• The KillerFrogs

TCU vs Wisconsin: Rose Bowl

roddog

Banned
Using Sagrin predictor, TCU by 8 over Wisc. He says to give the home team a 3 point add, but the RB is a neutral field. If you considered RB home field for Wisc. based on crowd size, Wisc is larger school probably more fans in the stands, then it would Wisc +5.

wisky travels very well when its a warm climate, anything to get out of that cold weather!

puckster59

My guess is it opens at Wisconsin -3.5. Wise guys knock it down to 3 or 2.5 almost immediately. Betting public will play Wisconsin heavily, though, as the game approaches.

freddy4play

Wisconsin fan here. Don't take anything here as a slight as it is not meant to be. I don't know anything about your team as I haven't watched them enough so I wont pretend to. Just looking forward to the match up. I think it is great that TCU will get the chance to prove they are as good as the polls say. TCU will definitely get the chance playing UW. I am a big college football fan and of course a big UW fan but I try not to let it sway my opinion. With that said, I will give you my opinion on UW.

I think they match up with the best running teams in college football the last 3-4 years. They have a sure fire 1st round LT (Carimi) who is the type of LT you could see playing in the NFL for 10-12 years and going to a Pro bowl or two. Think Joe Thomas like (but not quite as good) Their guard on the left side (Moffitt) should also get drafted high, even though guards generally don't go that high. Probably 2-3rd rounder. The rest of the line is very solid with a couple 3-6 round NFL draft picks. Wisconsin linemen, despite being humongous, actually pull extremely well, especially left, where they are almost impossible to stop consistently.

UW has three backs. All can be fantastic on any given day. John Clay is the headliner and Doak Walker finalist. A lot of people who follow UW think he may be the third best back on UW's roster right now. Montee Ball was a third stringer at the beginning of the year who was a high recruit but wasn't doing much. He was sort of written off and was third string and hardly played. Most were thinking he might transfer and it wouldn't be a big deal. We were all dead wrong. He has played in about 6 games and now leads college football in rushing touchdowns. A remarkable turnaround. 2nd string is James White, who was fantastic all season with highlight type runs with a few true freshman mistakes. Would probably start for 9 out of the 11 teams in the big ten right now. John Clay is big, most people think too big. Had off season ankle surgery and has been getting ankle tackled all year long. Needs the 5 weeks to get healthy, but probably wont be truly healthy to next year. All three are fantastic options and I would be surprised if White and Ball don't make 1st team all conference at some point in their UW career.

At Qb they have a very solid 5th year senior. He is top 5 in the country in completion percentage. A perfect complement to UW's team. He has a couple weaknesses. He doesn't slide, and although that hasn't hurt yet, I cant believe he hasn't been knocked out of a game in two years. The second is he has trouble throwing the far side out route. Seems like he leaves one a game out there waiting to turn into a pick six. It has happened at 2-4 times in the last couple years with a few that should have been.

Receivers are experienced but nothing spectacular. Toon could be a 2-3 round draft pick if he comes back and has a good senior year. Has the talent but hasn't put up the fantastic numbers as expected. The other receivers are good but "just guys".

UW is loaded at tight end. Kendricks is an absolute beast and one of the reasons the running game is so good. Probably an early 2nd round pick. Hybrid tight end that can really stretch the defenses. His backups will be good in the future, but are "just guys" now.

Punter and field goal kickers are both solid but not spectacular.

Defense is solid with a bend but don't break philosophy. The defense isn't nearly as good as the offense, although still solid. Don't really feel like giving a breakdown as what I posted above will probably be ripped anyway by some posters.

The one thing that I can say is that this is a completely different team than the one early in the season. They were a 8-4 team early on, hence the loss to MSU and close game with ASU. They are a 12-0 team type RIGHT NOW. I wish we could play the game next week. I have watched UW play for the last 20 years and I have never seen them play close to the level they are now and would put them up against anybody next week even money. Unfortunately, 5 weeks is a long time to be off. Hopefully for UW's sake they can keep it up. I doubt they will be able to as it is almost impossible to play as well as they have been for the last 2-3 weeks. Even against weak opponents, they were just playing at a different level, especially running the ball. Should be a great game.

