• The KillerFrogs

Texas Christian University to nix the word 'freshmen' in push for 'inclusive excellence'

tcufrogprince1

What a joke. This is truly pathetic.

Texas Christian University has announced that it will no longer use the term "freshmen" in an effort to be more inclusive.

Instead, the school will refer to students in college for the first time as "first-year" students. The term will also apply to students with fewer than 24 credit hours, regardless of how long they have been enrolled in school.

TCU's Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs called the change "a reflection of our university-wide commitment to inclusive excellence."

https://www.campusreform.org/articl...mNXcsCYKaR07_BGwaErfZ8gdFllIKZ2LJDRpHZDesrjUQ

SMOKEY IV

Here’s the brain trust that determined that somehow the word Freshmen was offensive or non inclusive. I think the term mascot is non inclusive, I bet they feel less than part of the team. Let’s call them players also! We could do this BS all day with words. There’s a generation out there that needs to suck it up! https://www.tcu.edu/datagovernance/about.php

Pharm Frog

PC run amok.

If they want inclusive excellence, the they should lower tuition. The cost to go to TCU is excluding >90% of the population.

How does any of this match the first eight words of the admissions process: The undergraduate admission process at TCU is selective, but personal and holistic. Is "selective" inclusive? Wouldn't "inclusive" imply "inclusive" for everyone? A simple word search shows some of the most common antonyms for "inclusive" are "exclusive" and "selective". But maybe the real stuff happens after the "but" in that sentence. If so, who is deciding what characteristics are deserving of entrance into this "inclusive" world of Leading On? And wouldn't that be "exclusive" by the very standards they wish to apply equally or unequally?

Saw new regimes HHS secretary testifying in congress yesterday trying to define their new official term "birthing person" without using the word they replaced -- "mother".
We have lost our damn minds. But sometimes i think they do these silly things to draw attention away from more nefarious activities as we drift ever closer to living in a full on Orwellian society.

tyler durden

Tyler Durden
If you're concerned about the cost of making editorial changes for this, consider this:

For several years after I relocated to OK, TCU asked me to be an Alumni representative at the College Night events at various high schools in the Tulsa area. Prior to each event, the Admissions Office would send me a box full of handouts and fact sheets to give to every prospective student (and their parents), some cheap giveaway items, and the official TCU tablecloth for the display.

Each time I received a box of materials, I would review every handout and fact sheet. The number of typos and inconsistent information was mind-boggling. For example, if there were three different documents that discussed faculty-student ratio, there would be up to three different numbers. Typos ranged from gross keyboard finger-fumbling to the good old autocorrect substitutions (the kf.c favorite excuse).

So, I would take out a red pen, and go through every piece of paper, line-by-line, word-by-word, number-by number and highlight all the errors. Then, I'd mail a copy of my corrections to the Dean of Admissions.

Some times the errors were fixed in the next batch of materials, most times not.

All this to say, TCU already spends a good amount of time and money making changes/corrections to everything it prints.
Clearly no one taught by the fearsome Dr. Doug Newsome were involved in the publication. She would have had her ruler out and rapping some knuckles.

Last edited:

tyler durden

Tyler Durden
I’m not sure I’m understanding the vitriol. Are we upset because there is some great tradition around the word freshman that I’m not remembering, or are we just offended that someone else is offended by it?

When I was a senior in high school, they changed our mascot from Rebels to Raiders, complete with prying up the Confederate flag painted on the basketball court. The old mascot didn’t necessarily offend me personally, but I completely understood and was sympathetic with the people who were deeply offended by it. The Rebel mascot meant nothing to me; when I was cheering for the Rebels, I was cheering for friends and classmates on the playing field. Are people deeply offended by the word freshman? It means nothing to me. Change it, don’t change it, whatevs.

P.S. I totally think freshman should either be filtered on here, or become one, i.e. first year is filtered for freshman or vice-versa (ya know, just to stir the pot).

