• The KillerFrogs

What Happens if O is a Dud?

JugbandFrog

How long does it take to say the new O is a dud? Or if Meachem just isn't the guy to run an offense?

How long until LHCGP pulls the trigger? Would this cost LHCGP his job?

Pharm Frog

jugbandfrog said:
How long does it take to say the new O is a dud? Or if Meachem just isn't the guy to run an offense?

How long until LHCGP pulls the trigger? Would this cost LHCGP his job?

Eight games. Eight games.  Five years. No.

Edit:  But the new O is not a dud.  The only question is whether we have or can attract the talent to run it.

Planks

jewstfrogit said:
New staff will get two seasons before GP makes any big moves.

And no. We should make bowls even if Meachem isn't the guy.
Yep. 2014 will have growing pains, but we return virtually everyone on offense in 2015 so there should be no excuse for not having a reliable offense then. I believe we only have 4 scholarship seniors on offense currently on the roster (Fabuluje, Carter, Porter, Joeckel).

Unfortunately, while our offense looks to be much improved in 2015, our defense likely takes a major step back due to how much talent we will be losing on that side of the ball.

SnoSki

What is the bar for the offense to be considered successful this year? At what point will we say the offense is doing enough to win?

We were 8th in the Big 12 last year with 25.1 points per game. (Baylor led at 52.4)
http://www.cfbstats.com/2013/leader/25354/team/offense/split01/category09/sort01.html

9th last year with 344.8 yards per game. (Baylor led with 618.2)
http://www.cfbstats.com/2013/leader/25354/team/offense/split01/category10/sort01.html

Interesting to note is that Baylor's defense was 3rd in total defense (only 6 yards per game behind us)and better than us in scoring defense. I know we were proud of our defense last year but it appears that Baylor's was just as good.

Pharm Frog

SnoSki said:
What is the bar for the offense to be considered successful this year? At what point will we say the offense is doing enough to win?

When we are singing the post-game alma mater and realize that we have scored more points than our opponent.

Dutch

T C U Froooogs
SnoSki said:

We were 8th in the Big 12 last year with 25.1 points per game. (Baylor led at 52.4)
http://www.cfbstats.com/2013/leader/25354/team/offense/split01/category09/sort01.html

9th last year with 344.8 yards per game. (Baylor led with 618.2)
http://www.cfbstats.com/2013/leader/25354/team/offense/split01/category10/sort01.html

Interesting to note is that Baylor's defense was 3rd in total defense (only 6 yards per game behind us)and better than us in scoring defense. I know we were proud of our defense last year but it appears that Baylor's was just as good.
One stat I saw last year was that our defense had to defend a ton more plays than the other teams because the O was off the field so fast, which makes our defensive stats more impressive.

Limp Lizard

That O has worked well everywhere it is implemented:  Oky St, TT, Houston, even Baylor.  So, yeah, it won't be a dud.  

The question is how long will it take be be better than last year's offense.  My guess is the first 3 games, which also have two bye weeks.  I won't really be humming until next year, but should be a lot better than last year's offense by a lot.

jake102

SnoSki said:

Our OOC games were much harder

Planks

Jake102 said:

Our OOC games were much harder
Not to mention our defense had to face their offense, while their defense got to face our offense.

I'd like to see a defensive comparison of the two defenses against the eight "common offenses" that they faced (Texas Tech, Kansas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, West Virginia, Kansas State, Iowa State)

Reptilian

Planks said:
Yep. 2014 will have growing pains, but we return virtually everyone on offense in 2015 so there should be no excuse for not having a reliable offense then. I believe we only have 4 scholarship seniors on offense currently on the roster (Fabuluje, Carter, Porter, Joeckel).
Unfortunately, while our offense looks to be much improved in 2015, our defense likely takes a major step back due to how much talent we will be losing on that side of the ball.
Definitely need to develope some youth at LB this year for 2015. Other than that, unless someone leaves early, we lose Hunter, Sam Carter and K White. I think 2015 sits up nicely as does this year.

JugbandFrog

Reptilian said:
Definitely need to develope some youth at LB this year for 2015. Other than that, unless someone leaves early, we lose Hunter, Sam Carter and K White. I think 2015 sits up nicely as does this year.
Who do we have at DE to replace fields, assuming he has a monster year and goes pro?

Planks

Reptilian said:
I think Devonte Fields, Davion Pierson, and Chris Hackett are all more likely than not to leave early.

That means we lose:

Devonte Fields
Chucky Hunter
Davion Pierson
Marcus Mallet
Jonathan Anderson
Paul Dawson
Sam Carter
Chris Hacket
Kevin White

Even with the phenomenal defensive coaching we have, that's simply way too much talent to replace.

jake102

Reptilian said:

Planks said:
I think Devonte Fields, Davion Pierson, and Chris Hackett all leave early.

Bingo.

We will likely lose Dawson, Mallett/Anderson, SCarter, Hunter, KWhite, Fields, Pierson and Hackett.

8 out of 11 starters.

Fortunately Iloka should be an shoe-in to replace Hackett with little to no drop-off in 2015. Need to find a SS

Whitmill and Douglas come in at LB

Who knows on CB.

Hopefully Lathan, McFarland and Carraway can handle DE spot.

Planks

Bruce Berry said:
If the offense is highly effective and a huge success will we be able to keep our new coordinators?
Nope. But that's ok, that's just part of the game. The key isn't to keep successful coaches from leaving, the key is to replace them with successful coaches when they do leave (something we failed to do when Fuente left). That's what good programs do.