• The KillerFrogs

TCU Super Regional

texasrobster1997

Inappropriate comments should never be tolerated in any setting of any sport. That being said...I often think the fans (usually older) who lecture people on the woo or harmless chirping are the ones being obnoxious. It's like the next door neighbor yelling at my three year old when the frisbee lands in his lawn. Get...over...it...

GoFrog Yourself

This is sarcasm, right?

Frankly, I thought our crowd was pretty half-assed yesterday considering the magnitude of the game (until jack wagon decided to show up the umpire)

I've said it before, we don't have a strong home field advantage at Lupton because of our neat scoreboard. It's because a) our team has been really good and b) it gets loud in that place.

Bring it today! #Louder
Attempting to get into the heads of the opposing team should always be part of homefield advantage. Getting on their catcher for past balls, their shortstop for tossing the bat twice on strike calls, heckling guys in the bullpen (always a fan of this) - all three are things that the crowd should react to and get in to. Random inappropriate comments are another thing, but are part of sports and typically just make the person making the comment look like a jackass. I'm neutral on the woo, mostly because it's starting to get overused. I'm sure opposing fans and players hate it, though, so as long as it's effective I'm good with it.

In sum, best practice is to keep the comments (mostly) clean, and the more creative the heckling the better.

GoFrog Yourself

Didn't see it well from my seat but didn't he also throw out Brown stealing third from his knees? Brown appeared to have a great jump.
He did, and he also threw high on Merrill stealing second where a good throw would have gotten him. Dude had an up and down day but has a good arm

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Had pretty good seats last night...

2B1F926D-934A-4A69-8501-E38C63A8B0BD_zpsmbso2txu.jpg

Saved your pic,
As part of the saving process it asks if I want to Enhance prior to Saving.
I click Yes.
Phone clunka-clunks a few times then says Unable to Enhance.
Duh.
Save completed.

westtexfrog

I watched the game and came away with a totally different impression. I saw a whiney lot that acted like they've never played a game with real life umpires before.

I've also never seen a home plate ump put up with that much jaw jacking without getting control of it quickly. He didn't do anything about it all night.
....and that it what I was expecting, a bunch of whining bs but that's now how they were. Attribute game actions to being fiercely competitive and the heat of the battle.

Brog

As a long time Frog fan, this is right on. When TCU opponents are getting beat, this is a common theme - "this is a Christian school?" Mostly comes from older white haired ladies with tightly permed hairdo's. Apparently they are expecting us to turn the other cheek in an athletic competition.

Please, please, I entreat you. Do NOT refer disparagingly to "older white haired ladies with tightly permed hairdos." I know at least one of those who could give you a good run.

OldSchoolFrog

This is sarcasm, right?

Frankly, I thought our crowd was pretty half-assed yesterday considering the magnitude of the game (until jack wagon decided to show up the umpire)

I've said it before, we don't have a strong home field advantage at Lupton because of our neat scoreboard. It's because a) our team has been really good and b) it gets loud in that place.

Bring it today! #Louder

Agree, the crowd was very quiet for some long stretches of the game. Listening to the replay today, you can hear a lot of chirping that was amplified because it was near a field mike. I wish they had a field mike down in the bullpen patio....

Wait, maybe not.

This is not just TCU baseball where this happens. It happens at every TCU sport, and inevitably someone thinks that loud and somewhat obnoxious (obnoxious as in, it wouldn't be appropriate at a golf tourney for example), is not classy or a bad thing. I find it even funnier that the best heckles seem to some from the ex-Lettermen.

In any event, let's try and stay loud the whole game. That's the best way to drown out a few individual yellers, stay loud for 9 innings.

Rules of Scientific Heckling

by The Iron Lung of Shibe Park

#Rule

1.No profanity.

2.Nothing purely personal.

3.Keep pouring it on.

4.Know your players.

5.Don't be shouted down.

6.Take it as well as give it.

7.Give the old-timer a chance - he was a rookie once.

Rules of Scientific Heckling by The Iron Lung of Shibe Park

Purp

He did, and he also threw high on Merrill stealing second where a good throw would have gotten him. Dude had an up and down day but has a good arm
I was going to pretty much the same thing. The kid has some obvious talent with those throws, but there were a lot of balls that hit the mitt and landed on the ground. He also had a rough time with a few in the dirt that shouldn't have beaten him so badly.

tcumaniac

I never saw it discussed on here, but who else noticed what was going on immediately after Skoug's HR?

The players in the MSU dugout were jerking each other off, convinced that skoug had missed first base as he was rounding the bases. They were all jumping around like a bunch of little girls pointing at first, shouting at their pitcher to throw it to first to get Evan out and eliminate his run.

The pitcher finally throws it to first, followed by the entire MSU dugout jizzing all over each other in excitement, only for the umpire to give the safe sign and confirm Skoug touched the base.