• The KillerFrogs

TCU Men's Tennis 2021-2022

Longfrog

With this win, TCU opens up a huge 7 point gap in the computer rankings over #2 Ohio State. Playing around with scenarios, as long as we avoid a loss to one of the Oklahoma schools, there's no way Florida or Ohio State can make up the gap. That's even if we lose to Baylor or UT in the conference tournament. And even if we do get upset by OU or Ok State, if we then beat Baylor in the Big 12 tourney we would also likely be the top seed.

Thankfully after today, we know that we can actually win a dual while ranked #1.

Longfrog

1. We're about to start conference play and still have not found a #3 doubles team. It's amazing we can't find a winning pair from among Aguilar/Ruehl/Vives. The #1 & 2 teams have been too good and it's too late to reshuffle. Guess we'll just cross our fingers and hope they figure something out.

One positive development is the Aguilar/Vives team has looked good at #3 doubles. 6-3 over Baylor and 6-1 over UT. Unfortunately the Jong/Maxted pairing has started to take on a little water, but overall I feel better knowing we have a good shot on all 3 courts. If they keep this up, it probably means Ruehl is sidelined completely when we aren't celebrating him on Senior Day, but it is what it is.

JogginFrog

Was thinking today about Michigan’s resume and I think I side w Jared. Three great wins but that’s it, plus 2 losses that are worse than any of ours. We’ve got 7 wins vs top 11 and no bad losses.

But I’d really like to avoid them in May.
Hey, it wasn't TCU that created the argument about the importance of extra data point(s). That was a Big 10 thing. I think they have to live with it.

Longfrog

Hey, it wasn't TCU that created the argument about the importance of extra data point(s). That was a Big 10 thing. I think they have to live with it.
Michigan had an easy way to get some extra data points. When you lose on kickoff weekend, it puts you in a big hole that's hard to dig out of. Same thing happened to TCU in 2017, which was probably our best team ever 1 through 6. That team lost a total of 2 points in sweeping the Big 12 and won the conference tournament easily. But it was only good enough for the #6 seed at nationals.

Last edited:

Jared7

Cam Norrie is the 7th seed at Monte Carlo this week on clay.

Baylor beat OU yesterday 6-1 and is now clearly in 2nd place in the Big 12. But the Frogs can clinch at least a share of the regular season championship with a W over Oklahoma State on Thursday in Stillwater.

Alex Rybakov is at the Sarasota Challenger and is into a qualifying final today against Rinky Hijikata. Also on clay.

Jared7

Hijikata is a 21-year-old Aussie and a former UNC Tarheel, with an ATP ranking of #259. He also played rugby, swam and played soccer at UNC. This will be a very tough match for Rybo to qualify for the main draw. They're warming up now...

FrogUltimate

Hijikata is a 21-year-old Aussie and a former UNC Tarheel, with an ATP ranking of #259. He also played rugby, swam and played soccer at UNC. This will be a very tough match for Rybo to qualify for the main draw. They're warming up now...
I've got it on..... they are 20 minutes into the match and the score is still 1-0.... back and forth in really long first two games.