• The KillerFrogs

TCU Men's Tennis 2022-23

FrogUltimate

Is this thread dead? Not sure if I need to keep posting to myself....

The final professional Federer match will take place today, where he will play doubles with Nadal. Iconic. Match will be around 2pm or so.

In Frog tennis, I think something is up with Pinnington. The TCU Tennis twitter has specifically called out the TCU players playing in the Futures tournament in Arkansas this week, but specifically not mentioning Pinnington who is the #1 seed and won his first two matches. I wonder if he's pivoting to going pro or having eligibility issues or something.

Longfrog

Is this thread dead? Not sure if I need to keep posting to myself....

The final professional Federer match will take place today, where he will play doubles with Nadal. Iconic. Match will be around 2pm or so.

In Frog tennis, I think something is up with Pinnington. The TCU Tennis twitter has specifically called out the TCU players playing in the Futures tournament in Arkansas this week, but specifically not mentioning Pinnington who is the #1 seed and won his first two matches. I wonder if he's pivoting to going pro or having eligibility issues or something.
Not dead. Speaking for myself, was tied up with work and the pro side seemed a little quiet post-Open. But I noticed the same thing about Pinnington, and yes I'm worried. The whole thing has been weird from the get go. Would they have even announced him committing if Norrie hadn't inadvertently forced them to? Then he's entered into the All-American tournament but treated like a 2nd class citizen having to go through pre-qualifying. ITA lists their top newcomers... Gorzny is #5 in the country but Pinnington who has the highest UTR of any player in college regardless of experience is nowhere to be found. And like you said, TCU media totally ignores him.

Without him, our team is very good. With him, we're elite.

Last edited:

Longfrog

In other news, half the team is in San Francisco playing a college tourney. Fomba and Fearnley are in the semis in singles as the #1 & #5 seeds respectively. They're also in the semis of doubles as the top seeded team. Maxted and Vives each lost their 1st round matches against seeded players, and they also dropped their doubles match.

FrogUltimate

Not dead. Speaking for myself, was tied up with work and the pro side seemed a little quiet post-Open. But I noticed the same thing about Pinnington, and yes I'm worried. The whole thing has been weird from the get go. Would they have even announced him committing if Norrie hadn't inadvertently forced them to? Then he's entered into the All-American tournament but treated like a 2nd class citizen having to go through pre-qualifying. ITA lists their top newcomers... Gorzny is #5 in the country but Pinnington who has the highest UTR of any player in college regardless of experience is nowhere to be found. And like you said, TCU media totally ignores him.

Without him, our team is very good. With him, we're elite.

Gotcha. I'll keep posting for a while and see if there's continued traction.

Yeh I think Pinnington is either not showing up or stuck in some kind of eligibility hell. But it's weird because he's on our roster still on GoFrogs. And if he wasn't showing up, you also wouldn't expect him to be playing a Futures tournament in Arkansas with mostly college kids. You'd expect him to remain in the UK and go that route.... plenty of tournaments around that area as Gray has shown. It really doesn't make any sense. Speaking of, he was the #1 seed in the Futures but got beat by Riffice in three sets (played for Florida, huge career, believe ended up top 10 last year in college and made semis of the singles tournament).

Completely agree with your take... without Pinnington we are good, but probably not a contender for a title. With him and we are clearly a top 2 or 3 contender.

FrogUltimate

Given lack of professional interest, I won't spend much time posting but a lot of really cool Norrie stuff from the Laver Cup. He gets to say he was on team Europe with Fed, Nadal and Djokovic in their last time together, ever and on hand for Fed's last match. So if you are so inclined, go check it out. Probably the coolest tennis thing of the year for me.

Longfrog

My optimistic take on Pinnington is that we're just trying to slow roll it so he doesn't attract more attention/resentment from other programs that might have some say in whether he stays eligible. I'm not sure that explanation makes a ton of sense but neither does anything else. I'll feel much better this time next week if he's gotten a few pre-qualifying matches under his belt in the Tulsa event.

And yeah, I think there are positives to take from the Little Rock tournament, which was his first one in several months. Dropping a 3 setter to Riffice would be a decent result for any college kid, much less one that probably had some rust in his game.

FrogUltimate

My optimistic take on Pinnington is that we're just trying to slow roll it so he doesn't attract more attention/resentment from other programs that might have some say in whether he stays eligible. I'm not sure that explanation makes a ton of sense but neither does anything else. I'll feel much better this time next week if he's gotten a few pre-qualifying matches under his belt in the Tulsa event.

And yeah, I think there are positives to take from the Little Rock tournament, which was his first one in several months. Dropping a 3 setter to Riffice would be a decent result for any college kid, much less one that probably had some rust in his game.

Can you keep the thread updated on the Tulsa tournament? Very curious if he plays

Just looked and Riffice won the tournament really easily. Pinnington was easily his most difficult match. He steamrolled everyone but Pinnington

Longfrog

Wouldn't that indicate an eligibility issue? If so, what kind of eligibility issues could he be dealing with?
It doesn't seem good. I have no inside info or knowledge of the ins and outs of eligibility. But the top ranked recruit last year by UTR was a guy from France who signed with Florida State. He was deemed ineligible and basically just spent the year playing futures and challengers around the Tallahassee area. He's still on their roster and on the participant list for this tournament in Tulsa next week.

The only thing I could find hunting around was someone saying he might have signed with an agent in Europe and received a signing bonus. But that seemed like pure speculation.

I would add that it's possible Roditi told him he doesn't need to play these fall ITA events. I don't think Norrie did in his last year or two with us. I'm sure he'd rather be playing futures tourneys and collecting ATP points. Fearnley won that tournament in San Francisco last week and got a wild card into a futures event for it. Pinnington's ranking is already high enough that he doesn't need that.

Longfrog

Do y’all want me to knock on Roditi’s door and ask him about Pennington? I’m sure that’s acceptable protocol.
Yes! I've thought many times over the years how jealous the football/basketball coaches must be of these other coaches that don't have to face the media on a regular basis. High time to ask Roditi some hard hitting questions.

And while you're there asking uncomfortable questions, see whether he got asked to tour with Norrie first or if Lugones was the choice from the get go.