As I mentioned earlier, I haven't watched TCU. Either way, I expect UW will run the ball for big yards. I just cant see ANY team in college football stopping them from running the ball now. Whether or not that will be enough for a victory remains to be seen and depends on what TCU can do on offense or if they can create a turnover or two.

Again, this is not a post to start things with the TCU fan base, just my opinion on UW and what their strong points are.

Houston Frog

The Wisconsin fan's description of their offense reminds me a lot of TCU's offense (except for the all-star TE and mediocre WRs).....

5th year senior QB who doesn't slide
Deep RB rotation
Great running team
Stud left tackle and strong OL

freddy4play

We are slow and small and just happy to be here man. Tell you players not to worry about a thing.

Never said anything close to that, but that is the type of response that generally comes on internet boards. I guess I should just come over and talk smack and get the same type of response rather than try to talk football.

BirkenSlothFrog

I think the scariest teams out there are Wisconsin and Stanford. They are both better than Oregon and Auburn.

well said - Wisconsin and TCU would be the very best or #2 best bowl matchup of the year. There would be AMAZING storylines in that game above and beyond the natural David vs. Goliath of the MWC vs. Big 10 (and the hype following Gee's comments)

Because WISC has been red-hot and gaining favor with Vegas & voters, my guess is WISC -4 in the Rose Bowl.

Would be fantastic for TCU to be the underdog. Did we lay 6 to Boise last year in the Fiesta? Can't remember day-of-game line but remember we were favored by 3 or more....

BirkenSlothFrog

Never said anything close to that, but that is the type of response that generally comes on internet boards. I guess I should just come over and talk smack and get the same type of response rather than try to talk football.

Freddy - thanks for sharing some really honest and realistic thoughts about WISC. Your team is impressive, especially the running game, and Brett Bielema is a very strong coach and picked up right where Barry Alvarez left off.

Keep in mind that TCU fans have been defending their "Worth" for more than a decade so there's bitterness towards ESPN & the AQ conferences:
1) this year will be the 11th in 12 years that TCU has made a bowl game and we've won 7/11 heading into this Rose Bowl (or NCG)
2) we are the type of football program that desires to face any team, anywhere, anyplace as evidenced by ORE State and Stanford games recently with a home-and-home scheduled with LSU & Arkansas during the next 5 years
3) WISC fans have always been in the "haves" and have never experienced the "have-nots" aspect of the BCS. Evidence would be that we played 1 bad half of football in the last 2 months - SDSU in the 2nd half - and it dropped us from National Championship consideration instantly
4) Unlike Ohio State who can lose to a top team like WISC or a team like LSU who can squeak out 3-4 games and lose 2 of them, TCU is under the pressure every year to stay undefeated to make a major bowl. Consider that Boise St just lost to Nevada partly because their kicker missed 2 gimme FGs, and it resulted in them being in either the Fight Hunger or Humanitarian bowls - a payout differential of $12-14 MM dollars (before conference payout shares)

TCU will very likely find a home in one of the AQ conferences in the next few years because a crap AQ conference like the Big East can produce a BCS school with 2+ losses. That's a pipedream in the MWC.

There are a lot of TCU fans who are THRILLED to be playing a team like WISC in the Rose Bowl and thanks for stopping by....

michaelperrytcu

Thanks for stopping by Freddy, its good to learn about your team. Usually, yall are my 11am game to watch. I've always thought WISC fans must hate playing so early EVERY single Saturday. What is yall's take on that?

shetownbucky

3) WISC fans have always been in the "haves" and have never experienced the "have-nots" aspect of the BCS.

Another Badger fan here.

We did a few years ago. In 2006, OSU went 12-0 and Michigan and Wisconsin both went 11-1. Guess who ended up going to the Capital One Bowl while the other two embarrassed themselves in BCS bowls against Florida and USC?

shetownbucky

Thanks for stopping by Freddy, its good to learn about your team. Usually, yall are my 11am game to watch. I've always thought WISC fans must hate playing so early EVERY single Saturday. What is yall's take on that?

