• The KillerFrogs

TCU Tennis

Jared7

So football was invented in 2011 and tennis in 1998. Got it
For Baylor fans, that's apparently the case. But the reason for all that history stuff is so that TCU fans don't act like that - we should be aware that USC, Stanford, UCLA (and to a lesser extent Georgia and Virginia) have dominated the sport. If we happened to win the NCAA's this year, we could appreciate it all the more because we would understand the context. TCU didn't get good until the 1970's when (as this forum should call him) LHCTMFB was hired. And we're only back in the elite because LHCDMFR was hired and we joined the Big12.

And we can't stop pushing - the facilities and salary races are ongoing. If TCU is ever to host the NCAA's like Baylor and Oklahoma State have or will do, what we need to do is to expand our indoor facilities to 6 courts (rather than the 5 we have now). And our fans need to support the events that we do host - like the Summer Circuit championships we'll be hosting in August. Recruits like Norrie and Rybakov are attracted to playing in front of lots of fans - after 4 consecutive years of the highest attendance in the nation, I don't think we're going to accomplish that this year (it was probably because of our slow start). We need a good turnout next weekend - the last chance fans will have to see Cam Norrie play for TCU. (And, uh, we need Ohio State to lose in the early rounds).

BearlyAFrog

TCU has been in the elite of college tennis since the 1970's when Tut Bartzen took over as our coach. Until 2002, TCU's all-time record against Baylor was 32-4. TCU has been an annual (virtually) NCAA participant for 40+ years, making 4 semi-finals and TCU players have frequently made semis (and finals) in singles and doubles. By contrast, Baylor was an utter doormat until 1998 when Coach Knoll was hired and the school used unearned BCS monies to improve their facilities. Throughout the entire SWC era, Baylor was terrible at tennis. TCU still leads the all-time record against Baylor 34-20. You've got the histories mixed-up - Baylor is the recent upstart who only arose in the 21st century; TCU's success extends well into last century. Baylor acts like tennis history only just began; TCU has a long storied history in the sport. Why are you not aware of this? I suspect it's because you didn't follow college tennis until the contemporary era. Your point applies to Baylor tennis; not TCU.

Most conferences have named their year-long awards but not the Big12 as yet. I'm projecting Coach Roditi as Coach of the Year and Cam Norrie as Player of the Year (he should also win the national award too). But the all-Tourney teams were announced and Cam was Most Outstanding player and named #1 in singles, Alex Rybakov was #2, Trevor Johnson was #5, Reese Stalder was #6, Nunez/Rybakov were #2 in doubles and Norrie/Johnson were #3. (Sadly, because they washed out in the first round, no Baylor players made the list.)

I like your fire Jared7, but don't get sucked into cherry picking stats like the rest of these fellas. No one claimed Baylor as historically superior to TCU in tennis, even though they have attained the ultimate prize and also finished runner up, both of which the Frogs have not, but TCU's "elite" success is recent. Historically, they had a very good 10 year run from the late 80s to the end of the SWC. Since then they didnt even dominate the WAC or Mountain West. Elite programs would destroy both of those conferences. SMU has had arguably more historical success than TCU and they're not elite, though they are historically a very good program. In fact, while Baylor was cellar dwelling in the SWC, there were probably 4 or 5 member schools with more championships than TCU.

As for my pedigree, I'm no stud, in fact I'm a Baylor walk-on attempt failure, but I'm familiar with the frogs legacy having taken lessons from decorated frog alum John Baker when he was at McLeland and then Rivercrest. I respect the program and the quick turnaround Coach Rod has made.

And I would consider Georgia an elite program as well having won numerous natl championships over a 30 or so year span.

Keep fighting the good fight Jared7, your passion does not go unnoticed by the forums.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
I like your fire Jared7, but don't get sucked into cherry picking stats like the rest of these fellas. No one claimed Baylor as historically superior to TCU in tennis, even though they have attained the ultimate prize and also finished runner up, both of which the Frogs have not, but TCU's "elite" success is recent. Historically, they had a very good 10 year run from the late 80s to the end of the SWC. Since then they didnt even dominate the WAC or Mountain West. Elite programs would destroy both of those conferences. SMU has had arguably more historical success than TCU and they're not elite, though they are historically a very good program. In fact, while Baylor was cellar dwelling in the SWC, there were probably 4 or 5 member schools with more championships than TCU.

