• The KillerFrogs

TCU Men's Tennis - 2020-2021

Pharm Frog

I just watched the last game on Ct 5 and I gotta say that I'm not a fan of that punkish behavior and language by both sides. And it sure seemed to me that the honor system broke down a couple of times at least

Jared7

Huang beats Broom 6-3 on a no-ad and Texas wins 4-2! So, TCU is now 3-0 and Baylor and Texas are both 3-1. Longfrog's objections notwithstanding, if we beat tech tomorrow, we will clinch at least a share of the Big 12 regular season championship. Obviously, if we beat both Tech and Baylor, we win outright - that's the ideal scenario. Both Texas and Baylor will be rooting for us to lose - especially Texas because they'll want us to lose to Baylor too and they could then claim a shared championship.and a W over Baylor, with whom they would be tied if we lose 2 in a row. If, however, form holds, and both TCU and Texas beat Tech, then we are staring at either a 3-way shared championship (w/Texas and Baylor), or an outright W if we beat Baylor. A lot is now at stake.

And yes, Baylor is punkish and their fans encourage it. Gladly, the Baylor match will be at home. Regardless of what happens at Tech, we need as big of a fan turnout as is legal and possible on Sunday - Ft. Worth residents, please try to attend!

And let me say (again) that our W over Texas is now super-impressive. They are the reigning national champs, they are the only team to beat Florida all season, they just beat #2 Baylor and they beat USC when they were #1.

Last edited:

Jared7

What’s the attendance situation? Limited capacity? Any free foodstuffs?
I don't know what the attendance rules will be for Sunday's match against Baylor. We've played so few home matches this year, so it really hasn't been much of an issue. Way earlier this season, the announcement said that only a limited attendance would be allowed, with players and coaches granted a certain number of passes. If enough fans call and ask, I expect an announcement prior to Sunday with perhaps a modification (and maybe some free food). We'll see - it's a big match and restrictions are in the process of being lifted. I don't want to go all tcumaniac or anything, but my view is that they should limit it to a "reasonable" amount (say 200) and if everyone masks up and sits apart, that there would be ample room for most everyone who wants to attend.

To clarify what happened last night at the end of the Texas-Baylor match, Texas' Chi Chiu Huang hit an ace to win it, but of course, Baylor called it out which precipitated an expletive filled argument. The chair ump over-ruled the bad call and Texas won. Baylor had beaten Texas twice this season...

The Frogs lead the nation with 8 ranked road W's - if we win today, we'll set a new program record. Luc Fomba and Alastair Gray are now ranked #4 in doubles. If they finish there, it'll be the first time since 1997 that TCU will have a Top 5 team (since Ashley Fisher and Jason Weir-Smith did it).

Tech has won 8 of their last 10 - they're undefeated at home. The match is scheduled for 5:00 p.m. (CDT). A Big 12 title is definitely on the line; both today and on Sunday.

Jared7

On the collegetennisranks what if site, I punched in a road W over Tech and a home W over Baylor, and if that were to happen, TCU would leap frog all the way to #2 in the country. On twitter, they were projecting Texas as #2, but I think they're focusing on the wrong team. Ain't nothing gonna get us past Florida, but it's possible that we could emerge from the weekend at #2 (depending on how other matches fall).

Jared7

It'll be #4 Fomba/Gray, Paroulek/Jong and Fearnley/Kurzban against the Techsters in doubles at Lubbock. Just starting...

Weak start. Fomba/Gray down a break; Paroulek/Jong and Fearnley/Kurzban even on serve.

Luc/Ali break back. All sets even on serve - 4-all; 4-all; 3-4.

Luc/Ali up a break now, but both other sets are still even (and we're serving last). 5-4; 4-5; 4-4.

Teddy/Sander up a break! 6-5!

Fomba/Gray win 6-4!

Last edited:

Jared7

Paroulek/Jong win 7-5 and the Frogs take the doubles point!! TCU 1 Tech 0!

Singles will be (1) Fomba v. Wynn; (2) Gray v. Valiev; (3) Jong v. Ribero; (4) Fearnley v. Collier; (5) Paroulek v. Azoidis; and (6) Martin v. Arevalo.

Weak start in singles: 1-3; 2-all; 2-all; 1-3; 1-4; 4-0.

Fairly even now: 4-3; 3-4; 3-3; 2-5; 3-4; 4-3.

First sets wrapping up and very tight: Fomba wins 6-4; Gray falls 3-6; Jong up 5-4; Fearnley falls 4-6; Paroulek falls 3-6; Martin up 5-4. They've won 3 first sets.

Jong wins his first set, but Martin broken and it's 5-all. Tech has the momentum now and a slight lead.

Last edited:

Jared7

We're in major trouble - Martin falls in his first set 5-7 after leading 4-0. They've won 4 first sets.

Fomba 1-3; Gray 1-2; Jong 1-1; Fearnley 3-0; Paroulek 3-2; Martin 0-0.

Fearnley goes to a 3rd set.

Paroulek falls and it's TCU 1 Tech 1. It may seem even, but actually we're behind. Fomba 3-5 and about to go to a 3rd set; Gray 5-2 and about to go to a 3rd set; Jong 2-3; Fearnley just starting his 3rd set; Martin 1-all in his 2nd.

Looking a little better. Fomba 0-1 in his 3rd set; Gray 3-1 in his 3rd; Jong 6-5 in his 2nd; Fearnley 4-2 in his 3rd; Martin 4-2 in his 2nd.

I'm beginning to breathe again. We've seized the momentum in the later sets.

Last edited:

Jared7

Confidence is growing! Fomba 2-1 in his 3rd; Gray 4-2 in his 3rd; Fearnley in the breaker in his 2nd but even if he loses it just means a 3rd set; Martin 4-all in his 2nd. We just need 2 of these; Tech needs 3 of 4.

Alastair goes up 5-2!

Luc up 4-1!!

Juan down 4-5 and in danger of losing his match (sigh)...

Big Al takes it 6-2 and it's TCU 3 Tech 1!!!

Longfrog

Seemed like we were in an iffy spot and just flipped the switch. Fearnley especially was down 5-1 in the 1st I believe, lost it 6-4 on a deuce point, andthen cruised the rest of the way. It did look windy and I've gotta think Tech has a pretty big advantage at home since they play in it every day.

Longfrog

Whorns win 4-2

Didn't realize they were playing yesterday. Bigger surprise to me than the overall result is Baylor playing Stachowiak at 3 and Lah at 4. I don't think they've done that all year. Stachowiak was a rock at 4 all year while Lah was a mess at 3. They tried to gamble with the switch and get 2 points and instead got none. Lah is now winless in his 4 B12 matches.

Jared7

I'm pretty sure that most fans don't really need a preview of Baylor - our rival and constant opponent. But here it is anyway. Baylor is 26-4, 8-1 on the road, #2 in the country and one of the top teams in the country; having returned much of their team (minus Benedict Brooksby) and recruited 1/3rd of Duke's team as graduate transfers. Their record is gaudy - they have W's over Lamar, ACU, SMU (twice), Michigan, Texas, OU, UT-Tyler, A&M, Texas (again), Illinois, Trinity (twice), UTA, Wake Forest, Arizona State, Arizona, Louisiana, Dallas Baptist, Lamar (again), SMU (again), Oklahoma State, Oklahoma (again), ACU (again), Tech and Midwestern State and L's only to TCU, North Carolina, A&M and Texas. There are definitely some good W's in there and all the L's are quality, but there's some fluff in there too. That reflects a difference in scheduling philosophy in which the Bears wanted to schedule as many matches as possible in order to get accustomed to winning. All-time, TCU leads the series 35-21, including a 30-match win streak we had from 1975-1998 and a 15-match win streak they had from 2002-2015. Since then, we're 4-2, including the 1/31 4-1 match we won earlier this year to snap their 2-match W streak.

We know their players well. In January, they took the doubles point - Gray/Fomba beat Sven Lah/Constantin Frantzen; but Jong/Kruger lost to Adrian Boitan/Nick Stachowiak and Martin/Paroulek lost to Charlie Broom/Matias Soto. But then, we stormed back and won 4 singles matches - Fomba over Boitan; Gray over Soto, Jong over Lah and Paroulek over Broom. Jirousek v. Stachowiak and Martin v. Spencer Furman went unfinished. Like us, they have 5 ranked players. They are experienced and play a disciplined style (and only occasionally bad call their opponents on match point).

I think this qualifies as one of the biggest TCU v. Baylor matches of all time. We're 4-0; they're 3-1 in the final match of the 2021 regular season. If we win, we take the trophy outright; if not, they'll tie us (and so will Texas if they get by Tech in the Lubbock winds.) They'll be favored in the Big 12 tourney in Waco, so if we want arguable superiority this season, we need to take the regular season crown by ourselves.

The match is scheduled for 3:00 p.m. (CDT). I'll be at work and will miss it. Hopefully, fans will be allowed and we'll have a good turnout.

Jared7

The CTR What If app is fun to play with but it's not yielding the results I want. If TCU beats Baylor and Texas loses to Tech, we win the Big 12 outright and would be the top seed in the Big 12 tournament and would rise to #2 in the nation. That's the ideal scenario. If, however, TCU beats Baylor and Texas beats Tech, we would win the Big 12 outright and be the top seed in the conference tourney, but Texas would be #2 and we'd be #3 in the ITA rankings. Ugh! And then, if we lose to Baylor and Texas beats Tech, there'd be a 3-way tie for the regular season championship and Texas would get the top seed because they'd move up to #2 and we'd be #6 and Baylor #5. And the tiebreaker rules would make us the 3rd seed because we lost to Baylor. And finally, if we lose to Baylor and Texas loses to Tech, then Baylor gets the top seed because they beat us H2H (although we'd be 2nd seed (and get the bye) because Texas wouldn't tie for the championship).

The reason for all this is because Texas is getting beau coup credit for beating Baylor (and presumably Tech) on the road.

Bottom line - the only way we get the top seed is if we beat Baylor. And the only way we get the top seed and move up to #2 is if we beat Baylor and Texas loses to Tech.