• The KillerFrogs

The Day After....

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
And all this, friends, is why the experts quit talking about "global warming" and started using the term "climate change".
I'm a helluva lot more concerned with another Maunder Minimum than a few degrees warmer. Warm we can handle: More rainfall and more growing area for agriculture. Cold is another thing entirely...

4 Oaks Frog

Don’t want
interesting that while we say we don't want to become california politically, texas is also becoming california in other aspects such as the neglect of vital services (i.e water or the power grid)
Don’t want to be Wisconsin, either, but it is feeling pretty close right now. Still no power. Hope the firewood holds out. Not looking good...

Last edited:

Eight

Don’t want

Don’t want to be Wisconsin, either, but it is feeling pretty close right now. Still on power. Hope the firewood holds our. Not looking good...

not simply a problem of power shortages due to the cold, but shortages in july and august

you simply can not have your population grow and electricity dependent industries open up and expand without maintaining and growing your grid and ensuring your ability to provide adequate resources such as electricity and water, but that would require politicians to show vision and leadership dealing with real issues instead of the [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ] politicians have rambled on the past few decades

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
interesting that while we say we don't want to become california politically, texas is also becoming california in other aspects such as the neglect of vital services (i.e water or the power grid)
"The Road To Hell Is Paved With Good Intentions."

Our Betters in the Political sphere have tried to follow the fashions of the left, and it has resulted in nothing other than failure. The incompetent fools that make up the ERCOT board have been appointed by (allegedly) Republican Governors. These entities continue to try to appease people who are literally deranged, and have no clue as to How Things Work, and Why Things Work. To these lefties, power comes from that outlet on the wall; They have no concept of grid design, generating capacity, baseload, etc. Armed with this profound ignorance, they demand more solar! More wind! And the blithering idiots in Austin give it to them.

What We the Consumer get out of it are rolling blackouts due to insufficient generating capacity, brought on by a reliance on unreliable sources of generation.

The sad fact of the matter is, Texas pretty much runs it's own grid. The folks in Austin continue to bow to the whims of D.C. when it comes to increasing capacity, and this must stop. As more people move into this State, it's up to Austin and ERCOT to provide more capacity. Demand will only increase, and we must have sturdy, reliable, scalable generating capacity and increased baseload capacity. The "renewable" energy they keep saddling us with is, at best, a sick joke: Unreliable, fragile, and fabulously expensive.

Not too far from Rancho Brewingfrog, there is a massive coal-fired generating station. It provides baseline power for much of the surrounding grid, extending up to Austin and San Antonio, and down the coastline towards Corpus.. Thanks to the Dear Leader, it is scheduled to be shut down in the coming years. (See: "Coal bad!") What we folks who depend on that capacity are supposed to do for power when that closes, we have no idea. Something will have to replace that capacity, and unicorn farts are not going to do it.

One would think that an episode such as this would serve as a wake-up call to the bureaucrats responsible. Being bureaucrats, it is exceedingly unlikely that anything will be done, save for the issuance of a blizzard of reports and addenda that show ERCOT did their jobs correctly, yessiree! Governor Abbott can't get his head out his ass on the Plague, so I have little faith that he will do anything about this either.

We live in interesting times...

netty2424

14 here at Rancho Brewingfrog. Poor cows...

Addendum: When we moved here permanently, I had a whole-home generator installed. We had one back at The Barn, and it came in very, very handy more than a few times. Now, with the uncertainty in the grid, it has proven a useful tool indeed. Three times during the night, there were outages of an hour or more. Each time, our trusty generator sprang into action and kept things moving.

While we have a propane furnace in the house, the igniters and pumps all work off electricity. Thus, power is still necessary for heat.

The Generator gets a big smooch from Mrs. Brewingfrog. As soon as it warms up enough, that is...
I’ve been busting ponds this morning for mine.

Double D

Tier 1
4th outage of the day since 1am. This one 90+ minutes and counting. ERCOT got caught with their pants down. This is freaking ridiculous!! Go Frogs!
IMG_20210215_113443_01.jpg