As for my pedigree, I'm no stud, in fact I'm a Baylor walk-on attempt failure, but I'm familiar with the frogs legacy having taken lessons from decorated frog alum John Baker when he was at McLeland and then Rivercrest. I respect the program and the quick turnaround Coach Rod has made.

And I would consider Georgia an elite program as well having won numerous natl championships over a 30 or so year span.

Keep fighting the good fight Jared7, your passion does not go unnoticed by the forums.

To recap:

Blah blah blah

You're a failure

Blah blah blah

Jared7

To "list" stats is not to "cherry pick" them. The words mean something different. There is only one all-time record stat between TCU and Baylor in tennis and TCU has won 62% of the matches and Baylor is at 37%. Yes, Baylor did win 16 straight between 2002 and 2015, but all that did was bring Baylor from 11% wins in the matches to just under 40% and now it's slipped back down to 37%. No one could seriously claim that Baylor is historically superior because to do so would be inaccurate. TCU's success is not all "recent" - out of our 4 Final 4 appearances, 3 occurred under Tut and 1 under Roditi (and all of Tut's occurred prior to Baylor making its first-ever NCAA appearance in 1998) - most of our conference championships occurred in the 20th century; not (like Baylor) all in the 21st century. TCU had a great 25-30 year run in the SWC culminating in going 27-0 in the SWC's last regular season in 1996 and making the NCAA's Final 4. TCU won championships in each of the WAC, C-USA and the MWC - when we didn't, it was because other good programs (like SMU, Tulsa, Fresno and Tulane) did. Elite programs do not play "conferences" - they play other teams and merely being in a good conference does not mean that a team will automatically beat a team from a weaker conference. Trinity, Pepperdine, Tulane and Notre Dame have won Division 1 NCAA championships - none were in P5 conferences at the time. Tennis, therefore, is more like baseball than football, so one should not apply football standards to it.

Let's list a few examples: Baylor's historic all-time record against Trinity (now a Division 3 team) is 7-14, Baylor's all-time record against Rice is 5-25; Baylor's all-time record against SMU is 21-28; and (not to "cherry pick") Baylor does hold an all-time record against Incarnate Word of 4-0. Against SWC/Big12 teams, Baylor is 21-41 against UT, Baylor is 22-34-1 against A&M, Baylor is 28-31 against Tech, Baylor is 21-25 against OU.

By contrast, TCU is 33-29 against SMU (including 8 straight), the team that you claim has had more historic success (despite fewer Final 4's, fewer conference championships etc...) than TCU. I got most of these facts from the Baylor Tennis Media Guide, which, interestingly, is only the 8th such guide ever produced (all in the 21st century). I checked out some other Baylor history - virtually every single all-time record of Baylor tennis dates only from 1998. Baylor's first-ever NCAA appearance was in 1998. Why is that?

Your'e not going to win this. Contrary to your initial post, TCU has a 40+ year record of elite performance in tennis; not a 2-year spurt. Baylor has only been good since 1998. Those are the facts and they are undisputed.

BearlyAFrog

Side note, I attended
To "list" stats is not to "cherry pick" them. The words mean something different. There is only one all-time record stat between TCU and Baylor in tennis and TCU has won 62% of the matches and Baylor is at 37%. Yes, Baylor did win 16 straight between 2002 and 2015, but all that did was bring Baylor from 11% wins in the matches to just under 40% and now it's slipped back down to 37%. No one could seriously claim that Baylor is historically superior because to do so would be inaccurate. TCU's success is not all "recent" - out of our 4 Final 4 appearances, 3 occurred under Tut and 1 under Roditi (and all of Tut's occurred prior to Baylor making its first-ever NCAA appearance in 1998) - most of our conference championships occurred in the 20th century; not (like Baylor) all in the 21st century. TCU had a great 25-30 year run in the SWC culminating in going 27-0 in the SWC's last regular season in 1996 and making the NCAA's Final 4. TCU won championships in each of the WAC, C-USA and the MWC - when we didn't, it was because other good programs (like SMU, Tulsa, Fresno and Tulane) did. Elite programs do not play "conferences" - they play other teams and merely being in a good conference does not mean that a team will automatically beat a team from a weaker conference. Trinity, Pepperdine, Tulane and Notre Dame have won Division 1 NCAA championships - none were in P5 conferences at the time. Tennis, therefore, is more like baseball than football, so one should not apply football standards to it.

