• The KillerFrogs

TCU Men's Tennis 2021-2022

FrogUltimate

It's official - TCU is back to #1 in the ITA Rankings. But the USTA poll has us at #4, behind Florida, Ohio State and Michigan.

If I was creating the rankings, I'd have Michigan #1, TCU #2. After those two, would be a clear drop to Ohio State, Florida, Baylor and Tennessee.

Jared7

If I was creating the rankings, I'd have Michigan #1, TCU #2. After those two, would be a clear drop to Ohio State, Florida, Baylor and Tennessee.
Michigan's argument is strong because they have 3 big W's - 4-1 over us, and 4-0 over Ohio State and Baylor, all on the road. But because they didn't go to the Indoors, their overall schedule isn't all that impressive. Their next most eye-catching W is Columbia or maybe Northwestern, who they just beat 5-2 in Evanston. Their L's were to Wake and Harvard. They've got Ohio State again at home on 4/15.

But I'm like peace and purp (TCU as #1) - which is why I don't have anything to do with it.

Longfrog

Was thinking today about Michigan’s resume and I think I side w Jared. Three great wins but that’s it, plus 2 losses that are worse than any of ours. We’ve got 7 wins vs top 11 and no bad losses.

But I’d really like to avoid them in May.

Jared7

Here's the full list for the latest rankings:

1. TCU
2. Ohio State (W)
3. Florida (W)
4. Baylor (W; L)
5. Tennessee (W; L)
6. Michigan (L)
7. Wake
8. Virginia (W; W)
9. South Carolina
10. Georgia
11. Texas (W; next on Saturday)
12. Kentucky
13. Arizona
14. Stanford
15. USC
16. Harvard
17. North Carolina
18. Middle Tennessee State
19. Duke
20. San Diego
21. NC State
22. Pepperdine
23. Columbia
24. A&M
25. Louisville
30. Mississippi State (W)
31. SMU (W)
34. Oklahoma (on our schedule)
35. Mississippi (W)
40. Tulsa (W)
42. Tech (W)
44. Oklahoma State (on our schedule)
48. UCLA (W)
51. USF (W)
53. Illinois (W)
64. Tulane (W)

long is right - Michigan's W's over the Buckeyes and Bears were at home. As of now, it looks like we'll play OU and either of Texas or Baylor in the Big 12 tourney, but that could change... There will be 64 bids to the NCAA's but that doesn't mean the Top 64 in the rankings because of the automatic bids for many conferences. The usual cut-off is similar to basketball and baseball - somewhere around 40-44 - so teams like Tulsa, Tech and Oklahoma State are kind of on the bubble at present.

Last edited:

Jared7

It's probably not all that necessary to preview Texas because we know them well and play them often, but here goes. The 11th ranked Longhorns are 13-8 on the season, with W's over UTSA, Arizona State, Columbia, Oregon, Rice, UCF, Florida, A&M, USC, Pepperdine, Oklahoma, Tech and UTRGV and L's to Florida, Arizona, Baylor, TCU, Wake, Georgia, Ohio State and Baylor (again). There's some good W's in there (especially Florida) and no real bad L's (although there are a lot of them) and they've been hovering right out of the Top 10 most of the season. They are very talented, but they had a few early season injuries and their results are borderline elite, but if they've truly recovered, they could be very dangerous. Texas leads the all-time series 30-23, but the Frogs have won the last 2 straight and 6 of the last 8. They last beat us in 2019 when they won the national championship. We beat them 4-0 in Seattle in the quarters of the Indoors with W's in doubles and in singles from Aguilar, Jong and Vives, but it was much closer than the score indicated. They were playing a weird line-up (Braswell, Bailly, Ciamarra, Spizzirri, Woldeab and Harper) - they've since moved Spizzirri and Woldeab back up but have mostly stuck with Braswell and Bailly at #1 and #2. They were swamped by Baylor 6-0 but bounced back to sweep Tech (7-0) and UTRGV (4-0). We should be favored but they're certainly capable of a W.

