• The KillerFrogs

The Day After....

Wexahu

This surely won't be a popular opinion but this is an almost unprecedented event. Lots of finger pointing, blaming, and politicizing of this (that part is not surprising at all) which is unfortunate. The last time we had something similar like this was roughly 11,300 days ago,. and even then I'm not sure it had the staying power this seems to have. Heard a meteorologist on the radio today say that things like this are so rare it doesn't make much sense to "plan" for it, per se. I guess we could all have our homes insulated and constructed as if we were in Nebraska, and build our power grids likewise, but that would be kind of stupid from a cost/benefit analysis. Imagine what people did a hundred years ago.

[ Finebaum ] happens, and yes, this sucks for sure. But it will be over in a few days. And might not happen again in our lifetimes.

Eight

This surely won't be a popular opinion but this is an almost unprecedented event. Lots of finger pointing, blaming, and politicizing of this (that part is not surprising at all) which is unfortunate. The last time we had something similar like this was roughly 11,300 days ago,. and even then I'm not sure it had the staying power this seems to have. Heard a meteorologist on the radio today say that things like this are so rare it doesn't make much sense to "plan" for it, per se. I guess we could all have our homes insulated and constructed as if we were in Nebraska, and build our power grids likewise, but that would be kind of stupid from a cost/benefit analysis. Imagine what people did a hundred years ago.

[ #2020 ] happens, and yes, this sucks for sure. But it will be over in a few days. And might not happen again in our lifetimes.

the only problem is that we had grid issues last summer and while we don't get to single digits over much of the state often triple digits each summer over much of the state is a lock

Pharm Frog

There’s gonna be some lawsuits coming somebody’s way after all this I would imagine. Doubt they do any good but I don’t doubt someone will sue.

There’s at least two attorneys right here in my neighborhood that say they are preparing to sue. Something about Oncor failing to prepare to roll outages in certain areas. Say they have multiple “notes” from energy companies from midweek through Sunday AM. I have no idea how long it takes to “prepare” for such things.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1

[ #2020 ] happens, and yes, this sucks for sure. But it will be over in a few days. And might not happen again in our lifetimes.

But some lawyer won’t let that stand in the way of a potential pay day.

namollec

Power went out at 7:30 AM.
Used the fireplace as long as I could.
Left the house around 4PM. Friends have an open door!
Checked in - no power at home until Tuesday, probably.

35 years in MN and I never had to leave the home. Now?

AroundWorldFrog

Damn...I feel for all of you. I woke up to 2 degree temperatures this morning and no water...our wells froze. We have electricity, but people all over town are without it. Like most of you, we got about 5 inches of snow here in the Permian Basin. Fortunately, I’ve got a good fire going in the fireplace, and plenty of wood. Hopefully we’ll be past this in a day or two.
The Permian Basin has water?

Born in Odessa.

AroundWorldFrog

Joking aside, man, the situation sucks. We lost our furnace blower motor for about 13 hours in Cody and the temp went from 69 to 51 degrees by morning and we were lucky to get a company out to replace the motor. Hope everyone gets their power back quickly and survives this okay. Those temperatures are dangerous. And take snacks and water and extra clothes if you're driving very far.

Chongo94

So what could/should have been done?

From what I’ve read, the first and foremost thing would have been to winterize the equipment at those plants that froze. Apparently Texas doesn’t mandate that unlike many states so naturally, because it would cost money, they didn’t do it and here we are.

Moreover, it would seem as if they could have prepared and run outcomes on what might happen should something like that happen and plan how to combat that. HEB, a frigging grocery store of all things, already does this. They plan out and test certain disasters In order to test their preparedness and response ability. The fact that our own electric grid doesn’t seem to know to do this is quite eye-opening.