Let's list a few examples: Baylor's historic all-time record against Trinity (now a Division 3 team) is 7-14, Baylor's all-time record against Rice is 5-25; Baylor's all-time record against SMU is 21-28; and (not to "cherry pick") Baylor does hold an all-time record against Incarnate Word of 4-0. Against SWC/Big12 teams, Baylor is 21-41 against UT, Baylor is 22-34-1 against A&M, Baylor is 28-31 against Tech, Baylor is 21-25 against OU.

By contrast, TCU is 33-29 against SMU (including 8 straight), the team that you claim has had more historic success (despite fewer Final 4's, fewer conference championships etc...) than TCU. I got most of these facts from the Baylor Tennis Media Guide, which, interestingly, is only the 8th such guide ever produced (all in the 21st century). I checked out some other Baylor history - virtually every single all-time record of Baylor tennis dates only from 1998. Baylor's first-ever NCAA appearance was in 1998. Why is that?

Your'e not going to win this. Contrary to your initial post, TCU has a 40+ year record of elite performance in tennis; not a 2-year spurt. Baylor has only been good since 1998. Those are the facts and they are undisputed.

Now you're just being stubborn. No one here, NO ONE, ever made a claim as to Baylors historical tennis superiority over anyone...EVER. To continue to argue the the TCU vs BU record is a defensive measure against an attack that was never made. It is petty and should be avoided in order to maintain the rational high ground.

When did those three Tut final four appearances take place? What years? Was it during the decade long run of success that I previously mentioned?

While TCU was losing more conference championships than it was winning, who were they losing to? "Elite" programs? San Diego State? Fresno? Arkansas? SMU? BYU? Boise?

TCU has been a good program for a long time. It has not been an "elite" program for a long time. They've had good runs and bad ones like nearly every other school in most sports. There are very few elite programs (like you yourself previously mentioned) that's what makes them elite. I find it inconsistent how you refer to there only being three elite tennis schools(with possibly two additions) and then throw in that TCU is also one of them.

I understand how collegiate tennis works, it isn't necessary to talk to me like the other Big 3 sports fans that inhabit these pages.

Don't let passion get in the way of facts.

GlendarrochFrog

Bearly
Side note, I attended

Now you're just being stubborn. No one here, NO ONE, ever made a claim as to Baylors historical tennis superiority over anyone...EVER. To continue to argue the the TCU vs BU record is a defensive measure against an attack that was never made.

You have repeatedly said that you are not arguing Baylor is better than TCU. So who would you say has a better program historically, Baylor or TCU?

Jared7

Side note, I attended

Now you're just being stubborn. No one here, NO ONE, ever made a claim as to Baylors historical tennis superiority over anyone...EVER. To continue to argue the the TCU vs BU record is a defensive measure against an attack that was never made. It is petty and should be avoided in order to maintain the rational high ground.

When did those three Tut final four appearances take place? What years? Was it during the decade long run of success that I previously mentioned?

While TCU was losing more conference championships than it was winning, who were they losing to? "Elite" programs? San Diego State? Fresno? Arkansas? SMU? BYU? Boise?

TCU has been a good program for a long time. It has not been an "elite" program for a long time. They've had good runs and bad ones like nearly every other school in most sports. There are very few elite programs (like you yourself previously mentioned) that's what makes them elite. I find it inconsistent how you refer to there only being three elite tennis schools(with possibly two additions) and then throw in that TCU is also one of them.

I understand how collegiate tennis works, it isn't necessary to talk to me like the other Big 3 sports fans that inhabit these pages.

