• The KillerFrogs

TCU v USC Game Thread

Interesting that Fisher hasn’t taken a free throw yet this year

His three point shot has really developed since his freshman year, so I think it is a conscious plan to let Robinson be the real PG who does more of the driving and dishing (and drawing fouls) while Jaylen’s knee continues to experience soreness and recover. There is no point in having Fisher banging around drawing fouls on drives risking reinjuring his knee,

It creates a heck of a problem for opponents when Robinson drives having Fisher, Bane, and Noi all out at the perimeter and a capable Miller or Samual as an option down low. If the defense collapses on Robinson he is going to find someone for a good look.

Farmfrog

That was a fantastic performance by the team last night. I don’t think we’ve played a game this year where the energy level was as high as last night. I get the feeling that we were looking forward to this game all season and wanted to make a statement. If the offense plays like this the rest of the season we’re going to win a lot of games. What’s getting lost with all the offense is the fact the defense was exceptional, especially in the first half. The best interior defense we’ve played all year plus rebounded the ball very well.

Eight

only got to watch the final 10 minutes last night and found myself wondering if casey jacobsen had dropped acid or drank mushroom tea to illicit his rambling string of phrases and thoughts that make a cgmfp press conference appear concise and on point

watched the rebroadcast today and damn...... for a number of reasons

i really like how this team came out and competed. there are still rough edges that need to be knocked off as the pieces continue to fit together, but you can see there is a plan and the players are working to execute the plan on the tcu side of the ball

have no freaking idea what usc was trying to do and while i know they have had some injuries they have just way too much raw talent to just go through the motions. seriously they have 9-10 top 100 recruits and i have seen intramural teams better organized offensively and give better defensive effort

compare that to the development on the offensive end in bane, noi, and fisher's perimeter games. those guys have come leap years and that simply isn't a matter of guys staying after practice and shooting a few extra shots. not sure which coaches have been working with them, but you can see it in the development of their games.

same with big chris inside. true, a counter move to the right hand would be a nice compliment inside and i think the final piece will be an 8-10 foot jumper of the pnr, but the positioning, call for the ball, drop step, etc... are so much better than when i saw him play a few high school games.

i think it will be interesting to watch jaylen's role develop. not sure if he will ever quite be as explosive going to the basketball as he once was when he came to ft worth due to the injuries, but he is a legit outside threat and when you combine his passing skills with the perimeter game it does pose any interesting threat.

agree with farmfrogn on the level of play in the interior defense. i think that was a big part in getting usc to just say screw it when they weren't getting easy chances.

biggest thing to me for the game is that i think you see players fitting into their roles. archie is a perfect example. moose and others have continually talked about how hard he plays which the guy has from game one. there is enough scoring potential he doesn't need to contribute a great deal offensively and i think he can become a key piece on the defensive end.

dunk attempt showed his athletic ability, but the biggest thing was the confidence to even try that in the first place. there are videos out there of kaden doing similar things in high school dunk contests, but it is one thing to do that for fun in a contest and completely another when during the flow of a game you make the decision to go over someone from that far out.

not sure how good this team is because usc gave no resistance in the second half, but i do think an expectation of getting to baylor with just one loss is not too high and i think the game in lawrence will give us a better idea of if this is a team that finish near the top of the big 12 or around the middle in a very tough conference

only got to watch the final 10 minutes last night and found myself wondering if casey jacobsen had dropped acid or drank mushroom tea to illicit his rambling string of phrases and thoughts that make a cgmfp press conference appear concise and on point

i really like how this team came out and competed. there are still rough edges that need to be knocked off as the pieces continue to fit together, but you can see there is a plan and the players are working to execute the plan on the tcu side of the ball

have no freaking idea what usc was trying to do and while i know they have had some injuries they have just way too much raw talent to just go through the motions. seriously they have 9-10 top 100 recruits and i have seen intramural teams better organized offensively and give better defensive effort

compare that to the development on the offensive end in bane, noi, and fisher's perimeter games. those guys have come leap years and that simply isn't a matter of guys staying after practice and shooting a few extra shots. not sure which coaches have been working with them, but you can see it in the development of their games.

same with big chris inside. true, a counter move to the right hand would be a nice compliment inside and i think the final piece will be an 8-10 foot jumper of the pnr, but the positioning, call for the ball, drop step, etc... are so much better than when i saw him play a few high school games.

i think it will be interesting to watch jaylen's role develop. not sure if he will ever quite be as explosive going to the basketball as he once was when he came to ft worth due to the injuries, but he is a legit outside threat and when you combine his passing skills with the perimeter game it does pose any interesting threat.

agree with farmfrogn on the level of play in the interior defense. i think that was a big part in getting usc to just say screw it when they weren't getting easy chances.

biggest thing to me for the game is that i think you see players fitting into their roles. archie is a perfect example. moose and others have continually talked about how hard he plays which the guy has from game one. there is enough scoring potential he doesn't need to contribute a great deal offensively and i think he can become a key piece on the defensive end.

dunk attempt showed his athletic ability, but the biggest thing was the confidence to even try that in the first place. there are videos out there of kaden doing similar things in high school dunk contests, but it is one thing to do that for fun in a contest and completely another when during the flow of a game you make the decision to go over someone from that far out.

not sure how good this team is because usc gave no resistance in the second half, but i do think an expectation of getting to baylor with just one loss is not too high and i think the game in lawrence will give us a better idea of if this is a team that finish near the top of the big 12 or around the middle in a very tough conference

I like what you did there.

BABYFACE

he looked sooooo upset during the game. thought many fouls weren't being called on his players. they just were totally out-manned tonight.
I noticed that the SC players would either initiate contact from 15 ft on in or go up in the paint expecting contact. Many times that contact didn’t happen. They must have thought they were Dwyane Wade that gets foul calls for a defender just being in the same zip code.

PO Frog

Who is big Chris?

4th. down

8, good thoughts and one in particular, you mentioned several players have brought their game up and not by just casual shooting in the gym. I've been thinking the same and will take a wild guess and say Coach Cross because he was not here last year and so many players have significantly bettered their game in a short time - JD MILLER.

Froggy Style

First half of this game comparable to second half of Georgia Tech. Arob hitting FT’s should not be overlooked as a confidence boost to him and the team.

Note: A Rob’s shots not a fluke, he was following through w good spin on the ball. Could be a very fun year.

Last edited:

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
For the first ten minutes of the first half, we got USC's best, and we kicked it back in their face with the end of half run. That broke them.

Barring some unforeseen setback, we will be VERY difficult to beat in conference, especially at home. I am really looking forward to some über-competitive games between ourselves and the Kansas teams.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
I remember DePaul's assistant coaches were on twitter a few years ago during non conference play bragging about how analytics showed they were the fastest team in the country in terms of pace.

They went 0-18 in the Big East.
Wasn't it LIU Brooklyn that was so very run-and-gun during the 90's? @Tom Brown would know. Anyway, that program is 0-fer in NCAA tournaments. Many others like it struggle when the big lights come on, including 97/98 TCU. There's a reason this style doesn't win consistently.

Chongo94

Wasn't it LIU Brooklyn that was so very run-and-gun during the 90's? @Tom Brown would know. Anyway, that program is 0-fer in NCAA tournaments. Many others like it struggle when the big lights come on, including 97/98 TCU. There's a reason this style doesn't win consistently.

I still vividly remember playing a buddy on ‘97 or ‘98 NCAA basketball from EA sports, picking TCU exactly for that style.....promptly lost by about 25-30 points.