• The KillerFrogs

The Day After....

4th. down

After 20 hours we finally just got power back. I hope they let it stay on for at least a couple hours to re-warm the house bones

My house is 47 degrees inside

Same here in Houston.......without power for 24 hours, now at 16 degrees. Pool pump froze, but at least the power came back.

flyfishingfrog

where have you read this?

all the refineries in the Texas gulf coast shut down, so your gasoline will be more expensive this week vs. last.

“winterize” is certainly already done within reason. No sane company pays overkill to protect against conditions that haven’t historically happened...you’re in Texas not Siberia or Alaska.

if the refineries are shutting down in the gulf, that’s a sign this is a significant weather event beyond normal planning. Those guys lose a ton of money by shutting down.
The difference being paying $5 a gallon for gas doesn’t result in people dying

going 48 hours without power in sub freezing temps will

Power generation companies in Texas are going to get sued - they may not lose, but they will get sued

and I bet we start hearing discussions about reverting back from pure Dereg power after this because it is a freaking disaster at the moment and getting worse not better

Moose Stuff

And how often does that happen? Best I can tell about the only time it's ever happened is when it's "cool" here but when Alaska is in the middle of a relative heat wave. Records that are more than 100 years old are being broken right now, what we are seeing is arguably unprecedented since they began tracking weather.

Read an article where a guy said “It’s starting to get very cold inside my house. I lived in the north for a very long time and nothing like this has ever happened when I lived in New York, Ohio and Illinois.” Well, no [ #2020 ], sherlock. They deal with cold snaps of weather literally every year in those states, in many years multiple times. And they plan accordingly. That'd be like someone in Alaska being surprised if their house that had no A/C got warm if they had a week of 95 degree weather.

This sucks, but it sucks because nobody could see this coming.

This is where I'm at s well.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Amazing. From the Red River to the Gulf.

IVXMGO2H5FBXXMGHOQDCVM6SII.jpg

Galveston.com City of Galveston beach pic (City of Galveston)

Paul in uhh

Insane.

Where are you located again?
Southwest FW across from Hulen Walmart/Aldi.

the neighborhood on the north side of south drive but south of 20 has power, but my little pocket on the south side of south drive does not. About 500 homes.

Wedgewood east of Granbury has power as far as I know.

still can’t get through to oncor.

43 degrees in the house this morning so pipes are still good thank God.

flyfishingfrog

This is where I'm at s well.
guessing you don't have infants in your home or elderly or anyone that requires power for medical care or live in a house that is old enough to have frozen solid and once it thaws - will have thousands of dollars in damage not covered by insurance because of "natural disaster" clauses or the 1% deductible....

as a healthy adult - dealing with this is not really a big deal - its a winter hunting trip just with a roof basically.

But there are a large portion of our population that healthy and adult don't apply to - and when the state of Texas decided to allow companies to put profit over assurance of delivery for a foundation of survival in our country - we kind of lost the one thing government is supposed to do.

And last week on a "toll road" in ft worth - we saw another demonstration of why the government needs to spend time ensuring our common infrastructure is safe and effective and spend less time selling it off to private companies, finding ways to remove my freedoms and legislating how we should live

TCURiggs

Southwest FW across from Hulen Walmart/Aldi.

the neighborhood on the north side of south drive but south of 20 has power, but my little pocket on the south side of south drive does not. About 500 homes.

Wedgewood east of Granbury has power as far as I know.

still can’t get through to oncor.

43 degrees in the house this morning so pipes are still good thank God.

That's wild that a lot of us are that close to you and haven't lost power at all. Sucks, man. Hang in there.

From wfaa, the Texas tribune had an article on it, the Austin American statesman had an article on it and all said the same thing.

And Texas is indeed colder than parts of Alaska right now, huh, how about that. It goes to what was mentioned, they don’t want to pay for it and while normally they can get away with it because as you say, this is Texas and not Siberia, when it does happen in the midst of an extremely cold winter event, this is what happens and people are put in dangerous situations.

All three of those have a common agenda. While truths and facts are sprinkled about there is an ultimate political agenda. It's no different than Fox last night pushing green energy as the sole reason. As with nearly everything, the truth lies in the middle.

Moose Stuff

guessing you don't have infants in your home or elderly or anyone that requires power for medical care or live in a house that is old enough to have frozen solid and once it thaws - will have thousands of dollars in damage not covered by insurance because of "natural disaster" clauses or the 1% deductible....

as a healthy adult - dealing with this is not really a big deal - its a winter hunting trip just with a roof basically.

But there are a large portion of our population that healthy and adult don't apply to - and when the state of Texas decided to allow companies to put profit over assurance of delivery for a foundation of survival in our country - we kind of lost the one thing government is supposed to do.

And last week on a "toll road" in ft worth - we saw another demonstration of why the government needs to spend time ensuring our common infrastructure is safe and effective and spend less time selling it off to private companies, finding ways to remove my freedoms and legislating how we should live

You wanna blame someone for this that's fine with me.

East Coast

Tier 1
Seriously, half the problem is that the power companies didn't invest to mitigate a once in 30 year event. I'm not saying they should have, but they better be reevaluating after this. The other half is the Texas has courted new business and grown, but has not invested properly in the power and water infrastructure to keep up with it. This makes Texas exactly the same as most other states and our federal government.

HToady

They problem is there are too many people, and infrastructure can't keep up. Anywhere.
If I were President, I would change the dependent tax deduction to a charge.....