• The KillerFrogs

Week 9 – Other Games Open Thread

Hefley001

TCURiggs said:

Ha. Good call. I sure did.

However, I still feel good about our chances next week. Our offense is better than Tech's and our defense is much better than it was 4 or 5 weeks ago. I've been a little worried about your defense until today, after finally seeing them play a legit offense, and Walsh won't be able to do anything close to what he did today against us.
I'm definitely NOT looking forward to next 3 of 4 games. It's gonna get nasty that's for sure.

jack the frog

A little football perspective from a Tech fan and a Horn fan respectively:

quote_icon.png
 Originally Posted by FreightTrainJim 
If beating Tech in Lubbock was not an easy task we would be better than 3-15 at home against conference teams not named KU and ISU since 2010. Tech's homefield advantage is highly, highly overrated. It USED to be an advantage...no more. Even Iowa State has managed to beat four teams not named Kansas in that same time span.

Re: Bowl, I know you want us to get to one because it would improve your resume and make you feel less badly about giving up 50+ to a terrible team, but your offense has not exactly been the most sound this season and still put up 70 points against us. Think about that. If you seriously think that even the offensively challenged teams of WVU, KSU, and UT will have a hard time putting up 40+, 50+, or 60+ against us, think again. Our defense is a triple threat...can't tackle, can't shed blocks, can't stop the pass. 

Our only hope to win games is to score on every possession and hope the defense can get a miracle stop or turnover. The only game that worked out for us so far was Arkansas (in which we literally never punted and still barely scraped out a win against a basement SEC team missing half of its offense). We played damn near perfectly on offense against TCU and lost. We played well enough on offense to win against you this afternoon and lost. The next three games will be the same...exciting wins for WVU, KSU, and UT against a "vastly improved Tech team," as I keep hearing us called in the post-game obituaries.

Charlie's big season at UL was against this Murder's Row

Ohio (7-6)
Eastern Kentucky (6-6)
Kentucky (2-10)
FIU (1-11)
Temple (2-10)
Rutgers (6-7)
L - Central Florida (12-1)
South Florida (2-10)
UConn (3-9)
Houston (8-5)
Memphis (3-9)
Cinci (9-4)
Miami (9-4)

That's how you lose 1 game and still get ranked 15th...

NNM

I can eat 50 eggs
TCUdirtbag said:
Welp, American Pharaoh going to the glue factory, but got one last win. 
Not quite glue factory. He's destined to live out the rest of his life as a breeding stallion. Which means having the finest Fillies in all the land brought to him for a few minutes of fun. Every day for the rest of his life. And in between, he'll be "milked" to store up gallons of his seed for the other Fillies who can't be worked into his schedule.

Not bad work, if you can get it.

Ron Swanson

SnoSki said:
Maybe the big 12 isn't that bad at defense. Maybe these offenses just run efficient systems with vastly superior athletes?

Has everyone on the planet forgotten that TCU hung 42 on the nation's top scoring defense last season? 42 points after Ole Miss had 4 weeks to prepare???
And we had 42 points with ten minutes left in the THIRD QUARTER!!!!

We could've hung 60+ on them if we wanted, but Gary likes Freeze and let off the gas

rifram09

netty2424 said:
Are you kidding me? Who does this clown think he is?

Houston? With that pitiful strength of schedule?! They could never handle the week-in-week-out grind of a BCS---err--- P5 league! And they can't even fill that tiny stadium they play in! Sure, they're a cute mid-major, but they can't hold a candle to big boy football. Even Iowa State and Kansas would roll them by 40 points and bring more fans to Houston's own stadium.

Or something...

SnoSki said:
Maybe the big 12 isn't that bad at defense. Maybe these offenses just run efficient systems with vastly superior athletes?

Has everyone on the planet forgotten that TCU hung 42 on the nation's top scoring defense last season? 42 points after Ole Miss had 4 weeks to prepare???
This. I was arguing with some A&M friends last week about how boring the SEC is to watch at times. Some of the offenses can look archaic at times. There is no consistently dominant offense in the conference. After the Bama game, they admitted that maybe it was time to re-evaluate their offensive philosophy.

There's not a team in the SEC who could hold us or Baylor under 35 points and maybe only 2 who could score that many.

Ron Swanson

I'm watching college football Sunday on ESPN and Doug Rhoads, a former ACC head of officiating, just sat here in a phone interview and straight up said that he did not think the refs screwed up the official review process in the Duke versus Miami game. He said that there was not irrefutable evidence to overturn the fact that the knee was down. He literally sat there and said that a screenshot or still photo can make it look like his knee was down but it was not irrefutable and he agreed with the refs' decision.

Most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

jake102

Disgusting. That's how these incompetent people keep their jobs

Need to pay college refs more if we want half decent officiating

WIN

Jake102 said:
Disgusting. That's how these incompetent people keep their jobs

Need to pay college refs more if we want half decent officiating

Never be able to out pay those that want to determine the outcome.

Ron Swanson said:
I'm watching college football Sunday on ESPN and Doug Rhoads, a former ACC head of officiating, just sat here in a phone interview and straight up said that he did not think the refs screwed up the official review process in the Duke versus Miami game. He said that there was not irrefutable evidence to overturn the fact that the knee was down. He literally sat there and said that a screenshot or still photo can make it look like his knee was down but it was not irrefutable and he agreed with the refs' decision.

Most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.
I actually buy that to an extent. From that angle you can make the assumption that the knee was down but there is a slight possibility it could be a shadow. I find it hard to believe that was the only view they had. That's my problem with replay...some games have more angles than others. University of North Texas/UTSA may have 3 cameras total. ND/Temple probably had at least 8. Depending on the magnitude of the came the real be more cameras and more opportunity to get it right...which doesn't seem terribly fair.

TCURiggs

They just announced that they suspended the entire officiating crew, including replay officials, from the Duke/Miami game. They also released a statement that pointed out all of the obvious things they missed on that final play.

Miami's Twitter account wins the day with this Tweet:

https://twitter.com/MiamiHurricanes/status/660875508176044032

Am I the only one who think he fumbled when the knee was down and the guy that ran on the field did so after the play was over?

The focus needs to be on the obvious block in the back, which is all they needed to get right. You had one job to do on a play like that