• The KillerFrogs

Website offers Cam Newton $1 million

icemonkee

All of which detect if someone is lying.

or nervousness, or a terrible itch, or just being uncomfortable

Lie detectors work by establishing a baseline through control questions and comparing that baseline to the real questions asked. If the subject is anticipating the real question (which he is, because he knows all the questions before hand), he will react in some way. Quite often there is a significant reaction even if they are telling the truth.

Houston Frog

or nervousness, or a terrible itch, or just being uncomfortable

Lie detectors work by establishing a baseline through control questions and comparing that baseline to the real questions asked. If the subject is anticipating the real question (which he is, because he knows all the questions before hand), he will react in some way. Quite often there is a significant reaction even if they are telling the truth.

I understand how lie detectors work (at least conceptually), I just don't think it's quite as easy to beat a lie detector as you apparently do. They're not 100% by any means, but they're pretty damn reliable.

Kaiser

I understand how lie detectors work (at least conceptually), I just don't think it's quite as easy to beat a lie detector as you apparently do. They're not 100% by any means, but they're pretty damn reliable.

They're actually pretty unreliable. Much more art than science.

HoustonHornedFrog

it still disgusts me that his dad, a minister, was shopping him around.

Why does that disgust you? The church has been the biggest source of corruption and scandal for the last 2,000 years!

That is like saying that hospitals are a major cause of staff infections. It may be true, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't think it is bad when it happens. Also what exactly is "the church" that you speak of?

icemonkee

Yeah, 50/50.... that's why they're admissable in court in the United States

That is only because they do quite well in getting confessions when people think they are actually working. Plus, not all jurisdictions allow, and quite often the test must meet strict standards and specifically be allowed by the judge.

However, we wouldn't need a lie detector to tell that Cam Newton isn't telling the truth.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
You all have it wrong. Completely.

At this point, Scam Newton is done with Auburn. He's used them fully and completely and they have nothing left to offer him.

On the other hand, the folks running this "lie-detector" thing don't want Scam Newton's scalp, they want Auburn dead.

What's to stop Scam from taking them up on their offer, consigning Auburn to flaming death, cashing the check and heading off to Buffalo (if they are stupid ough to draft him)?

It's a million bucks for ratting out Auburn. Why not? After all, Scam's in it for the money...

AEAfrog

Yeah, 50/50.... that's why they're admissable in court in the United States

50/50 is a bit low but their accuracy is closer to that number than it is to 100%. Lie detector tests are admissible because they're one of many pieces of evidence to be weighed. If they were really an accurate barometer of whether a person was telling the truth, trials would be irrelevant.

The problem is that lie detector tests have so many variables involved. First, you have to set a baseline which can be manipulated. Second, you have questions that are also easily manipulated. Finally, you have a reading that measures the subject's reaction to the question that could mean any number of things. There is simply too much involved with those tests for them to be considered an accurate test for truthfulness.

michaelperrytcu

ESPN just did a special on Auburn's spring practices and they show Chizik telling the team "It's expensive to be successful. It costs a lot to be great"... probably not the best choice of words...

tcudoc

You all have it wrong. Completely.

At this point, Scam Newton is done with Auburn. He's used them fully and completely and they have nothing left to offer him.

On the other hand, the folks running this "lie-detector" thing don't want Scam Newton's scalp, they want Auburn dead.

What's to stop Scam from taking them up on their offer, consigning Auburn to flaming death, cashing the check and heading off to Buffalo (if they are stupid ough to draft him)?

It's a million bucks for ratting out Auburn. Why not? After all, Scam's in it for the money...

I believe he only gets the million if he successfully answers "no" to those questions. If he rats them out, he will have answered "yes" to the questions, which would be expected, and not net him the million. I think that was the catch.