Doesn't bother me much, but other students have quite a hard time getting their drinking done by kickoff, which means when we play a team like Austin Peay, the student section is only about half-full when the game starts. I'll never understand how you can't manage to get sufficiently drunk by 11am if you make any kind of effort to it, but start time and the correlating student timeliness is an argument that surfaces at least twice a season on most Wisconsin message boards.

Frog89

You didn't say it, I did. Lighten up Francis. Just having a little fun. I couldn't name 1 player on the Wisconsin team. I just know they are good. And so are we. We'll see how good each team is if we actually play each other.

Stopping the run is what we do... see Adrian Peterson, Toby Gerhart, Jaquizz Rodgers, and anyone else I've missed. If you guys run on us, you'll be the first. Since I've never seen 1 Wisconsin game, maybe ever, I have no idea what will happen. I just know who we've played and what they've said prior to those games, and it sounds remotely familiar to your post. Doesn't offend me, you may be right. We'll see.

DougW

Wisconsin is a run first team for sure, history has shown the Frogs can stop the run and vegas loves us, I bet the line is Frogs -1.5

You stop Wisconsin from running -- you'll win the game. We can and will pass but its all a piece with the running game. If TCU could force Wisconsin to be a pass only team, we'd be in trouble. But I don't think history is much help in figuring out whether you will actually be able to do it or not. This is the best OL Wisconsin has ever had and that is saying a lot. Kind of like BYU was once known as QB U. Badgers are best known for cranking out OL. As a point of comparison, I checked the NFL database and it shows 8 Badger OL in the NFL in the last 5 years. By point of comparison -- there are a total of about 15 for the entire Mountain West Conference. LT is a top 15 pick. LG is first day NFL choice. The Center -- who is much younger than the other two - may turn out to be the best of the bunch -- at minimum he's a first day draft pick. The jury is a bit out on the other two but they both have legitimate NFL shots as well. I hate the over statement that you see so often on many message boards but I think its pretty fair to say that TCU has never been tested against an OL like this one.

Now, please don't confuse me with one of those we're from BCS conference types -- I think you'll find a lot less Wisconsin folks with that sort of mantra than say at a place like OSU that falls in love with its 5 star recruits every year. We've never had a top 25 recruiting class. Badgers are a bunch of lunch pale types.

I would expect an extremely competitive game. Badgers defense is good but not great. TCU will score points. Can TCU line up on the defensive side and hold up to 4 quarters of old-fashioned line'em up and see who can move the line of scrimmage? I'm sure Badgers think you can't while TCU fans think you can. Hope we get to find out.

Doug W

Dtx_Frog_Fan

Thanks for stopping by Doug. Your backfield is truly impressive and will really put our defense to the test. Can't wait for a great game assuming the other unbeatens win or they don't pull rule 5d.

mjh68

You didn't say it, I did. Lighten up Francis. Just having a little fun. I couldn't name 1 player on the Wisconsin team. I just know they are good. And so are we. We'll see how good each team is if we actually play each other.

Stopping the run is what we do... see Adrian Peterson, Toby Gerhart, Jaquizz Rodgers, and anyone else I've missed. If you guys run on us, you'll be the first. Since I've never seen 1 Wisconsin game, maybe ever, I have no idea what will happen. I just know who we've played and what they've said prior to those games, and it sounds remotely familiar to your post. Doesn't offend me, you may be right. We'll see.

I think alot of Wisconsin fans are in your shoes, never watched TCU play in my life. I see statistically they have the best D in the nation so will be quite a test for the Badgers, but the test goes both ways. I won't bother rehashing the other Badger fan's post about our team, Freddy did a great job summing it up, but this will be quite a game to watch !
I am not even sure what offense you run, but as long as it isn't the spread I think our D will play pretty well. I think this game will come down to the offense though, and who will impose their style and will on the others defense. Wisconsin lately hasn't had much trouble grinding it out and keeping our D fresh so I hope they can do the same.
Regardless, if we win great ! , but if we lose I will be glad that TCU was as good as advertised and deserved it. We had to special of a season to play a meaningless bowl game.

SavannahBadger

i don't particularly mind the early games, and i went to all of them this year.

Latest posts