Don't let passion get in the way of facts.
The "petty" attack was the accusation that I was "cherry picking" facts. Just for fun, let's do a dispassionate, comprehensive and thorough non-cherry-picked fact-based list of every single season Baylor tennis record from the inception of the program until 1997: 1970 - 16-14-1; 1971 - 7-16-1; 1972 - 7-16; 1973 - 2-16; 1974 - 7-12; 1975 - 7-12; 1976 - 7-20-2; 1977 - 7-12; 1978 - 10-12; 1979 - 11-14; 1980 - 9-21; 1981 - 5-27; 1982 - 5-15; 1983 - 8-17; 1984 - 9-15; 1985 - 12-13; 1986 - 10-6; 1987 - 10-9; 1988 - 11-15; 1989 - 3-17; 1990 - 3-17; 1991 - 4-16; 1992 - 3-15; 1993 - 6-11; 1994 - 12-8; 1995 - 4-15; 1996 - 7-14; 1997 - 13-12. Now, lets do a dispassionate (perhaps a bit "cherry picked") listing of Baylor's all-time records against select NCAA programs not previously listed: Air Force 1-5; Alliant International 0-1; Arkansas 0-16; UALR 0-4; BYU 1-1; Central Texas 9-4-1; Chapman 0-1; Cooke County 2-0; East Texas State (now A&M Commerce) 7-8; Eastern Illinois 0-1; Georgia 1-4; Houston 2-14; Houston Baptist 2-2; Illinois 5-6; Indiana 0-1; Laredo 5-0; Louisiana Monroe 2-7; LSU 1-3; Louisiana Tech 0-2; Mary Hardin-Baylor 4-2; McClennan CC 5-2; McNeese State 1-2; Michigan 0-1; Michigan State 0-3; Navarro 0-0-1; New Mexico State 2-2; North Carolina 0-3; North Texas 4-4; Ohio State 1-6; Odessa JC 1-0; Old Dominion 0-1; Oklahoma City 1-6; Oral Roberts 3-3; St, Edwards 15-1; San Diego State 0-1; Schreiner 1-2; SE Louisiana 1-2; SE Oklahoma 1-5; Southwest Baptist 1-1; Temple JC 0-1-1; Tennessee 2-6; Texas Southern 1-2; Texas State 8-6; Tyler JC 0-1; UCSB 0-3; UT-Tyler 1-3; Utah 0-1; UTA 13-5; UTEP 1-2; Virginia 5-9; Weatherford 2-0; Weber State 0-1; West Texas State 0-6; Yale 0-1. Given the initial claim that TCU was some sort of upstart with no success until 2 years ago, these facts perhaps indicate that that charge really applies to Baylor. And it isn't petty to point all this out - it is rational fact that you just don't want to read. You apparently think that you can blithely criticize TCU's tennis history and that responses about Baylor's pre-1998 dearth of a tennis history are out of bounds. You are mistaken. Every single time you make some sort of criticism of TCU, I'm going to come back with more about Baylor. And rest assured, I have only scratched the surface - the Baylor media guide is replete with a wealth of info.

Given that you didn't present any such facts, I'm not sure why I should respond to your questions. But I will correct my error - Tut only took TCU to 2 Final 4's (1989 and 1996), the third was when Joey Rive was coach in 2001 (and TCU was in C-USA which is at variance from your claim about conferences) and the 4th was in 2015 under Roditi. But Tut did lead TCU to 8 conference tourney championships and 5 regular season championships, including 19 Top 20 finishes and 7 Top 10 finishes, with an all time winning percentage of .722. Contrary to your claim, TCU won 4 MWC titles in 7 years, which is as many football titles as we won, and most consider that kind of a record to be fairly dominant in that, contrary to your claim, we won more titles than we lost. All-time, TCU has 28 NCAA appearances, 15 conference tournament titles, 10 regular season titles and 27 Top 25 finishes; each of which are more than Baylor has and all of which exceed your description of a mere decade of success. What Baylor has over TCU is 1 NCAA title, and 1 other finals appearance. Like it or not, TCU, as I said originally, has a 40+ year record of playing at the elite level while Baylor has been doing it only since 1998. And as I explained, since the 1970's, the definition of "elite" has broadened so much so that the original definition that only includes USC, Stanford and UCLA has changed. Rather than reacting defensively, you should read what I write more carefully.

But, like dirtbag said, this is a TCU site and a thread on the TCU team's performance this season. You have now wasted several pages of the thread with your criticisms. If you want to constantly attack me or TCU for whatever reason, please do so on another thread because this thread is intended to inform TCU fans about this year's team.

BearlyAFrog

I've got 14 of the 331 posts in this thread and not one of them has been anything but supportive and respectful of TCU tennis. What gets me is you guys' ridiculous need to defend yourselves when no one is trying to get you. The only possible "negative" you could take away from my position is that I don't believe TCU should be considered a historically elite tennis program. Not a slight, just a spot reserved for other schools. Baylor is not amongst them! Baylor has contemporaneously entered the top tier of college tennis much like TCU has these last few years.

