• The KillerFrogs

TCU recruiting

Mike Brooks

UT with 2 conference titles since Big 12 inception with ALL that talent! Dam...

Fiesty has this one right. Looking for the "Ignore" button for WCJ.

West Coast Johnny

UT with 2 conference titles since Big 12 inception with ALL that talent! Dam...

Fiesty has this one right. Looking for the "Ignore" button for WCJ.

All I did was point out that we can and should be winning future recruiting wars with the Univ. of Texas. Gary Patterson obviously agrees with me because or else why would he be offering so many of the kids that end up at the Univ of Texas? And you don't have to get all butt-hurt about it.

Froggy Style

West Coast. If you're going to fret about the offer data that rivals is giving you because an offer doesn't 'currently' exist...are you going to keep your head in the sound about Mack's process of not offering if they won't say yes on the spot? With that "process", the number will always have a zero in the TCU column, when it should really should be 7-2 or 3. So, if you have better coaching and development, I'm not sure what the fretting is about, especially when the difference between recruits is very small. Just because the difference between four stars and three stars is 25% star droppoff, doesn't actually mean there is that actual large difference if there was any to begin with.

RufeBruton

Weird, it seems that we've done better lately against Stoops than Pickens. Sooners wanted Blake Roberts pretty badly.

TCU can build a dynasty by recruiting all but Longhorn types. Prima and Donna don't win, they wilt. Just a big bunch of bubble boys if you ask me.

Is "bubble boys" the same as teletubbies?

PurplePutt

But we already do, and I'm not saying their recruits are any better when they graduate either. Neither am I saying the stale argument of "look at what we do with 3 star recruits, just think what we could do with 5 stars!" - which I disagree with. I just think like 80% that choose these schools do so b/c of the AQ argument, take that away and we have more depth - that's all.

You actually think that there is a huge difference between 3/4 stars and 5 stars? I would be willing to bet that some of the 3 stars GP finds and develops out perform many of the HS prima donnas that get the 5 star label. Hell, Bobby Bowden even admitted that he and FSU lost their focus when they started believing the hype and started chasing the stars a player had instead of finding the right players.

It is true that many of the top ranked recruits are pretty much fully developed physically. Texas rakes them in. The ones that can play get to play (Jeffcoat) and the ones who can't ride the pine. No telling what GP could do with some of those specimens but like Feisty said--they won't get any special treatment from GP and they will have to work hard to play.

njustus7

You actually think that their is a huge difference between 3/4 stars and 5 stars? I would be willing to bet that some of the 3 stars GP finds and develops out perform many of the HS prima donnas that get the 5 star label. Hell, Bobby Bowden even admitted that he and FSU lost their focus when they started believing the hype and started chasing the stars a player had instead of finding the right players.
I'm saying there is very little difference, and that often times our three star recruits end up better than UT's five stars. And not just b/c CGP is a great coach and we have a world class weigh program - b/c they are actually better regardless of what star ranking scout or rivals gives them....

FROGDADDY

And not just b/c CGP is a great coach and we have a world class weigh program - b/c they are actually better regardless of what star ranking scout or rivals gives them....

I agree. I think this is one of the reasons that GP is hesitant to leave TCU for one of the supposed bigger programs. At TCU he can recruit the types of players he wants without worrying how the fans will react if they aren't 4 or 5 star recruits. At a place like UT you better go out and get the 4 and 5 star recruits, regardless of whether you think they're really that good or fit into your program, or the fans are going to have a heart attack.

West Coast Johnny

West Coast. If you're going to fret about the offer data that rivals is giving you because an offer doesn't 'currently' exist...are you going to keep your head in the sound about Mack's process of not offering if they won't say yes on the spot? With that "process", the number will always have a zero in the TCU column, when it should really should be 7-2 or 3. So, if you have better coaching and development, I'm not sure what the fretting is about, especially when the difference between recruits is very small. Just because the difference between four stars and three stars is 25% star droppoff, doesn't actually mean there is that actual large difference if there was any to begin with.

The point of this thread was to show that we are doing well against most teams recruiting wise, but it would be nice to get some players like Jackson Jeffcoat, Tevin Mimms, Darius White, and many others that Gary Patterson wanted but didn't get. UT is not as good as TCU is right now, but IMO, that is not because their recruiting classes are poor. Its because they are being coached by Mack Brown at UT versus Gary Patterson at TCU. Gary wanted these kids, so I conclude they are very good players.

West Coast Johnny

The point of this thread was to show that we are doing well against most teams recruiting wise, but it would be nice to get some players like Jackson Jeffcoat, Tevin Mimms, Darius White, and many others that Gary Patterson wanted but didn't get. UT is not as good as TCU is right now, but IMO, that is not because their recruiting classes are poor. Its because they are being coached by Mack Brown at UT versus Gary Patterson at TCU. Gary wanted these kids, so I conclude they are very good players.