Paul in uhh

I for one find Junior an oppressive and regressive term (I was born special and a junior to nobody). Also chancellor (reminds me of hitler, the chancellor of the third reich). Also “trustee” as it reminds me of the prison system (trigger warning!). Also our founder’s first name, Tom (it clearly and blatantly harkens back to slavery days and specifically “Uncle Tom’s Cabin”). Also our other founders last name, Wright, reminds me of the hateful right-wing so it must NEVER be mentioned!!1 Also I motion to remove “horned” from our mascot (it infers violence!!). Also I strongly believe the word “Christian” is exclusivist and brutally offensive and we should demand a full rebranding!!!!

Last edited:

WIN

I’m not sure I’m understanding the vitriol. Are we upset because there is some great tradition around the word freshman that I’m not remembering, or are we just offended that someone else is offended by it?

When I was a senior in high school, they changed our mascot from Rebels to Raiders, complete with prying up the Confederate flag painted on the basketball court. The old mascot didn’t necessarily offend me personally, but I completely understood and was sympathetic with the people who were deeply offended by it. The Rebel mascot meant nothing to me; when I was cheering for the Rebels, I was cheering for friends and classmates on the playing field. Are people deeply offended by the word freshman? It means nothing to me. Change it, don’t change it, whatevs.

P.S. I totally think freshman should either be filtered on here, or become one, i.e. first year is filtered for freshman or vice-versa (ya know, just to stir the pot).

Graduated a Southwest Rebel in late 70's. What a diverse and inclusive climate it was then and I miss the love we had for each other.

Froginbedford

I for one find Junior an oppressive and regressive term (I was born special and a junior to nobody). Also chancellor (reminds me of hitler, the chancellor of the third reich). Also “trustee” as it reminds me of the prison system (trigger warning!). Also our founder’s first name, Tom (it clearly and blatantly harkens back to slavery days and specifically “Uncle Tom’s Cabin”). Also our other founders last name, Wright, reminds me of the hateful right-wing so it must NEVER be mentioned!!1 Also I motion to remove “horned” from our mascot (it infers violence!!). Also I strongly believe the word “Christian” is exclusivist and brutally offensive and we should demand a full rebranding!!!!

"Texas" in its current iteration was created by slave-owning, or slavery-sympathetic, English-speaking white men who seized land which had always been governed by Spanish-speaking peoples (Spain first, then Mexico)....Mexico's constitution forbade slavery....Austin, Houston,Travis, Lamar, Crockett, etc., waged an ethnic war against the legal government of Mexico and their names must be removed from all monuments, buildings, streets, and municipal identification....Agree with the above post.... A total rebranding for the school should result in the elimination of "Texas" and "Christian" from the name of the university...don't even suggest Fort Worth since that's militaristic.... s/meter is on....

Paul in uhh

"Texas" in its current iteration was created by slave-owning, or slavery-sympathetic, English-speaking white men who seized land which had always been governed by Spanish-speaking peoples (Spain first, then Mexico)....Mexico's constitution forbade slavery....Austin, Houston,Travis, Lamar, Crockett, etc., waged an ethnic war against the legal government of Mexico and their names must be removed from all monuments, buildings, streets, and municipal identification....Agree with the above post.... A total rebranding for the school should result in the elimination of "Texas" and "Christian" from the name of the university...don't even suggest Fort Worth since that's militaristic.... s/meter is on....
Hugville Inclusive University it is then

Brog

Hugville Inclusive University it is then

How about "Dallas Area Inclusive U
Saw new regimes HHS secretary testifying in congress yesterday trying to define their new official term "birthing person" without using the word they replaced -- "mother".
We have lost our damn minds. But sometimes i think they do these silly things to draw attention away from more nefarious activities as we drift ever closer to living in a full on Orwellian society.

Doesn't half of the word "person" have the masculine "son" in it? How is that permitted?