BearlyAFrog

The "petty" attack was the accusation that I was "cherry picking" facts. Just for fun, let's do a dispassionate, comprehensive and thorough non-cherry-picked fact-based list of every single season Baylor tennis record from the inception of the program until 1997: 1970 - 16-14-1; 1971 - 7-16-1; 1972 - 7-16; 1973 - 2-16; 1974 - 7-12; 1975 - 7-12; 1976 - 7-20-2; 1977 - 7-12; 1978 - 10-12; 1979 - 11-14; 1980 - 9-21; 1981 - 5-27; 1982 - 5-15; 1983 - 8-17; 1984 - 9-15; 1985 - 12-13; 1986 - 10-6; 1987 - 10-9; 1988 - 11-15; 1989 - 3-17; 1990 - 3-17; 1991 - 4-16; 1992 - 3-15; 1993 - 6-11; 1994 - 12-8; 1995 - 4-15; 1996 - 7-14; 1997 - 13-12. Now, lets do a dispassionate (perhaps a bit "cherry picked") listing of Baylor's all-time records against select NCAA programs not previously listed: Air Force 1-5; Alliant International 0-1; Arkansas 0-16; UALR 0-4; BYU 1-1; Central Texas 9-4-1; Chapman 0-1; Cooke County 2-0; East Texas State (now A&M Commerce) 7-8; Eastern Illinois 0-1; Georgia 1-4; Houston 2-14; Houston Baptist 2-2; Illinois 5-6; Indiana 0-1; Laredo 5-0; Louisiana Monroe 2-7; LSU 1-3; Louisiana Tech 0-2; Mary Hardin-Baylor 4-2; McClennan CC 5-2; McNeese State 1-2; Michigan 0-1; Michigan State 0-3; Navarro 0-0-1; New Mexico State 2-2; North Carolina 0-3; North Texas 4-4; Ohio State 1-6; Odessa JC 1-0; Old Dominion 0-1; Oklahoma City 1-6; Oral Roberts 3-3; St, Edwards 15-1; San Diego State 0-1; Schreiner 1-2; SE Louisiana 1-2; SE Oklahoma 1-5; Southwest Baptist 1-1; Temple JC 0-1-1; Tennessee 2-6; Texas Southern 1-2; Texas State 8-6; Tyler JC 0-1; UCSB 0-3; UT-Tyler 1-3; Utah 0-1; UTA 13-5; UTEP 1-2; Virginia 5-9; Weatherford 2-0; Weber State 0-1; West Texas State 0-6; Yale 0-1. Given the initial claim that TCU was some sort of upstart with no success until 2 years ago, these facts perhaps indicate that that charge really applies to Baylor. And it isn't petty to point all this out - it is rational fact that you just don't want to read. You apparently think that you can blithely criticize TCU's tennis history and that responses about Baylor's pre-1998 dearth of a tennis history are out of bounds. You are mistaken. Every single time you make some sort of criticism of TCU, I'm going to come back with more about Baylor. And rest assured, I have only scratched the surface - the Baylor media guide is replete with a wealth of info.

Given that you didn't present any such facts, I'm not sure why I should respond to your questions. But I will correct my error - Tut only took TCU to 2 Final 4's (1989 and 1996), the third was when Joey Rive was coach in 2001 (and TCU was in C-USA which is at variance from your claim about conferences) and the 4th was in 2015 under Roditi. But Tut did lead TCU to 8 conference tourney championships and 5 regular season championships, including 19 Top 20 finishes and 7 Top 10 finishes, with an all time winning percentage of .722. Contrary to your claim, TCU won 4 MWC titles in 7 years, which is as many football titles as we won, and most consider that kind of a record to be fairly dominant in that, contrary to your claim, we won more titles than we lost. All-time, TCU has 28 NCAA appearances, 15 conference tournament titles, 10 regular season titles and 27 Top 25 finishes; each of which are more than Baylor has and all of which exceed your description of a mere decade of success. What Baylor has over TCU is 1 NCAA title, and 1 other finals appearance. Like it or not, TCU, as I said originally, has a 40+ year record of playing at the elite level while Baylor has been doing it only since 1998. And as I explained, since the 1970's, the definition of "elite" has broadened so much so that the original definition that only includes USC, Stanford and UCLA has changed. Rather than reacting defensively, you should read what I write more carefully.

