• The KillerFrogs

TCU Men's Tennis 2022-23

The Frogs didn’t capture the anticipated doubles point and that stung today. They won #3 doubles but were just a bit short at #2 doubles which was decided in a tiebreaker 7-6 (7-5). Fearnley and Fomba were anticipated to win at #1, but doubles play is only one quick set for each pairing and that win didn’t happen today.

Yes, the match was a 4-0 loss, but if the Frogs had won the doubles point, then the final three singles matches at #2, #3 and #4 play on. TCU had won the first set in all three of those and was on-serve in two of the second sets; I think Jong was down a break, 2-3, in the other 2nd set. The humid heat may have worked to the Frog’s advantage with any of those three moving on to a third set.

I suspect Fearnley was favored to win a tight match at #1 singles, but I am not well studied on this like a few here are.

I understand this team had the makeup to win a national championship so coming up short is disappointing, but only one team can win it all. This was another great season from the players, Coach David Roditi and his staff of Devin Bowen, Nick Chappell and Jonathan Pham.

#5 Virginia upset the #1 Longhorns, 4-1, so like last year, the Cavaliers are surprising again and might successfully defend their championship tomorrow.

Last edited:
#5 Virginia defeated #3 Ohio State yesterday and defended their championship, having won it last year as the #7 ranked team. They have won six of the last ten.

USC, UCLA and Stanford are the historical dynasties with 21, 16 and 17 championships, respectively, since 1946, but recently it is Virginia.

Last edited: