• The KillerFrogs

TCU vs Wisconsin: Rose Bowl

DougW

One common game TCU has with Wisconsin is UNLV. TCU crushed UNLV by 42 points, Wisconsin beat UNLV by 20.

TCU vs. UNLV - TCU won 48-6
Wisconsin vs. UNLV - Wisconsin won 41-21

Okay, sure. Want to look a little deeper at the game. Wisconsin outgained UNLV 279-12 in the first half, including 138 to minus-9 on the ground. Half time score was 17-14 thanks to our WR fumbling at the UNLV two yard line which was returned 80 some yards and led to a UNLV score. A second turnover led to the other UNLV score. Badgers reel off 24 unanswered in the 3rd quarter and call off the dogs in the 4th quarter. Total yards -- UW -- 475; TCU -- 217. In your game the yards were 530 to 197.

I take it no one from TCU wants to make the claim that Stanford is better than TCU simply because they wiped out Oregon State by more points.

Doug W

SavannahBadger

like Doug said, stop the run and force us to pass could be a good way to win, but Tolzien isn't a slouch - he's got a higher efficiency rating than Dalton (#4 in the country) and is THE single most accurate passer in the country (#1 at 74.3% completion percentage). he certainly can (with a wizard of an OC calling plays) direct us to victory in the air, spreading out passes to up to 10 different "receivers" (WR, TE, FB, & RB all can catch well). the Iowa game was an example where we were passing primarily on several drives, only to switch to pounding the rock once we hit th red zone (converting there at an 80% touchdown rate).

i know it's not set in stone yet, but looking forward to the announcement show next Sunday when it's likely official. should be one hell of a game against you guys, quite possibly the highest rated non-championship Rose Bowl since Texas-Michigan.

Slomo37

Welcome Badgers! It is nice to see some good information being shared/discussed rather than the same old AQ vs. non-AQ conference smack talk. Forgive some of our fans for what I call the "Boise (ehh, I get no respect...) Syndrome". A good friend and a few acquaintances of mine are Badger fans, and along with the posters so far, are all class acts. So take note TCU fans.

After seeing a few of UW games it is clear that your run game will be tough to stop and from the few games I have seen Tolzien can step up when needed. The key to a good run game is a good offensive line, so I can easily buy into what y'all are saying about the OL quality. Also, you guys definitely have momentum in your favor, winning impressively the past few games while TCU seems to be slacking off a bit (just got to watch our UNM game on DVR, not impressive considering the quality of competition). Hopefully that can be cured over the next month.

One of you seemed to imply that the Badgers might have a problem with a spread offense? Care to elaborate, as that is the offensive scheme TCU runs?

TCU is a run first team much like Wisconsin, so the key to beating us apparently is to put in a new defensive scheme and totally bewilder our OCs (Fiesta Bowl) so they abandon the run entirely or just flat out stuff it, assuming we try more than a dozen attempts. Dalton is as much a threat to run as the backs, not necessary quick but he makes good decisions. The TCU OL has a share of NFL quality talent, I'm just not sure how it matches up with UW's D. TCU's defense is all about speed, we may be a bit undersized in some areas but the idea is that speed and swarming to the ball makes up for it. TCU has a reputation for fielding an excellent run defense, but I fully expect the Badgers to test it. I expect a great game between these two teams.

maximilian

Wisconsin fans so far seem great. If you do end up playing the Frogs, I hope to share a beer or 7 with some of you out in Pasadena.

Should be a great day of football.

One note, Badger fans: you have Clay/Ball/White who are all great backs (Clay is one of my favorite non-TCU guys to watch; bad bad dude) but do not sleep on a TCU stable of backs that is just as deep. Remember the names Ed Wesley, Matthew Tucker and Waymon James.

shetownbucky

Welcome Badgers! It is nice to see some good information being shared/discussed rather than the same old AQ vs. non-AQ conference smack talk. Forgive some of our fans for what I call the "Boise (ehh, I get no respect...) Syndrome". A good friend and a few acquaintances of mine are Badger fans, and along with the posters so far, are all class acts. So take note TCU fans.

After seeing a few of UW games it is clear that your run game will be tough to stop and from the few games I have seen Tolzien can step up when needed. The key to a good run game is a good offensive line, so I can easily buy into what y'all are saying about the OL quality. Also, you guys definitely have momentum in your favor, winning impressively the past few games while TCU seems to be slacking off a bit (just got to watch our UNM game on DVR, not impressive considering the quality of competition). Hopefully that can be cured over the next month.

One of you seemed to imply that the Badgers might have a problem with a spread offense? Care to elaborate, as that is the offensive scheme TCU runs?

TCU is a run first team much like Wisconsin, so the key to beating us apparently is to put in a new defensive scheme and totally bewilder our OCs (Fiesta Bowl) so they abandon the run entirely or just flat out stuff it, assuming we try more than a dozen attempts. Dalton is as much a threat to run as the backs, not necessary quick but he makes good decisions. The TCU OL has a share of NFL quality talent, I'm just not sure how it matches up with UW's D. TCU's defense is all about speed, we may be a bit undersized in some areas but the idea is that speed and swarming to the ball makes up for it. TCU has a reputation for fielding an excellent run defense, but I fully expect the Badgers to test it. I expect a great game between these two teams.

Don't worry about the "Boise Syndrome". You guys are nothing compared to some Xavier fans that blew up for about 10 pages worth of bickering a few years ago when I harmlessly said they were a "great [Deleted] team with success rivaling Gonzaga's" before a basketball game against them in the NCAA tournament. Sorry that you play in the A10 and win 25 games a year? It's not like it was a subtle shot at them, they were a top 15 team and we were unranked.

The problems our defense has with spread offenses is that our secondary is the weakness of the team. They are good in run support but pretty average in pass defense. Our stud DE J.J. Watt single-handedly hides that deficiency rather well sometimes, but we are a "bend but not break" defense against a spread. Our defense plays a lot of cover 2 zone against the pass and tries to keep everything in front of them, so the corners normally play the receivers about 7 yards off the line of scrimmage. Naturally, this opens up a dink-and-dunk passing game to shred us until they get into redzone if we can't get pressure up front. But even with a spread option we have some issues due to our base defense being a 4-3 instead of a 3-4, 3-3-5, or 4-2-5 (thus having slower guys on the field than we could have). For example, Michigan's spread option netted 4.7 yards a carry against us. They are really the only team that we've faced this season that runs out of the spread, albeit a great one at it. Now only if Michigan could figure out how to play defense they might win a few games against good teams.

shetownbucky

but do not sleep on a TCU stable of backs that is just as deep. Remember the names Ed Wesley, Matthew Tucker and Waymon James.

But are these three guys 201 perfectly-distributed yards and 3 perfectly-distributed TDs away from having 1,000-yard, 15-TD seasons like Clay, Ball, and White? :biggrin:

Opintel

Moderators
Like my dear Dad (RIP) always said - Football is 70% mental. Take two teams, even close to being even on talent, and the team with the best prep (concentration) and attitude will win.

Do you have a coaching staff that can get the players ready? If you do, I like your chances.

We will hear from our own "Coach" here on KFC after the announcement of bowl destinations, won't we? :biggrin:

maximilian

But are these three guys 201 perfectly-distributed yards and 3 perfectly-distributed TDs away from having 1,000-yard, 15-TD seasons like Clay, Ball, and White? :biggrin:

Only thousand yard back on the team is Wesley, but like I said, don't sleep on them. They've only recently split more carries with Tucker and James, so it's looking like 700 yards for Tucker and 500 for James.