• The KillerFrogs

Uhhh...Dixon to UCLA rumor/ news

leofrog

great, so why rush the hire?

if dixon is leaving, if noi is leaving which i suspect would lead to lat following, if bane is leaving, and the recruiting class is in jeopardy you need to find the right guy to build a program and not someone to keep a few kids

that is the difference here to me. dixon won games, but right now there are big holes in this program even if he stays, bane stays, and someone noi stays even with the 3 recruits there are big roster holes.

tcu is in a bind because as we speak half of dixon's first three classes are gone. whomever coaches here next year will have to deal with that be it jamie or the next coach.

you need someone who can build a program and that is the first priority and not rushing to keep 3 kids who as we have seen could possibly be gone faster than many thought.
My comments were more for the signed recruits.

Agree with you not rushing the hire, but we do need to find someone ASAP if this does happen. With how quickly recruits sign, we need to have someone on board soon, especially if we have 8-10 scholarships open as some are predicting.

I would echo TIOT from up-thread: Dixon leaving would indeed be a disappointment. TCU is a special place, and just ditching after a short span to "move on up" is demoralizing to those of us who believed in Dixon as a TCU stalwart, someone who would honor his old school. If we are indeed merely a stepping-stone to him, then so be it. While I understand and appreciate all that the Bruin Guy had to say, and the simple fact that UCLA is, well, UCLA and all, it simply isn't what is once was. Like the old koan somebody had on his footer here some time ago, the river is not the same, and I am not the same.

The cold, dispassionate way of the world is that sports are a business. One cannot let thoughts be clouded by abstractions like loyalty, or fellowship. UCLA is offering several millions worth of good reasons to up-stick and head west. Could those millions be gained here in Fort Worth? Possibly. But they will most assuredly be gained in L.A. In three years, Dixon has a very good chance of being far better off financially than if he stayed.

The lesson of GMFP v. Fran stands out, though. One can, indeed, continue on to greener pastures. But, eventually the trail runs onto the desert* and there's no place left to go. Yet, if one had stayed put, seen the drama through, perseverance could well reward the patient grinder far more than the urgent leaper.

Eh. I don't know all the variables. Nor do I know much of the goals of the parties involved. I only know that I am not the youngster I once was, and that my goals have narrowed somewhat due to the strictures of reality. I am sure this is the case for others involved in this.

If he goes, I wish him well.

*Insert lyric from America here...
The one about alligator lizards in the air?

Eight

My comments were more for the signed recruits.

Agree with you not rushing the hire, but we do need to find someone ASAP if this does happen. With how quickly recruits sign, we need to have someone on board soon, especially if we have 8-10 scholarships open as some are predicting.

much of the talent in the incoming class has already signed. one of the big issues with the early signing dates in basketball.

i would be open to them looking overseas or hitting the transfer market to fill holes with a player who will be here only for a year as opposed to signing a kid who is a project and who really can't help for 2-3 years.

frogs need help inside, it was obvious last night and you have 1 player who has shown any consistent ability to play in the paint. go get a couple of transfers who will bang, rebound, block a shot or two

LVH

What about Ryan Miller or Scott Cross? We know Miller can recruit. Apparently Cross can coach.

Ryan Miller has no head coaching experience, I don't think this job is a learn on the go job. That's my issue with him

Cross can probably coach and no offense to him but he made one NCAA tournament in his tenure at UTA which is my biggest red flag with him

Hornedfrog431

What about Ryan Miller or Scott Cross? We know Miller can recruit. Apparently Cross can coach.

Both would be very viable options imo. I’ve had only a few interactions with both of them and both seem like really good people with a lot of experience.

Although Ryan hasn’t had coaching experience he’s well connected, has had a lot of relationships with players and recruits, he could put together a good staff to bridge. He’d do a good job and would represent university well. Would be a good hire.

Scott cross - has HC experience, would do a good job. Hasn’t been here as long and not sure of the dynamics with Troy but guess that wouldn’t be an issue.

Both would be great hires and both are ready.

BABYFACE

Since it is out there now I can just tell you Noi is gone

I am fine with that. He has so much potential and ability but not a fan of his basketball IQ. He truly can be as good as he wants to be. Hopefully, it clicks and he realizes that. It would be wise to follow Kenny Hustle’s lead.

I know Miller catches grief on here occasionally and sometimes deservedly so. However, JD Miller goes hard all the time whether he is on or not. I have a lot of respect for that.

Last edited:

cheese83

I am fine with that. He has so much potential and ability but not a fan of his basketball IQ. He truly can be as good as he wants to be. Hopefully, it clicks and he realizes that. It would be wise to follow Kenny Hustle’s lead.

I know Miller catches grief on here occasionally and sometimes deservedly so. However, JD Miller goes hard all time whether he is on or not. I have a lot of respect for that.

Yes Noi just disappears at times. Real frustrating, he did that in the 1st half last night.

BABYFACE

Doesn’t matter if they are signed, if they want to re-open they will and probably will be eligible immediately wherever they go.
They can transfer but are not eligible to sign with anyone else unless TCU releases them from LOI’s. They can choose not to enroll and sit out a year and resign elsewhere.