• The KillerFrogs

Terrence Durham Signs with TCU

ricksterh

How about you, ricksherh?

I watched you fill it up lots of times when we were both at TCU.

I'll bet you'd make a great shooting coach!

Go Frogs!

DJ, thanks for the kind words. When I was at TCU I was a walkon and I tell people that I was short but I made up for it by being slow. I also wasn't a very good shooter partly because I didn't see too well. James Cash and I were good friends and used to shoot pool in Mr Findly's pool hall. We hardly ever made a ball and had some of the longest pool games in the history of the game.

My game was pass, pick and play defense and in my case that had to be all over the floor because at my height if they got me inside I was toast. I never got in a varsity game. I was a practice player who helped run the scout teams for the varsity and then helped as another body to fill out the freshman pratices. For some reason the coaches liked me because I guess I contributed to helping the team to get better and win games.

My senior year we won the SWC and went to the Final 8 in the NCAA which is the farthest any TCU team has gone. We had some great people who were good players who went on to be very successful and I was proud to be a part of that. I think I could tell players how to shoot even though I didn't do it very well myself. Thanks again for the kind words and I'm excited about what Coach C is building and doing it right at TCU. :biggrin:

FrogAbroad

FrogDJ, you took the suggestion right out of my head!

Rick, I remember you from our common years at TCU and I'd categorize you as a catalyst. Your presence caused things to happen, it brought other players together to "gel" into a team, whatever the heck gelling is. Maybe you never played in a varsity game but your influence was on the court every time there was a practice or a game. Since you weren't a 7-foot natural born NBA-bound player you had to work harder and love the game more to keep at it. I highly suspect those are traits you carried along post-TCU and still evident today in whatever pursuits you undertake.

Yeah, it might be a little late to start another career as a D-1 assistant coach, but I hope you're involved somewhere passing along to others some of the good stuff you've picked up along the way.

It's not always required to be a star to have a positive influence on those who are stars. Don't sell yourself short, amigo.

Army Frog Fan

The loudest sporting event I have ever attended was the Nebraska NIT game and the place was rocking. It will happen again, soon.

Was that the year they moved the 2nd or third round game to play ND at ND, because TCU was on spring break? :angry:

96ish?

ricksterh

Thanks for the kind words Frog Abroad. I too remember you from those days some playing ball and then helping Elmer?

I am still innvolved down here in the RGV helping students learn a trade (electricians) and helping get scholarships for students to help further their education and move ahead. To me that is part of being a TCU alum is all about by helping people in the community. That is what being a Frog is. Thanks for the kind words and all the best back your way amigo! :biggrin:

FrogDJ, you took the suggestion right out of my head!

Rick, I remember you from our common years at TCU and I'd categorize you as a catalyst. Your presence caused things to happen, it brought other players together to "gel" into a team, whatever the heck gelling is. Maybe you never played in a varsity game but your influence was on the court every time there was a practice or a game. Since you weren't a 7-foot natural born NBA-bound player you had to work harder and love the game more to keep at it. I highly suspect those are traits you carried along post-TCU and still evident today in whatever pursuits you undertake.

Yeah, it might be a little late to start another career as a D-1 assistant coach, but I hope you're involved somewhere passing along to others some of the good stuff you've picked up along the way.

It's not always required to be a star to have a positive influence on those who are stars. Don't sell yourself short, amigo.

sandiegojack

With all the players coming and going (hard to keep track), do we have anyone that is a consistent 3 point shooter? That is such a makeable shot for a good shooter, I don't think you can win consistently without a couple quality outside shooters.

sdj

sandiegojack

Strengths:
Durham is a strong and tough wing that plays with great pace and in attack mode. Durham can get the rim on the break and from the wing in the half court set. He can beat defenders off the bounce with his crossover and good burst of speed and is strong enough to score through contact in which he welcomes.

Weaknesses:
Durham will need to improve his perimeter jumper and extend his range to where it is considered consistent. He also must use his strong body to be a better rebounder and not gamble so much on defense which causes his to get into foul trouble at times. Durham must work for game in and game out consistency.

Bottom Line:
Durham is a strong rim attacker that can finish through contact. He competes and can get it going scoring wise at times. He must continue to build his game starting with perimeter shooting but you have to love the way he approaches the game and looks to make plays with the ball in his hands

asleep003

Not to throw water on this thread... Terrence does seem athletic enough,but ...
5 assists average for a point guard.?.
Did you guys really have a look at that middle school looking
opponent on his video.
Don't think he would be attempting an across the court bouncing
pass, behind the back, unless they were playing real goofuses.
Though, still a possible improvement over the past.

