14th. Because last year was so good, it provides a cushion

it has to do with the ranking system too. had we had a bad year last year we wouldn't be ranked right now, instead we are 14th. Because last year was so good, it provides a cushion

Which is exactly my point. We are ranked 11th, 13th, 14th and 14th in the four major polls. That's with a 12-7 record. So obviously, the experts also think we're a damn good team. Not just "homers". Its not homer of me to say "we're 14th in the nation" because we are. The first 19 games are over and we're no worse than 14th with a 12-7 record. If the season ended today, we'd host a regional.

That's why I'm not stupid enough to cry about our team not being "elite" or that its a hopeless case to wish for a super regional becuase we're actually, right now with our 12-7 record, pretty close to hosting super regional.

But don't let the facts get in the way of your hipness. Its far too cooler to disparage the team than to look at it realistically.

cdsfrog

Which is exactly my point. We are ranked 11th, 13th, 14th and 14th in the four major polls. That's with a 12-7 record. So obviously, the experts also think we're a damn good team. Not just "homers". Its not homer of me to say "we're 14th in the nation" because we are. The first 19 games are over and we're no worse than 14th with a 12-7 record. If the season ended today, we'd host a regional.

That's why I'm not stupid enough to cry about our team not being "elite" or that its a hopeless case to wish for a super regional becuase we're actually, right now with our 12-7 record, pretty close to hosting super regional.

But don't let the facts get in the way of your hipness. Its far too cooler to disparage the team than to look at it realistically.

And if we double that performance we would be ranked 35th. It gives leeway now, to host a super regional you would need a crazy insane record. possible, barely maybe, but clearly they didn't play the #1 team at all, they didn't play like a top 25 team. They are ranked there because of of bias (which is awesome)

It's not cool to disparage them, but it's equally uncool for people to jump on others for being disappointed in their current performance through the 1st 1/3 of the the season. I will agree to disagree if you will

SnoSki

During Saturday's UNLV game, at the start of the 5th inning, down 2-0, Kyle Winkler provided the most "spirited" motivational talk I have heard in a long time. Since TCU parents got to sit in the first row, we got to hear every word of it.

Aside from the incredibly deft use of certain unprintable words, the gist of the talk was: " it isn't OK to lose to these guys or to be behind 2-0 again today. If you think its OK, #$%$#$%% you!". There were several other sentences, all of which came back to not being satisfied with where this team was at.

The guys listened (no one interrupted him, I assure you), and went on the score 12 runs that night and 8 the next night.

I think we have a leader, even if he is a pitcher.

Any player who lights a fire is what we need.

We NEED to get this win tonight vs TXSt. Can't keep giving up the midweek games.

ftwfrog

And if we double that performance we would be ranked 35th. It gives leeway now, to host a super regional you would need a crazy insane record. possible, barely maybe, but clearly they didn't play the #1 team at all, they didn't play like a top 25 team. They are ranked there because of of bias (which is awesome)

It's not cool to disparage them, but it's equally uncool for people to jump on others for being disappointed in their current performance through the 1st 1/3 of the the season. I will agree to disagree if you will
Agreed. You cannot pat this team on the back, but you cannot count them out yet either. It's time to regroup(should have been done before conference play started). I would guess that our goal RIGHT NOW, would be to host a regional. If we did that I would be pleased. We have shown that we can go on the road and win a super regional. It's been said that the NCAA and Omaha does not want UT knocked out, so I'm guessing we wouldn't have to go through UT again in fear of us kicking them out...AGAIN :biggrin: If the season ended today, I could see us traveling to OU for a super regional.

Now, it is March. I always curse others for talking projected bowl games in October, so I need to stop talking about hosting a super regional. We have a lot of work to be done, we need to win one game at a time.

Hopefully Jo Boo woke up the bats in the dugout before last Saturday's game, Schloss must have gotten a live chicken. Let's see if we can keep those bats warm for the rest of the season.

cdsfrog

Agreed. You cannot pat this team on the back, but you cannot count them out yet either. It's time to regroup(should have been done before conference play started). I would guess that our goal RIGHT NOW, would be to host a regional. If we did that I would be pleased. We have shown that we can go on the road and win a super regional. It's been said that the NCAA and Omaha does not want UT knocked out, so I'm guessing we wouldn't have to go through UT again in fear of us kicking them out...AGAIN :biggrin: If the season ended today, I could see us traveling to OU for a super regional.

Now, it is March. I always curse others for talking projected bowl games in October, so I need to stop talking about hosting a super regional. We have a lot of work to be done, we need to win one game at a time.

Hopefully Jo Boo woke up the bats in the dugout before last Saturday's game, Schloss must have gotten a live chicken. Let's see if we can keep those bats warm for the rest of the season.

curse me right away. If I was too negative (which I am sure I was) it's because I was too confident in them to perform early. One thing I can agree with frognosticator on, plenty of season left. We need to play a lot better, but things are looking a lot better now than they did 2 weeks ago.

Houston Frog

What's better ML 1 or 2?

not-sure-if-serious.jpg