But, like dirtbag said, this is a TCU site and a thread on the TCU team's performance this season. You have now wasted several pages of the thread with your criticisms. If you want to constantly attack me or TCU for whatever reason, please do so on another thread because this thread is intended to inform TCU fans about this year's team.

I consider lying by omission to be cherry picking. When you say TCU won 4 mountain west conference championships in 7 years are you talking regular season or tournament? I actually count 2 of 7 regular season championships 1 of those being split three ways. They did win the tournament though 3 times. 4 of 7 or 5 of 14. Which one sounds better?

TCU also has plenty of conference championships in lesser conferences. The SWC and the Big 12 are the only conferences worth a damn that they've played in. In the SWC TCU has fewer regular season conference titles than Texas, Rice, and SMU, and is equal to Arkansas. Where they managed to shine was the conference tournament winning 7. To put that in perspective TCU has 5 of the 49 regular season conference championships. Not exactly "elite". And all of those wins coming during the 10 years I previously mentioned.

Please don't fall into stereotypes by resorting to a "but we're better than Baylor" argument. NO ONE disagrees with that historical assessment!

GlendarrochFrog

Jared7, I'm still trying to figure out why you're so hung up on Baylor tennis.

If you're handle was "TCUJohnny", no one would have a problem with anything you are saying. But it isn't. TCU fans (and almost everyone around the country at this point) are absolutely disgusted with everything associated with Baylor. No one is hung up on Baylor tennis, per se, it is just that anything Baylor related evokes a viceral reaction of disdain.

Want a more friendly experience on the site? Don't have a handle indicating support for the most hated university in all of college sports right now.

Last edited:

West Coast Johnny

So... what's new with TCU tennis? The men's team is in the playoff's right? And is highly ranked? What about the women's team? What's on the schedule horizon?

I guess I could look this stuff up but I come the the TCU Tennis thread to do that.

Jared7

So... what's new with TCU tennis? The men's team is in the playoff's right? And is highly ranked? What about the women's team? What's on the schedule horizon?

I guess I could look this stuff up but I come the the TCU Tennis thread to do that.
Thanks for getting us back on topic! Riff Ram Illustrated did a nice pictorial of the men's team (as well as the equestrian, women's golf and baseball teams) - the link is on the Men's tennis twitter page under the title Trophy Hunting. TCU is seeded 6th nationally and will be hosting a NCAA regional next Friday against Jackson State (the same school we'll be opening with in football). If we win, we'll play either Arkansas or Florida State, and if we win that, it's on to Athens for the nationals. Cam Norrie is ranked #1 and Alex Rybakov is 20th. Both will be in the singles competition and Reese Stalder/Trevor Johnson will be competing in doubles. We're currently on a 14-match winning streak and just won the Big12 tournament.

The TCU women are ranked 27th and are headed to the Stanford regional next Friday as the #2 seed there. We open up against the Rice Owls and if we win, we'll face either Stanford or Idaho. Seda Arantekin will play in the NCAA singles tourney and Donika Bashota and Olaya Garrido-Rivas will compete in doubles.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Thanks for getting us back on topic! Riff Ram Illustrated did a nice pictorial of the men's team (as well as the equestrian, women's golf and baseball teams) - the link is on the Men's tennis twitter page under the title Trophy Hunting. TCU is seeded 6th nationally and will be hosting a NCAA regional next Friday against Jackson State (the same school we'll be opening with in football). If we win, we'll play either Arkansas or Florida State, and if we win that, it's on to Athens for the nationals. Cam Norrie is ranked #1 and Alex Rybakov is 20th. Both will be in the singles competition and Reese Stalder/Trevor Johnson will be competing in doubles. We're currently on a 14-match winning streak and just won the Big12 tournament.

The TCU women are ranked 27th and are headed to the Stanford regional next Friday as the #2 seed there. We open up against the Rice Owls and if we win, we'll face either Stanford or Idaho. Seda Arantekin will play in the NCAA singles tourney and Donika Bashota and Olaya Garrido-Rivas will compete in doubles.

You forgot to mention that TCU has only been successful in recent years and prior to that was wildly unsuccessful.