• The KillerFrogs

The Post LHCGP Coach Discussion

Wexahu

I don’t disagree, but that’s the challenge and that’s the ticket - finding the right guy. No doubt it’s easier said then done.

With your last comment, sure maybe. Hard to say for some - like KK, who is only had 1 QB. But McVay is 100% the reason (over the QB). Jared Goff has never won an NFL game without him - and McVay took him to the Super Bowl. There are dudes out there that are the next wave. Those are guys we gotta find. If not, sure let’s hire Dykes and be above average. I’d rather swing for the fences.
Those guys are also much more likely to move on at the first chance.

I’d just probably prefer a more proven guy and one who may have been around long enough to know the grass isn’t always greener somewhere else.

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
ESPN writer offers a candidate list (FWIW):

SMU coach Sonny Dykes
Louisiana coach Billy Napier
Virginia Tech coach Justin Fuente
Nevada coach Jay Norvell
Texas A&M defensive coordinator Mike Elko
Clemson defensive coordinator Brent Venables
Liberty coach Hugh Freeze
Georgia offensive coordinator Todd Monken
Utah State coach Blake Anderson
Baylor offensive coordinator Jeff Grimes

Pharm Frog

For those of you advocating for Venables….might be helpful to go back a few years and read what was said when Stoops stepped down. Distillation: Venables is an excellent coordinator and would likely be a significantly less effective head coach. That said, maybe he has learned but do we want to have the same situation that we just extricated from?

PurplFrawg

Administrator
I agree Steel my point is that he essentially DID quit for those on here defending him saying that he did not. He had an option to stay so this makes him just like some of the Portal quitters and such that quit on their team to go somewhere else cuz they arent getting playing time

Just curious, but from a legal standpoint, does he forfeit any buyout monies by quitting, per se?