• The KillerFrogs

TCU recruiting

West Coast Johnny

I got bored at work today, so I looked at how we are recruiting head to head against some of our rival universities. Here is how we are doing when a recruit has a choice between going to TCU and (for example Baylor). There are six kids that chose between TCU & Baylor. 5 chose TCU, so we are 5-1 against Baylor. I don't know why we don't have better results against OSU. Against Texas & OU , we're an o-fer. That has to change if we won't to be a national power for the long haul.

TCU 5 Baylor 1
TCU 2 OSU 4
TCU 2 SMU 0
TCU 3 Houston 0
TCU 4 Tech 3
TCU 1 Arkansas 2
TCU 2 TAMU 2
TCU 0 Texas 7
TCU 0 Oklahoma 3

PurplePutt

I got bored at work today, so I looked at how we are recruiting head to head against some of our rival universities. Here is how we are doing when a recruit has a choice between going to TCU and (for example Baylor). There are six kids that chose between TCU & Baylor. 5 chose TCU, so we are 5-1 against Baylor. I don't know why we don't have better results against OSU. Against Texas & OU , we're an o-fer. That has to change if we won't to be a national power for the long haul.

TCU 5 Baylor 1
TCU 2 OSU 4
TCU 2 SMU 0
TCU 3 Houston 0
TCU 4 Tech 3
TCU 1 Arkansas 2
TCU 2 TAMU 2
TCU 0 Texas 7
TCU 0 Oklahoma 3

I've looked that up before too. Not sure we will ever beat out UT on too many. I am convinced that they seldom show an offer for someone that will not commit on the spot. In any case though, not sure that their players turn out to be any better than ours, for the most part. They may be the ones getting the hype in HS but Patterson and his staff are master evaluators and developers of talent and potental.

West Coast Johnny

I've looked that up before too. Not sure we will ever beat out UT on too many. I am convinced that they seldom show an offer for someone that will not commit on the spot. In any case though, not sure that their players turn out to be any better than ours, for the most part. They may be the ones getting the hype in HS but Patterson and his staff are master evaluators and developers of talent and potental.

Yea, Texas doesn't give out written offers until they are sure they will be accepted. A few of our kids probably could have gotten offers out of Texas had they shown more interest. Jeremy Kerely, Tanner Brock & Kolby Griffin come to mind.

Froggy Style

That has to change if we won't to be a national power for the long haul.

Wrong. The difference in the top receiver and the second or fifth best receiver is minimal and maybe not accurate to reality in 3 to 4 years. Texas has had their pick of the litter for at least 7 years, maybe 10. I don't think there is one person on their offense I would take over our starters. So, what does that tell you about the recruits? Nothing, it says that we know how to evaluate, coach, AND develop our talent.

PhillyFrog

Weird, it seems that we've done better lately against Stoops than Pickens. Sooners wanted Blake Roberts pretty badly.

TCU can build a dynasty by recruiting all but Longhorn types. Prima and Donna don't win, they wilt. Just a big bunch of bubble boys if you ask me.

West Coast Johnny

I don't think there is one person on their offense I would take over our starters. So, what does that tell you about the recruits? Nothing, it says that we know how to evaluate, coach, AND develop our talent.

Well, the only person whos oppinion matters is Gary Patterson, and he loves the kids that choose Texas. Why else would he offer so many of them? Its naive to believe that we can compete for National Championships for the long haul without the best availalbe players. There are two things you need to have a successful football team: Coaching and Tallent. To be the best, we need the best. I'm confident that we will begin to win some of these battles.

TCU recruits that chose Texas:
2011 - 7
2010 - 9
2009 - 6

njustus7

Guys, we're beating them as a non-AQ, give us an AQ in any conference and the recruits will start to defect from UT, OU, and Ok St - this is what gives them nightmares at night and why they are adamently against us joining the big 1-2

West Coast Johnny

Guys, we're beating them as a non-AQ, give us an AQ in any conference and the recruits will start to defect from UT, OU, and Ok St - this is what gives them nightmares at night and why they are adamently against us joining the big 1-2

The non-AQ excuse is getting stale. We need to beat them on and off the field regardless of conference affiliation.

frogs001

With the backs we have and the plan to run the ball, even when it is not working (BYU). I want to know if the big time OL recruits lean more to TCU than the spread offense run by everyone in college these days? The big boys like to run block and TCU is the place to do it. I think TCU will have its pick of the best OL in the near and distant future.

njustus7

The non-AQ excuse is getting stale. We need to beat them on and off the field regardless of conference affiliation.
But we already do, and I'm not saying their recruits are any better when they graduate either. Neither am I saying the stale argument of "look at what we do with 3 star recruits, just think what we could do with 5 stars!" - which I disagree with. I just think like 80% that choose these schools do so b/c of the AQ argument, take that away and we have more depth - that's all.

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
Don't you think we need more of the best players available to get to where we won't to go?

I think you are ignoring one of the key reasons they pick UT over TCU. They are told they are going to have to put in the work at TCU from day 1 and no one is promised anything, that isn't necessarily the case at UT.

Not saying all the athletes at UT are lazy and would have loved to have gotten the Acho brothers especially but for the most part CGP may want the athletes, but he wants them with a different attitude than they have entering the UT program.