• The KillerFrogs

TCU Men's Tennis 2022-23

Longfrog

Shouldn't the 18th-ranked team have had to beat a better team to get through to R16?

But I get it. In hoops, the R32 game should have you up against an 8/9 seed, which means you don't get anyone better than 30th overall. It's like getting a 1/5 matchup in round 2.
There are 16 hosts. So at #18, a&m was the 2nd best non-host team. They shouldn't be placed in the #2 team's pod. Caveat that ncaa doesn't go by ita rankings, so they may not consider a&m to be that strong.

Here are the top 8 seeds with the highest ranked teams in their pod:

#1 UT // #32 Pepperdine
#2 TCU // #18 A&M
#3 OSU // #31 TX Tech
#4 Kentucky // #28 Northwestern
#5 UVA // #26 Ole Miss
#6 UGA // #25 NC State
#7 Michigan // #29 Cal
#8 Tennessee // #22 Wake

There are 16 hosts. So at #18, a&m was the 2nd best non-host team. They shouldn't be placed in the #2 team's pod. Caveat that ncaa doesn't go by ita rankings, so they may not consider a&m to be that strong.

Here are the top 8 seeds with the highest ranked teams in their pod:

#1 UT // #32 Pepperdine
#2 TCU // #18 A&M
#3 OSU // #31 TX Tech
#4 Kentucky // #28 Northwestern
#5 UVA // #26 Ole Miss
#6 UGA // #25 NC State
#7 Michigan // #29 Cal
#8 Tennessee // #22 Wake
Note the two teams that received favoritism were the two mighty ones from the Big Ten, Ohio State and especially Michigan, at the expense of TCU ;). Texas Tech in Fort Worth would have the same geographic sense as Aggie in Fort Worth. Aggie could have then gone to Michigan and Cal to Ohio State to make the pairings match better, according to the ITA rankings.

TCU earns the #2 national seed but doesn’t get treated that way on the first weekend. But as Longfrog notes, the selection committee may have these teams ranked differently.

I am not complaining, just poking a bit for fun because it is the Big Ten teams that happen to stand out here as getting the favored matchups, by the ITA numbering.

Last edited:

Longfrog

They wouldn't send Tech to FW since it's the same conference. And they try to minimize travel so that limits the options. But honestly there isn't much difference b/w a&m and northwestern, so i probably shouldn't get too worked up over it.

This is a great four-team Texas pod at the Horned Frogs’ beautiful tennis courts, to begin the 64-team tournament that may end with a TCU national championship. It kicks off with SMU vs Aggies on Friday at 2 PM. The Frogs should then take care of business vs UTA at 5 PM and then have the always sweet opportunity to beat either the Aggies or SMU on Saturday at 4 PM. We hope there is no Saturday rain.

Last edited:
I see Fomba is not playing today, and Pinnington only doubles. I assume they are healthy and this is simply rest while Maxted and Jirousek log singles matches in the NCAA tournament?

I think it is a bit of an advantage for the Aggie players to now watch and game-plan for their TCU opponents tomorrow with nothing else on their minds after already taking care of business. So not exposing Fomba and Pinnington helps TCU a bit? In that regard, seems the top seed should have played first today, but it is better for the home crowd if TCU gets the evening match. And the Frogs do have the home court advantage.

Frogs won the doubles point and are up early in all first set singles.

Last edited:

Latest posts