• The KillerFrogs

TCU Women's Softball Team

Froglaw

Just got a ticket email from Baylor. Pushing women's softball season tickets as well as men's baseball.

Is it time for TCU to look into women's softball?

I know it is expensive to start this type of program. But formation of a women's softball team might give TCU enough women's scholarships to reform the TCU men's soccer team as well.

Both sports are well supported in the Big 12.

I personally think it is time to consider adding both programs to TCU.

cdsfrog

No reasonable excuse not to have softball. Every single current member has a team except 1 team.

Lots of great recruits in the area.

NativeFrog

It would be futile for TCU to start a women's softball team. The school is so far behind other schools, especially Big 12 schools, in this sport that it would take years, if not decades, for TCU to be competitive. Let's get our football and men's and women's basketball teams, men's and women's swimming and diving teams, baseball team and volleyball team to a consistently competitive point in the Big 12 before we add sports. The Big 12 has several nationally ranked girls' softball teams, including Baylor, which advanced to the Softball College World Series last year.

Just got a ticket email from Baylor. Pushing women's softball season tickets as well as men's baseball.

Is it time for TCU to look into women's softball?

I know it is expensive to start this type of program. But formation of a women's softball team might give TCU enough women's scholarships to reform the TCU men's soccer team as well.

Both sports are well supported in the Big 12.

I personally think it is time to consider adding both programs to TCU.

The Big XII doesn't offer men's soccer: http://en.wikipedia..../College_soccer

froginaustin

Anyone know how many schollies B12 softball teams offer?

I would guess they're partials, like baseball.

Figure ~$7mm for facilities (assuming TCU already owns the land that would be necessary), and the capital costs of staff salaries and other expenses plus capital costs for schollies,

and an endowment gift of maybe $30mm would get the ball rolling? No?

The men's soccer side wouldn't be quite as expensive, although they would need a building and maybe a practice field (why wouldn't the womens' field work for the men, too, for games) in addition to staff/schollies.

Opintel

Moderators
It would be futile for TCU to start a women's softball team. The school is so far behind other schools, especially Big 12 schools, in this sport that it would take years, if not decades, for TCU to be competitive. Let's get our football and men's and women's basketball teams, men's and women's swimming and diving teams, baseball team and volleyball team to a consistently competitive point in the Big 12 before we add sports. The Big 12 has several nationally ranked girls' softball teams, including Baylor, which advanced to the Softball College World Series last year.
OK - I'll bite.

Horse Hockey! :tongue:

Tons of talent in the FW/D area, they'd be good almost immediately, and fight'n for conference titles in five years. You bet'cha! :biggrin:

Anyone have any money?

worthag03

If you want a women's Softball team you're going to have to be willing to take money away from football. No women's sport makes money at any school save Tennessee. As one poster said, that's money better spent on men's and women's basketball.

froginaustin

If you want a women's Softball team you're going to have to be willing to take money away from football. No women's sport makes money at any school save Tennessee. As one poster said, that's money better spent on men's and women's basketball.

I think Del Conte made it pretty clear that people will be asked for money, for basketball facilities first and olympic-country club sports second. Maybe even 1-A and 1-B.

That being said, having philanthropists offer funding for programs that are not necessarily top priority for TCU brass has happened before. I have the idea that at least some of TCU's baseball facilities are on the ground (before a then-top priority "olympic village" that's still not on the ground) for that very reason.

So-- sort of like a surprise pregnancy-- a new varsity sport at TCU is not planned for, but that doesn't mean it's impossible.

Wog68

I think one of the big issues is where is the space to build a softball stadium?

I don't believe we have an equestrian center on campus either. I'm sure facilities could be found as an interim basis until a field could be developed on campus.