• The KillerFrogs

We better not get screwed out of the Texas Bowl

ShreveFrog

I deleted my comment because I misread the comment I was responding to.

But I stand by my belief that OU struggles vs. Texas while tOSU looks like the best team in the country not named Bama on Saturday and they go to the playoffs instead of the Sooners.

@Wexahu -- To answer your point, the committee bumped tOSU 4 spots this week, putting them in position to justify passing OU. jmho

Eight

If OU beats Texas handily there is ZERO percent chance OSU passes them. They can't. OSU plays an inferior opponent, they aren't going to jump OU after OU beats a better team. And spare me the comparisons to 2014 because these situations aren't comparable no matter how much people try to force them to be.

The only way OU doesn't stay ahead of OSU is if they play a really close game with UT and OSU blows out NW. For the 100th time, if the committee was hell bent on keeping the Big 10 in, they'd have ranked OSU ahead of OU this week.

BABYFACE

Rules of Life #1 - When decisions are being made when big money is involved, the decision will be made to the benefit of big money, not what is right. Sometimes, what is right/just and big money line up with each other. When big money is not involved, making decisions based on what is right is easier and happens more frequently.

Frog-in-law1995

I deleted my comment because I misread the comment I was responding to.

But I stand by my belief that OU struggles vs. Texas while tOSU looks like the best team in the country not named Bama on Saturday and they go to the playoffs instead of the Sooners.

@Wexahu -- To answer your point, the committee bumped tOSU 4 spots this week, putting them in position to justify passing OU. jmho

I absolutely think they will quickly jump OSU over OU if either team gives them any reason to do so this weekend, but Wex is right that bumping OSU to 6 is not an indication of that. Who else should be at 6?

dawg

Rules of Life #1 - When decisions are being made when big money is involved, the decision will be made to the benefit of big money, not what is right. Sometimes, what is right/just and big money line up with each other. When big money is not involved, making decisions based on what is right is easier and happens more frequently.

Yup. tOSU is a bigger national draw (with more alumni and WalMart fans spread over a larger section of the country), than OU, which leads to higher ad revenues. If tOSU and OU are both 12-1 and Alabama defeats Georgia, ESPN will select tOSU. They were only left out last year because they had two losses.

Wexahu

I absolutely think they will quickly jump OSU over OU if either team gives them any reason to do so this weekend, but Wex is right that bumping OSU to 6 is not an indication of that. Who else should be at 6?

Bingo. All the committee did was essentially move OSU ahead of UCF, and given that OSU beat the #4 team pretty handily and UCF beat yet another unranked team who had lost four games in a row, that's not all that surprising, is it? There were no other viable options at #6 so it pretty much had to be OSU unless you still think UCF should've stayed ahead of them. But somehow the committee had some grand scheme in mind by putting OSU #6 behind the team they want them to pass. Makes literally no sense at all. OSU is ranked right where they should be. Why can't people accept that?

Wexahu

Yup. tOSU is a bigger national draw (with more alumni and WalMart fans spread over a larger section of the country), than OU, which leads to higher ad revenues. If tOSU and OU are both 12-1 and Alabama defeats Georgia, ESPN will select tOSU. They were only left out last year because they had two losses.

If Oklahoma wins by more than 10 points I'll bet you anything you want OSU doesn't pass them. Deal?

Zubaz

Why then did they move their CCG opponent, Northwestern, down 2 spots following a win over 4-8 Illinois, while keeping OU's CCG opponent level following a win over 3-9 Kansas?

Wexahu

If OU wins 55-45 and OSU wins 56-10, I’ll be back to take that bet.

No, you gotta do it now. In your scenario, there is at least some chance OSU passes them, but i'd be willing to bet it doesn't quite materialize like that. In any event, if the committee wanted OSU in they'd be ahead of OU right now.....so it'd be really stupid to say after the fact if your scenario occurs and OSU ends up #4 that the committee wanted OSU in all along. Would you not agree?

MTfrog5

If Milton was healthy I think they would have put UCF at 6, but with him getting hurt it’s not close to the same team. Not saying I agree with that but I think they would have done that to make them happy. If OU wins I don’t see how they’d have Ohio State in the top 4 regardless how good Ohio State looks

Wexahu

I can't wait until the NFL adopts this great system! We know that the Saints, Rams, and Chiefs are top 3 but who gets the fourth spot? Oh, this is so great and better than an actual playoff.

The NFL has a 16-game schedule and 32 teams. Not a 12-game schedule and 128 teams. If you don't realize how huge a difference that makes in trying to squeeze in a tournament where every team unequivocally earns their playoff spot and everything is determined on the field in games than, to quote eight, I don't know what to tell you.

Wexahu

If Milton was healthy I think they would have put UCF at 6, but with him getting hurt it’s not close to the same team. Not saying I agree with that but I think they would have done that to make them happy. If OU wins I don’t see how they’d have Ohio State in the top 4 regardless how good Ohio State looks

Has anyone ever answered the question of who is better, Oklahoma or Ohio State? Who would be favored in that game? Forget conference allegiances and bragging rights, payouts, what have you. If they played this week who would win?

Last edited:

Frog-in-law1995

No, you gotta do it now. In your scenario, there is at least some chance OSU passes them, but i'd be willing to bet it doesn't quite materialize like that. In any event, if the committee wanted OSU in they'd be ahead of OU right now.....so it'd be really stupid to say after the fact if your scenario occurs and OSU ends up #4 that the committee wanted OSU in all along. Would you not agree?

I won’t say they don’t want them, only that they correctly recognize they can’t justify it. Yet.

Frog-in-law1995

I think they want to keep UCF as far away from 4 as they can justify in case all hell breaks loose on Saturday.

Wexahu

I won’t say they don’t want them, only that they correctly recognize they can’t justify it. Yet.

I think they could have easily justified it had they wanted to. OU's defense has been trash all season and they really haven't beaten anyone yet. That's how they could've justified it. You even said yourself that OSU would probably be favored in a game between the two right now. What more justification would they need?

Latest posts