• The KillerFrogs

TCU Super Regional

NewFrogFan

Also three passed balls and another 10 pitches dropped.

So don't run on him, bunt guys over and be prepared to steal home. TCU almost ran themselves out this game, if Skoug does not hit HR, I bet they lose. I do not understand why there is not more bunting vs stealing when it is kind of obvious the catcher can throw the ball IF he catches it.

GoFrog Yourself

So don't run on him, bunt guys over and be prepared to steal home. TCU almost ran themselves out this game, if Skoug does not hit HR, I bet they lose. I do not understand why there is not more bunting vs stealing when it is kind of obvious the catcher can throw the ball IF he catches it.

Hot take right here. I trust the guy wearing 22 in the dugout to make the right calls. Bunting can be effective, but our team has over 75% success on stolen bases this season and only 2 sacrifice bunts all year.

So 2 things: 1) why not take the chance with the stolen base, where if the guy moves up a base with the same batter still up he can put the ball in play and move him up another base? Bunting success requires two properly executed at-bats, whereas stealing can replace the need for extra at-bats to get a guy to the same spot

2) why ask someone to do something they haven't done all year this late in the season? Better chance we don't get a bunt down than getting thrown out on a steal attempt

Bizarro Frog

Schloss addressed this at the first luncheon when the season started. He had the stats to back up the philosophy and basically our CWS run of 3 in a row started when they stopped bunting and got apggressive on the bases. He does not want to give outs away under almost any situation. He also wants to put the other team under as much pressure as possible every time a Frog is on base. He said everyone remembers the outs on the bases but forgets the plays that are successful. The ratio was like 20-1 in a positive result for the Frogs.

TCUdirtbag

Just finished watching the replay. Easily one of the best baseball games I've ever witnessed in person. I love both of these teams and wish they both were playing in Omaha.

Regarding the heckler heard on the broadcast: Shut up.

Regarding some of the TCU fans that I talked to before the game that said "But they played in a lesser conference and don't play nobody, Pawl." Please turn in your TCU fan card. MSU baseball is every bit as legit as TCU football circa 2009.

I'm scared of what the Bears HR bats may do to Howard tomorrow.

Go Frogs!

That heckler unfortunately rarely misses a game. He is awful. Sorry about him.

Let's be real, the Missouri Valley is a lesser conference than the Big 12 and the Bears have played a weaker schedule than TCU, as evidenced by the RPI differential. The teams' season stats are otherwise very close, so an unbiased and reasonable comment is that TCU and MSU have performed about even but TCU against better opposition, on average. No one can reasonably disagree with this. If that's the point the TCU fans were making, even in a dumbed-down way, it's not wrong. The point of a 3-game series is to hopefully identify the better team. We'll find out. Don't get your panties in a wad when people point out the obvious though. The comparison to TCU football is naive. MSU is getting the opportunity to play for it all. TCU football didn't get that opportunity in 2009-10. Like MSU baseball now, TCU went out in that era and tried to play good games out of conference to position for the postseason. The difference is MSU baseball gets into the big baseball dance. TCU football got snubbed from playing for a title. Significant difference, and a lot of TCU fans both get that and have strong feelings about it.

Pharm Frog

Schloss addressed this at the first luncheon when the season started. He had the stats to back up the philosophy and basically our CWS run of 3 in a row started when they stopped bunting and got apggressive on the bases. He does not want to give outs away under almost any situation. He also wants to put the other team under as much pressure as possible every time a Frog is on base. He said everyone remembers the outs on the bases but forgets the plays that are successful. The ratio was like 20-1 in a positive result for the Frogs.

Never seen a team be aggressive on the bases and be able to bunt I guess. I think that bunting has been shown to put plenty of pressure on our D for awhile now. And I have no idea what a 20-1 positive ratio would even mean if you aren't doing both. But if there's a 20-1 positive ratio on anything in baseball, the 1 will become extinct overnight. I think it's this -- they don't want to bunt. It's significantly more philosophy than math.

Pharm Frog

That heckler unfortunately rarely misses a game. He is awful. Sorry about him.

Let's be real, the Missouri Valley is a lesser conference than the Big 12 and the Bears have played a weaker schedule than TCU, as evidenced by the RPI differential. The teams' season stats are otherwise very close, so an unbiased and reasonable comment is that TCU and MSU have performed about even but TCU against better opposition, on average. No one can reasonably disagree with this. If that's the point the TCU fans were making, even in a dumbed-down way, it's not wrong. The point of a 3-game series is to hopefully identify the better team. We'll find out. Don't get your panties in a wad when people point out the obvious though. The comparison to TCU football is naive. MSU is getting the opportunity to play for it all. TCU football didn't get that opportunity in 2009-10. Like MSU baseball now, TCU went out in that era and tried to play good games out of conference to position for the postseason. The difference is MSU baseball gets into the big baseball dance. TCU football got snubbed from playing for a title. Significant difference, and a lot of TCU fans both get that and have strong feelings about it.

The comparison between the sports of college baseball and football itself is inherently naive in all facets. There is no metaphor there except for the team with the highest output at the end of the game wins.

LisaLT

Hoping for a big win today. I want to see some Aaron Judge-like smashes out there from the Frogs!

Good way to end the weekend :)

Never seen a team be aggressive on the bases and be able to bunt I guess. I think that bunting has been shown to put plenty of pressure on our D for awhile now. And I have no idea what a 20-1 positive ratio would even mean if you aren't doing both. But if there's a 20-1 positive ratio on anything in baseball, the 1 will become extinct overnight. I think it's this -- they don't want to bunt. It's significantly more philosophy than math.

You're right, Schloss is full of [ Finebaum ].