With all the players coming and going (hard to keep track), do we have anyone that is a consistent 3 point shooter? That is such a makeable shot for a good shooter, I don't think you can win consistently without a couple quality outside shooters.

sdj

Garlon Green developed a nice three point shot last year, but in my view he is our only consistent 3 point threat right now. I'm hoping that Fields and some of the new guys can step it up in this department, though Christian seems to be building a physical slashing team that will attack the rim more than setting up outside shots.

opponent on his video.

Well, not to throw water on your post, but their is nothing wrong with 6 assists a game for a PG (which is what he averaged, not 5), and he is more of a combo guard anyway from what I understand. The highlights we have are limited to one game, wish there was more video, but this was all I could find of Terrence. Still, that is a lot of nice passes and drives for one game no matter who the opponent is. Terrence was considered good enough for some good offers, had the same rating as Ryan Rhoomes by both Espn and Rivals and was our best option.

The two spot is going to be interesting next year.

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
opponent on his video.

That video was an summer AAU league in Memphis before he went to Brehm. If you are not familiar with Brehm, it is a school that specializes in asisting students with learning disabilities before they enter into college. It is a wonderfull school and very expensive, however a few years ago they decided to award scholarships to athletes with learning disabilities. They run a discipled program in terms of both athletics and academics. It is not flow-through, get your credits without doing coursework type school.

The program took off and is just a step below a Findley Prep or Oak hill type program. The 5 starters last year all signed Div1 including Kris Brewer who was their star PG who singed with Kent St (sound familiar).

Terrence sounds like a great kid all-around and the year at Brehm I am sure heped prepare him on and off the court for the next level.

ricksterh

Ray was a prolific scorer in hs. Not sure how that equates to outside shooting but I would like to see him come along and develop somewhat like Green came along last year. Guardian, do the Frogs still need another assistant since two left and I only know of one new assistant? Also you said recruiting is done but does the team have another slot if they right guy pops up? :unsure:

Well, not to throw water on your post, but their is nothing wrong with 6 assists a game for a PG (which is what he averaged, not 5), and he is more of a combo guard anyway from what I understand. The highlights we have are limited to one game, wish there was more video, but this was all I could find of Terrence. Still, that is a lot of nice passes and drives for one game no matter who the opponent is. Terrence was considered good enough for some good offers, had the same rating as Ryan Rhoomes by both Espn and Rivals and was our best option.

Ray was a prolific scorer in hs. Not sure how that equates to outside shooting but I would like to see him come along and develop somewhat like Green came along last year. Guardian, do the Frogs still need another assistant since two left and I only know of one new assistant? Also you said recruiting is done but does the team have another slot if they right guy pops up? :unsure:

I am very much hope for a Green like surge in productivity from Ray, he just needs to be a little more sure of himself out there and find his role in our offense.

Feisty could be right about us having another ship, though I thought I had heard we were done with things after Terrence. You normally have 13 to give but I'm unsure if we had all.13 to give this year due to graduation rate issues. There had been some mention of us being after another big man a while back, but I couldn't find anything about it. We do need another serviceable center.

sandiegojack

Let's see how things work out before we start counting noses. It seems these juco and prep school kids could be grade risks. And it is well documented about the attrition rate under JC. If there are 12 on the roster now, what are the chances that all 12 get enrolled and all last the entire season.

sdj

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
Let's see how things work out before we start counting noses. It seems these juco and prep school kids could be grade risks. And it is well documented about the attrition rate under JC. If there are 12 on the roster now, what are the chances that all 12 get enrolled and all last the entire season.

sdj

On Terrence there was some questions however I believe he is fully qualified and should be in school this week. Don't think there were problems with the others.

Keeping them qualified is another matter.

BTW exactly one month until football camp opens for the Frogs.

asleep003

Water is welcomed... it is hotter than we're use to on the West Coast.
So, I got the 6 assists and 5 rebounds backasswards.

You're telling me that 6 assists, in that league, translates to a point
guard we need for the BE play.

Plus the link didn't say he had those offers... they said, he said, those
three Schools made those offers... Hope he pans out!

Cheers!

ricksterh

I am very much hope for a Green like surge in productivity from Ray, he just needs to be a little more sure of himself out there and find his role in our offense.

Feisty could be right about us having another ship, though I thought I had heard we were done with things after Terrence. You normally have 13 to give but I'm unsure if we had all.13 to give this year due to graduation rate issues. There had been some mention of us being after another big man a while back, but I couldn't find anything about it. We do need another serviceable center.

I believe Kone is still on the roster? Although he hasn't done a lot yet if coach kept him for next year he must feel like he can contribute both in practice and with some pt. With his size he could be another serviceable big man for the Frogs next year? imo if they didn't think he could contribute they wouldn't have kept him around? We will see... :unsure: