• The KillerFrogs

TCU Men's Tennis 2021-2022

FrogUltimate

Major freeze up there on break point to level the set from Norrie. Missed a routine forehand with a shank

And another forehand missed on break point

Norrie saves a set point by a miracle volley (had followed an atrocious volley) and then breaks. He returned super well that game.

gets broken and loses 1st set 4-6. Ugly last game on serve. Missed two forehands had no business missing.

Last edited:

FrogUltimate

Norrie is up a break 3-2 in the 2nd set. He's been the better player since end of 1st set. I'd call this peak Norrie

Just as I type that Norrie goes from being up 40-0 in his service game to consolidate break to playing five bad points in a row to get broken. 3-3

Jared7

Postseason play will commence at 5:00 p.m. tomorrow when the Frogs host the Ft. Worth regional with matches between TCU and Drake and Utah and Mississppi. This is TCU's 7th consecutive NCAA tourney and we've hosted and advanced each time. But in 2013, we were upset in the first round by Drake, who we happen to be playing in the first round. This is our 32nd NCAA appearance and we've made 4 Final 4's but lately, we've been topping out at the Elite 8 level. Hopefully, the top seed will make our path less difficult.

Following the team tourney, the individual singles and doubles tourneys will be played. TCU has 5 players selected to compete - in singles, Luc Fomba and Juan Carlos Aguilar - and in doubles, Fomba/Fearnley and Jong/Maxted. In fact, Fomba and Fearnley are the top seed in doubles; this is the best ever TCU doubles ranking, topping David Roditi and Paul Robinson who were 2nd in 1995. Fomba, Fearnley and Aguilar are therefore automatic All-American status. Jong and Maxted will earn that if they make the quarters or stay in the ITA Top 10.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Postseason play will commence at 5:00 p.m. tomorrow when the Frogs host the Ft. Worth regional with matches between TCU and Drake and Utah and Mississppi. This is TCU's 7th consecutive NCAA tourney and we've hosted and advanced each time. But in 2013, we were upset in the first round by Drake, who we happen to be playing in the first round. This is our 32nd NCAA appearance and we've made 4 Final 4's but lately, we've been topping out at the Elite 8 level. Hopefully, the top seed will make our path less difficult.

Following the team tourney, the individual singles and doubles tourneys will be played. TCU has 5 players selected to compete - in singles, Luc Fomba and Juan Carlos Aguilar - and in doubles, Fomba/Fearnley and Jong/Maxted. In fact, Fomba and Fearnley are the top seed in doubles; this is the best ever TCU doubles ranking, topping David Roditi and Paul Robinson who were 2nd in 1995. Fomba, Fearnley and Aguilar are therefore automatic All-American status. Jong and Maxted will earn that if they make the quarters or stay in the ITA Top 10.
I can’t make it from Dallas in time for tomorrow’s match but I’m leaving the baseball game for the Saturday match, if there is one.

Longfrog

Sander wins his breaker so frogs take 4 of 6 1st sets. Fearnley already won his 2nd set to level his match and we’re up breaks on 5 and 6 looking to close those out.

Jared7

Solid first round W over Drake to avenge the 2013 first round L which knocked us out of the NCAA's in one of Roditi's early years. And Utah knocked off Mississippi! The CR guys were theorizing that the Rebels were a possible threat to take the regional. Utah is good - they were very hot early in the season and only ran into trouble in the PAC 12 conference season. Beating Ole Miss is a very good W for them.

The set line-up thang really only applies to the 1 thru 5 positions normally. Anyone 6-8 can be slotted at 6th whenever. The rule just means that, if you substitute in 1-5, then everyone moves up rather than just substituting a #7 for a #5 on a one-shot deal. The important part of the rule is that #1's stay at #1, #2's stay there and so on. It's designed to lessen (but not eliminate) the inevitable "gaming" that goes on in coaches trying to get the best match-ups in any individual dual. Maxted at #6 means that Maxted, Ruehl and Jirousek can play at #6. If someone above him is "injured," though, it's Maxted that moves up to #5.

Longfrog

The rule just means that, if you substitute in 1-5, then everyone moves up rather than just substituting a #7 for a #5 on a one-shot deal.
That was my guess, but thanks for confirming. It does seem a little weird to sit the guy you have listed at #6 even thought he's playing doubles, but I guess everyone's playing the same game. I can't imagine even wanting to sit any of our guys 1 through 5 for matchup purposes, but if we do take an injury, I agree with the call to roll the dice with Maxted at #5 rather than Jirousek.

Jared7

#37 Utah over #32 Mississippi wasn't the only upset in the first round of the NCAA's. Other unexpected results were #38 Oklahoma over #23 Louisville and # 34 LSU over #22 SMU (the Ponies won't get that shot at Texas). Everything else held to form and some regionals don't start until tomorrow. Baylor's got the Aggies in their regional final.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
#37 Utah over #32 Mississippi wasn't the only upset in the first round of the NCAA's. Other unexpected results were #38 Oklahoma over #23 Louisville and # 34 LSU over #22 SMU (the Ponies won't get that shot at Texas). Everything else held to form and some regionals don't start until tomorrow. Baylor's got the Aggies in their regional final.
Baylor vs Aggie. Just thinking about who I would prefer to win that is giving me hives. Is there a way both could lose? Because if I have to choose I can’t.

Jared7

Baylor vs Aggie. Just thinking about who I would prefer to win that is giving me hives. Is there a way both could lose? Because if I have to choose I can’t.
I'm for the Aggies. Baylor is our Nemesis (we've lost 6 of the last 7) and any way they can be eliminated, I'm all for it! The earlier the better. Gig em!