It's scheduled for 3:00 p.m. (CDT) on Saturday at the tennis center.

Longfrog

UT hasn't really recovered from Spizzirri's injury. He looked like a top 5 player in the country coming into the year, but from what I understand the injury had him hitting exclusively slice backhands to start the season. He's won his last 7 decisions, so maybe that's changed. But Bailly at #2 has lost 2 of 3 since returning from injury. So it seems like they're still not 100% healthy.

I'll be interested to see who we put at the bottom of our lineup. Assuming Vives is able to go, I expect to see Jirousek at 5 and Vives at 6. It puts less pressure on Vives and it gets better matchups with UT imo. Woldeab at 5 has a big game but makes lots of mistakes, so I like having a consistent baseliner there. Harper at 6 is a monster, so I'd like to roll the dice with Vives and hope he's back to 100%.

Jared7

Tomorrow is apparently going to be a big party at the tennis center for Senior Day. Events will start at 2:00 p.m. (CDT) and will include an Easter egg roll, glitter tattoos, free pizza and more and appears to be deliberately designed to be kid-friendly. So if you've ever considered going out to see the Frogs play in tennis (and taking the kids), tomorrow will be an excellent day to do it. We're #1 in the country; we're honoring Aguilar and Ruehl and it's Texas in the last regular season home match of the year.

And we're projected to be #1 by CTR next week as well as the ITA moves to include the Top 9 W's. We really need a W over Texas though, so that we'll have at least 8 Top 11 W's and continue setting a strong pace. Looking at the projections, it shows why teams want to play us and why Roditi likes to and does in fact play such a strong schedule each year. Baylor, Tennessee and Michigan all have road W's over us and those W's earn them 116.6 points, which dwarfs, by far, any other match they've won in terms of points. One could argue that their W's over TCU are the main reason they're ranked so high (4th, 5th and 6th respectively). Teams want to play TCU (in Ft. Worth) because of the opportunity to earn oodles of points. Although we might not be #1 next year, this process sort of repeats itself every season, because Roditi's teams are so consistently competitive.

We'll be hosting the Big 12 tourney this year and we'll likely host a regional in the NCAA's (and possibly a super as well), so they'll be more opportunities to see the Frogs at home, but we need a big crowd tomorrow to help us beat Texas.

Purp

Tomorrow is apparently going to be a big party at the tennis center for Senior Day. Events will start at 2:00 p.m. (CDT) and will include an Easter egg roll, glitter tattoos, free pizza and more and appears to be deliberately designed to be kid-friendly. So if you've ever considered going out to see the Frogs play in tennis (and taking the kids), tomorrow will be an excellent day to do it. We're #1 in the country; we're honoring Aguilar and Ruehl and it's Texas in the last regular season home match of the year.

And we're projected to be #1 by CTR next week as well as the ITA moves to include the Top 9 W's. We really need a W over Texas though, so that we'll have at least 8 Top 11 W's and continue setting a strong pace. Looking at the projections, it shows why teams want to play us and why Roditi likes to and does in fact play such a strong schedule each year. Baylor, Tennessee and Michigan all have road W's over us and those W's earn them 116.6 points, which dwarfs, by far, any other match they've won in terms of points. One could argue that their W's over TCU are the main reason they're ranked so high (4th, 5th and 6th respectively). Teams want to play TCU (in Ft. Worth) because of the opportunity to earn oodles of points. Although we might not be #1 next year, this process sort of repeats itself every season, because Roditi's teams are so consistently competitive.

We'll be hosting the Big 12 tourney this year and we'll likely host a regional in the NCAA's (and possibly a super as well), so they'll be more opportunities to see the Frogs at home, but we need a big crowd tomorrow to help us beat Texas.
I'd love to come, but we have kids' soccer and baseball wall to wall from 8:30 to 5pm tomorrow. It's unpossible for us until soccer season ends tomorrow and the baseball schedule gives us an opening.