• The KillerFrogs

The Post LHCGP Coach Discussion

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
For all those people saying "what has Coach X ever won?" or "he's a failed coach" so why would we want him?..... Art Briles was 34-28 in his 5 seasons at UH, never went better than 8-4 in C-USA, and never won a bowl game before Baylor hired him. And the list of successful HS coaches like Briles that failed at the college level is a mile long.
There's a certain ex-Tech coach who get to the NFL and kicked ass after not really doing all that hot at the College level.

How can one tell who has IT and who doesn't? Where is out RIGHT STUFF detector?*

*I suggest a thorough search of Bill Koehler's old office...

FrogCoach84

From a pure coaching standpoint I think Napier is my #1. He’s got a great pedigree and is a guy Nick Saban chased down to bring back on staff after he left.

From a transfer portal, NIL standpoint I think Dykes is #1 choice. He has proven he can work the portal, specifically bringing DFW kids back home.

I think Sonny could come in and make this a consistent 8 win program almost immediately with the occasional 10 win pop up season.

I think Napier may take a couple of seasons to see results. I think the floor is lower than Sonny but the ceiling is higher. He could absolutely build a true contender in the new Big 12…much like his first mentor Dabo did with Clemson in a meh ACC.

Wexahu

There's a certain ex-Tech coach who get to the NFL and kicked ass after not really doing all that hot at the College level.

How can one tell who has IT and who doesn't? Where is out RIGHT STUFF detector?*

*I suggest a thorough search of Bill Koehler's old office...
Yep, lots of factors.

I'm mainly responding to people saying Dykes would be a poor hire because of etc, etc, etc. I'm not saying he's a perfect candidate by any means, I don't love how his defense have played, BUT if you look at his overall resume and consider all factors, it is pretty impressive. And he's from Texas, presumably knows a bunch of HS coaches here, I think kids generally like playing for him, and there are rumors that this is the job he wants. Again, could be wrong and it could backfire miserably I guess, but I think it could be a great fit.

As for his "failure" at Cal, that's a place where coaches go to die, and him being there was a terrible fit in the first place.

Toad Jones

Those guys are also much more likely to move on at the first chance.

I’d just probably prefer a more proven guy and one who may have been around long enough to know the grass isn’t always greener somewhere else.
Of course they will move on and probably so would you if it was providing a challenge. Just go with the best and provide the best legal support you can. I'll wager this, by the end of next week TCU will have narrowed the search to two.

4th. down

From a pure coaching standpoint I think Napier is my #1. He’s got a great pedigree and is a guy Nick Saban chased down to bring back on staff after he left.

From a transfer portal, NIL standpoint I think Dykes is #1 choice. He has proven he can work the portal, specifically bringing DFW kids back home.

I think Sonny could come in and make this a consistent 8 win program almost immediately with the occasional 10 win pop up season.

I think Napier may take a couple of seasons to see results. I think the floor is lower than Sonny but the ceiling is higher. He could absolutely build a true contender in the new Big 12…much like his first mentor Dabo did with Clemson in a meh ACC.
I like these thoughts and do believe Dykes is a safe one, he can check most all of the boxes except he didn't overrule his special teams coach which should have been a squib kick to save the game with the Coogs.

Toad Jones

No, No No to Fuente. Like Dykes. Napier. Traylor.
Traylor was given a contract extension this last week end and he signed it. Traylor gone. They might give Fuente a look but that is all. I think they have in mind an up and coming coach with reputation of excellence who's age is in the late 30's or early forties. Remember this is just like a divorce, for some reason you are attracted to the opposite of what you had. They'll figure it out and realize the urgency of it b/c of recruiting. The old coaching bunch have left detailed reports on kids and that is a great start for a new coaching staff.

G Mother Froggen P

The Athletic has put out an article which mentions that TCU is a top 20 Coaching job in the country... I wholeheartedly agree due to numerous factors..

Luke Fickell hasn't been mentioned a ton on this board due to the obvious slim chances he would accept, but I sure hope we at least make a pass at him. Billy Napier clearly not a bad option as well. Kellen Moore would be fantastic. Lots of promise out there, I'm excited. Let's not sell our program short and aim for the fences on the next coach.

Last edited:

Jackson

Dykes would be a safe hire on many fronts. He has P5 HC experience. He has paved recruiting in roads throughout Texas. He has done a remarkable job at SMU. He may not be the next Nick Sabin but he sure is a proven HC who should take little time to get up to speed. He should be able to minimize portal defections and also bring in talent where its needed. You don’t follow a legendary HC with a sub-conference HC. TCU’s current roster deserves better and DYKES is the right guy now.

Toad Jones

The Athletic has put on an article mentions that TCU is a top 20 Coaching job in the country... I wholeheartedly agree due to numerous factors..

Luke Fickell hasn't been mentioned a ton on this board due to the obvious slim chances he would accept, but I sure hope we at least make a pass at him. Billy Napier clearly not a bad option as well. Kellen Moore would be fantastic. Lots of promise out there, I'm excited. Let's not sell our program short and aim for the fences on the next coach.
It was yesterday when we were pitted against Boise State and a left handed QB named Kellen Moore. BTW Moore already mention as a potential HC job in the NFL. They say Moore has a great football mind and the players really like him because of the age. As you know the NFL is going after the young coach's b/c they can communicate on the same level. I believe Moore's Dad was a v good high school coach.

Fiscuits

The Athletic has put on an article mentions that TCU is a top 20 Coaching job in the country... I wholeheartedly agree due to numerous factors..

TCU is 100% a top 20 job. The list of candidates who will not only be interested but actively politicking to JD for the job would be mind blowing if made public.

Top 10 market - Top 10 facilities - P5 Conference - #1 recruiting state - .....good grief.....

Yep, lots of factors.

I'm mainly responding to people saying Dykes would be a poor hire because of etc, etc, etc. I'm not saying he's a perfect candidate by any means, I don't love how his defense have played, BUT if you look at his overall resume and consider all factors, it is pretty impressive. And he's from Texas, presumably knows a bunch of HS coaches here, I think kids generally like playing for him, and there are rumors that this is the job he wants. Again, could be wrong and it could backfire miserably I guess, but I think it could be a great fit.

As for his "failure" at Cal, that's a place where coaches go to die, and him being there was a terrible fit in the first place.
FWIW, his four years at Cal went 1 win (down from 3 the year before under Tedford), 5, 8 (bowl), 5 then fired. Sagarin ratings went 118, 59, 32, 58. So steady improvement from a big low the first year then a step back and firing. Deserved to be fired, but not a catastrophic stop and looks like gave him some valuable P5 head coaching experience.